Interesting, gorgeous and atmospheric place to stay in the heart of the old town of Rethymno with one of the best restaurants in Crete. First opened in October 2005.
History and beauty combines; these ancient walls, these cherished stones and these beautifully designed interiors. Plush, stylish, spacious and exquisite.
Each suite has a colour theme. This is tastefully applied and all fittings, fixtures and furniture describe a grand style. Some period feel and anchoring of time and place are achieved with exposed stone, well-mated with hearty wood beams and floors. Bathrooms are also a delight (some suites have the jacuzzi tub in the bedroom - a romantic touch). Without doubt this is a honeymooner's dream!
The seven suites are in two buildings a few meters from each other; above either Rethymno's renowned restaurant, "Avli", or their food ingredients & wines shop, "Raw Materials" - a source of delight for foodies, cooks, chefs, gastronomes, gourmets (or those shopping for one!).
Your breakfast is served at the restaurant. The rooftop of one building includes a tiled, open air jacuzzi tub for up to 10 people and panoramic views across the old town, all Rethymno and the fortress.
The inviting and elegant Avli restaurant is a dining delight. A gourmet restaurant focused on the time-steeped dishes, local produce and delicious traditions of Cretan cuisine but taking a creative step further, towards the best of Mediterranean fare.
The restaurant is large but intimate, divided into different look and feel areas, with Venetian arches and interesting iron-glass artistic decor. Includes a sophisticated wine bar, which draws on a collection of well over 400 Greek wines (our favourites are all available!). Wonderful opportunities for wine-tasting; you will also have knowledgeable and helpful advice available from the experts at Avli.
"Avli" means "courtyard"... the dining courtyard at Avli restaurant for fair weather days is filled with charm and distinct character. This name reflects but a seed from which has grown a jewel in the town of Rethymno.
Wonderful, intelligent, well-informed hospitality is offered by the owners of Avli, who go out of their way to help you experience the very finest and best, the most interesting and unique aspects of Rethymno and Crete.
Rethymno, with its Venetian character and fortress, fine restaurants, good shops, sandy beach at walking distance and located just over an hour from both Chania and Heraklion is an ideal base for your stay in Crete.
And if you wish to enjoy being in the middle of the historic old town and want this stay to be in comfort and style - Avli suites is the best of places in Rethymno, without doubt. Treat yourself, spoil your cherished one.
- Hotel Name: Avli Suites
- Area: Rethimno, Rethymno Town
- Why Go: City Style, Design, Food & Wine, Honeymoon, Romantic
Why we like it
- Interesting, gorgeous and atmospheric place to stay in the heart of the old town of Rethymno, steps away from the sandy beach and main sights.
- Avli is a combination of all-suites hotel with restaurant, wine cellar and a shop with traditional products.
- Wonderful, intelligent, well-informed hospitality is offered by Avli's superb, friendly team.
- The inviting and elegant Avli restaurant is a dining delight.
- Eight-person rooftop Jacuzzi, with parasols, deck chairs and splendid city views and castle views.
- Raw Materials shop on-site stocks local olive oil, wine and other delicacies — great presents to take home.
What to know
- All Junior suites are without balconies or any views, and those overlooking the courtyard restaurant can be a bit noisy duirng the breakfast and dinner time.
- There’s no elevator or ground-floor accommodation, so it’s not suitable for those with impaired mobility.
- The old town area is pedestrian-only. So you park on the nearest street or in car park. The nearest parking spaces are a five-minute walk away; staff will assist with luggage on request.
- Peaceful and romantic, Avli is more geared to couples than families.
|Hotel Information||Recommended For|
|Type:||Small Hotels & Inns||Food :|
|Pool:||No (Roof Top Jacuzzi)||Weddings & Groups :|
|Dining:||Avli Restaurant||Nice atmosphere :|
|Children:||Welcome, but more ideal for couples||Family hospitality :|
|Closed:||Never||City Style :|