A place of calm and friendliness ... a place to forget the world.
Agia Roumeli is so much more than the exit of Samaria Gorge and most visitors don't stay longer to explore this lovely area. They don’t know what they’re missing!
Agia Roumeli is spectacular and unique, nestled between breathtakingly high and wild mountains, bordered by a long beach of fine pebbles leading into crystal-clear turquoise waters in which to wade and splash with the deep blue Libyan Sea stretching out before you to the horizon. A place to truly relax and switch off the outside world. Walking and hiking trails traverse unspoilt and protected nature and lead to the Samaria Gorge National Park or historical ruins.
It is truly possible to spend weeks discovering all this beautiful area offers, or relaxing into its slow charm, and our best option for accommodation is the family-owned Artemis Studios.
Artemis Studios is blissfully set away from the Samaria Gorge entrance (therefore it is a quiet place) on the outskirts of Agia Roumeli and is only 100m from the pebble beach. It offers 12 self-catering studios, each accommodating up to four people.
The Viglis family offers guests a warm and gracious hospitality and has an intimate, detailed knowledge of the area as the family originates from the village of Samaria. They also offer one of the best organised activities in the area: Samaria Experience.
The delightful and tastefully decorated large studios, with stylish wood furniture and quality fittings, are quietly positioned and away from the main tourist route into Samaria Gorge and the ferry landing.
Each air-conditioned studio is suitable for 2-4 persons and has a living-room with an attractive dining corner. It has a pretty, built-in kitchenette with a practical work bench, a shower/WC, and one or two balconies. A wooden staircase leads to a sleeping gallery with either one double bed and one single bed or two built-in double beds, depending on the unit.
Each kitchen is equipped with refrigerator, cooking hobs, kettle, frying pan, dishes, glasses, and cutlery.
Small groups are welcome and there is a shaded outdoor veranda under pine trees located a few minutes’ walk away where small workshops (yoga, for example) could be run.
- Hotel Name: Artemis Studios - Agia Roumeli
- Area: Chania, Agia Roumeli
- Why Go: Adventure,Countryside,Friendly Environment,Mountains,Quiet Location,Relaxed,Village Atmosphere
Why we like it
- Agia Roumeli is a small, secluded and calm village located 56km south of Chania Town, on a wide half-moon bay at the exit of the Samaria Gorge.
- If you choose to stay in the village for at least one night, you will have the opportunity to admire this beautiful place with its unique people and the stunning natural scenery.
- Don't miss the pleasure of tasting the delicious food at the Viglis family's Artemis Restaurant. Local ingredients and traditions. Dishes cooked in clay pots in the wood oven are particularly worthy.
What to know
- The best view is the corner room on the second floor with a great sea view!
- The only way to reach the village is either on foot through the Samaria Gorge or the coastal paths or by ferry from either Chora Sfakia via Loutro or Paleochora via Sougia.
|Hotel Information||Recommended For|
|Type:||Apartments - Studios||Young Couples :|
|Rooms:||12||Village Atmosphere :|
|Children:||Welcome||Family hospitality :|
|Closed:||November to March||Family :|