This is a unique vegetarian culinary odyssey of flavors through time in lovely Crete.
This vegetarian / vegan cooking week holiday is the perfect way to relax, learn some new culinary skills, and experience the culture and stunning landscapes that Crete offers as a guest (not a tourist).
You will travel like a local taking the path that is less traveled. We are here to help you.
During the week you will create delicious and healthy vegan menus, full of traditional Greek dishes, learning new cooking methods and exciting ancient recipes, you will refresh your vegetarian and vegan culinary skills and you will enrich your skills and imagination and improve your veggie choices back home. In addition, you will combine your foodie experience with wonderful surroundings while being part of the local culture.
We have selected the vegan and vegetarian best recipes and we have adopted our artisan cooking holiday to the needs of all those vegans or vegetarians out there! It will be a complete immersion in Crete’s way of life and food culture going back to its origins in ancient Greece with visits to local producers for wine and honey tasting, excursions to beautiful coastal national parks and archeological sites, as well as fascinating market tours.
Most of the people are wondering what makes rural Crete so special and unique ... maybe the welcoming people, the wonderful food and wine, the history of food since the ancient times and the long meals among friends and family?
Your base or better "your home" for this week will be a small olive farm, surrounded by olive groves and vegetable gardens, in the district of Apokoronas in the north western part of Crete, a 30 minute drive from Chania's picturesque town. The property includes a traditional cottage with a terrace that looks across the plain to The White Mountains. There’s a kitchen in the cottage, but also an outdoor kitchen in the yard with a wood oven, barbeque, sink and an extremely large wooden table, just right for outdoor eating.
- cooking workshops, which lead on to enjoying what you just cooked and introduce you to the local gastronomy while going back in time thousands of years, rediscovering ancient Greek cooking.
- a real insider experience of rural life in Crete.
- visits to artisan producers here will really get you under the skin of life in rural Crete and help you appreciate why it is so centered around food and socializing.
Greek veggie or vegan cooking workshops :
The week will include four hands-on cookery sessions based on Cretan cuisine. With the focus on local vegetables, it is all about simple regional and seasonal home-cooking. Most of the cooking takes place over a wood fire while you will get a chance to sample a selection of Greek wines, with some produced by local varieties. We want to make sure that you will experience all the right flavors so we will provide most of your meals which have been specially selected and organized by us. On those days that you will be venturing around on your own we will provide you with recommendations to choose from.
Visits to artisan producers:
Honey, wine, olive oil and local cheese. Four products that will be on our daily menu – so visiting the people behind these products is a must. Scattered in different villages in the area a beekeeper, a wine producer, an olive oil producer and a cheese-maker will welcome us to their production units and offer a bit of their knowledge. Honey will no longer be just honey! And you will never look at a goat the same way again.
As well as getting to know the culinary heritage of Crete you will have the chance to enjoy Crete’s outstanding nature sites, during our visits to wonderful beaches and Natura sites, nature reserves well known for their unique biodiversity.
Your accommodation can range from small traditional cottages that sleep 2-4 people to larger luxury villas. All accommodation is located in and around the village of Litsarda, close to The Olive Farm. As soon as you send us your eqnuiry to plan your holiday we will discuss your specific accommodation requirements. We will provide a range of options for your particular tour, with photography, before you book the holiday.
Day 1 / Arrival
- Pick up from the airport – or the city center of Chania.
- Transfer to your accommodation in the area of Apokoronas, a leafy region in the Northern coast of Crete with numerous villages between the olive groves and vineyards. Small reception with drinks and meze and info on the schedule of the week.
- Free evening to explore the village – bikes are available
- Meals: Snack
Day 2 / Introduction to Cretan Gastronomy – Central Market
- Visit Visit the central food market in Chania along with our chef – buy provisions for our workshop and identify the products that have their roots in ancient Greece.
- Visit the Venetian harbor of Chania and walk round the old part of town
- Cooking workshop – Dinner at the Olive Farm – The menu also includes ancient Greek dishes.
- Meals: Breakfast & Dinner
Day 3 / Honey bees – Olive oil Soap
- Cycle to the local apiary. Learn about the local flora combinations and the types of honey produced in the area. We will sample honey and buy supplies for our cooking workshop (protective equipment will be provided). Option for car transfer is available.
