We're constantly scouring lovely Crete for exciting new places, small hotels… Crete still has so much to reveal.
Arcus Suites, is one of those places.
A small complex of old Venetian stone mansions, a preservable archaeological monument, charming, hospitable, and with great respect for humanity and its needs: simplicity, harmony, warm hospitality, clean air, village atmosphere.
Arcus Suites located in the small village of Argyroupolis at Rethymno-Crete, which is well known for the site of the ancient city of Lapa, a prominent city during the Roman times, its natural springs, the lush scenery and the welcoming locals.
The entire complex of buildings, dating back to 14th and 15th century, was declared in 2005 by the Ministry of Culture as "Preservable Archaeological Monument". Since then the houses renovated with respect for the style and architecture and created 5 independent luxury suites.
All the suites retain their architectural features and fascinating atmosphere of the Venetian people, their predecessors. Ambitious dome, stone arches, burrstones, axes, arches, stone fireplaces, wooden floors and ceilings, interior gardens, cobblestone courtyards emphasize and highlight the charm.
Immense love and care has been lavished on these ancient houses. The careful restoration was carried out with full respect for the original architecture and the spirit of the place.
The mansions and paths suites can accommodate up to 6 people each, all year long.
The respledent garden (500m2), overflowing with fruit trees, shaddy sitting corners and colorfoul flowers and herbs, the wood oven, the BBQ, and the pool area is very inviting ideal for relaxation, reading a book ... dreaming.
Breakfasts at Arcus Suites are legendardy. Owner Yiannis’s mother, Mrs. Argyro prepares the most delicious pies, bakes traditional cakes and makes delicious homemade marmelades with local fruits.
Argyroupoli Village (27 km southwest of Rethymnon) is built on the ruins of the ancient city of Lappa, one of the most important Roman cities in western Crete – of which very few remnants survive. Being in the foothills of the Lefka Ori is a watery oasis formed by springs, keeping the temperatute markedly cooler, ideal for fine walking and hiking as well. The upper and lower village are well preserved and many of the Venetian mansions are still residences. Inside and around the village are excavated parts of the ancient city, Roman remains, Venetian buildings with beautiful doorways and Byzantine churches.
- Hotel Name: Arcus Suites - Argiroupoli - Rethimno
- Area: Rethimno, Argyroupolis
- Why Go: Village Atmosphere, Friendly Environment, Family-Friendly, Beautiful Terraces and Gardens, Quiet Location, Rustic
Why we like it
- The beautiful suites and the gorgeous gardens, and the feeling of utter peace and quiet. This is the perfect hideaway.
- Relaxing and traditional stay with a touch of luxury in central Rethnimno, Crete. The owners are very nice and helpful, the breakfast is delicious!
- You feel like going back in time, the houses is clearly old but extremely well kept and there is really cared about the details everywhere.
- A true invitation to relax and discover the Cretan traditions and the lovely, unique area of central and south Rethimno.
What to know
- We recommend that you rent a car as other means of transport are limited and/or infrequent. The best option to discover Crete.
|Hotel Information||Recommended For|
|Type:||Small Hotels & Inns||Architecture & style :|
|Rooms:||6.00||Family hospitality :|
|Pool:||Yes||Village Atmosphere :|
|Children:||Welcome||Nice atmosphere :|