- Al fresco lunch at the local “kafeneio” (café) or at the beekeepers garden with wine and raki, herbal tea and honey sweets.
- Olive oil soap workshop, learn to make your own handmade soap using olive oil. We have revived the original ancient Greek recipes.
- Evening free to spend as you like
- Meals: Breakfast & Lunch
- Cycling or walking: 40 min - Difficulty: easy
Day 4 / Day excursion to Knossos Palace and Zeus Cave
- Alternatively (tell us what you prefer during booking), we can spend the day visiting the Palace of Knossos and learn about the Minoan Civilization (1700 – 1450 BC). A private archeologist will provide all the necessary information. Our next stop will be Zeus Cave – a natural cave that legend suggests it was the birthplace of Zeus.
- Early dinner in one of the best restaurants in the area serving traditional Cretan food and dishes rooted to the ancient times.
- Meals: Breakfast & Early Dinner
Day 5 / Local Winery
- Visit the local winery – spent some time at the vineyard and have cheese and wine tastings during lunch at the winery. Crete is famous for its wine from local grape varieties and its goat’s cheese so you should never leave the island without having tasted both!
- Cooking workshop and dinner at the Olive Farm – we will revive ancient Greek recipes and cook in clay pots as it was done during the Minoan civilization.
- Meals: Breakfast & Light Lunch & Dinner
- Cycling or Walking: 40 min - Difficulty: easy
Day 6 / A coastal palm forest – Slow food
- Excursion to the coastal palm forest of Preveli in Southern Crete, a protected area and nature reserve. You will have the chance to admire the nature, swim in the river or the sea and even take up a windsurfing lesson if you feel like it on the next bay!
- Slow food restaurant dinner in a small establishment in the foothills of the White Mountains.
- Meals: Breakfast & Dinner
Day 7 / Farewell Dinner
- Free day – You may spend the days as you like, we can arrange archeological visits in Chania – Let us know when during your booking
- Our final cooking workshop at the Olive Farm with a farewell BBQ party. By now you are an expert and have grasped the true spirit of Greek gastronomy.
- Meals: Breakfast & Dinner
Day 8 / Departure
- Breakfast and Departure for the airport or the city center of Chania depending on further traveling arrangements
- Meals: Breakfast
Suggested dates 2017
11 Apr – 18 Apr (V1)
25 Apr – 02 May (V2)
02 May – 09 May (V3)
23 May – 30 May (V4) (Solo Travellers)
06 Jun – 13 Jun (V5)
20 Jun – 27 Jun (V6)
18 Jul – 25 Jul (V7)
01 Aug – 08 Aug (V8) (Solo Travellers)
22 Aug – 29 Aug (V9)
12 Sep – 19 Sep (V10)
26 Sep – 03 Oct (V11) (Solo Travellers)
10 Oct – 17 Oct (V12)
- Accommodation in traditional guest houses
- Breakfast – Lunch – Dinner except day 6 and 7 which are Breakfast and Dinner.
- Carefully selected top quality traditional meals
- All transfers to and from excursions
- All workshops and and activities fees Cheese, wine and honey tasting sessions
- Visits to artisan producers and any entrance fees
- Bicycles and equipment
- Single rooms
- Meals adopted to specific allergies
- Bicycles and bike equipment
- Car rental although we encourage biking
- Private driver
- Specific dietary needs at your accommodation
- Extension of visit in Crete
- Guided visits and transportation to archeological sites
Price per person: Get in touch and we will give you a quote depending on your preferences and exact requirements. Children receive up to a 30% discount.
Please contact us for availability and further information when you have some dates in mind to check for availability, along with any other questions you may have.
All e-mails are answered promptly, usually within 24 hours.
From time to time itineraries may be amended, either for operational reasons or in response to feedback from customers. Please ensure you have read the latest Trip Notes before booking or traveling on your tour. Please note that while we operate successful trips in this region throughout the year, some changes may occur in our itineraries due to inclement weather and common seasonal changes to timetables and transport routes. This can happen with little notice so please be prepared for modifications to the route.