Cretan Traditional Villas, in the heart of this small and most pleasingly friendly, traditional village, three autonomous, renovated stone-built traditional houses with mountain views for a unique Cretan experience.
Gavalochori Village is near Chania (half an hour by car) and in an area of attractive rolling hills, speckled with villages. Within a short drive of sea and sandy beaches, attractive villages nearby. Perhaps the direction Frank Lloyd Wright might have taken had he come to the village today!
This ancient village is well-positioned in the western province of Chania (Hania) for visiting both Chania (Hania) and Rethymno, two of the loveliest coastal towns in Crete. Yet don’t forget to also visit the many beach resorts, well worth visiting while in the area.
This is a place where you get to really feel the local pulse and calm, the style and life of this island – yet you are in a truly traditional stone-built house, lovingly restored with full respect to tradition and fully-equipped for a relaxing and most enjoyable holiday.
There is a generally calmer atmosphere about western Crete, coupled with the legendary Greek hospitality, that makes you feel welcome everywhere.
The Cretan Traditional Villas are amazing properties that have been lovingly restored by a thoughtful owner, Mr. Tasos Bonoris. Because they were originally constructed hundreds of years ago, don't expect square, box-shaped rooms with bland, flat, plastered walls typical of modern apartments. This accommodation simply oozes character and history with the rough textures of stone walls, bare wooden stairs, rafters and a homely feeling of having been lived in by many a generation of inhabitants.
Just 150 meters from the village's square, in the centre of an olive grove of 3000 m2, a small complex consists of two renovated buildings – the Pery residence, the main house for 300 years, and the Olive Press, meaning the old oil-press. Both houses have typical characteristics of the village and communicate with each other.
A few steps from the central square is the other residence, Erghina, which is a typical example of the traditional architecture of the Apokoronas region and has been awarded by the Ministry of Culture for its perfect renovation. This is your place: Cretan Traditional Villas.
A nice couple is at your disposal and glad to help you during your stay. They will be happy to inform you about the many attractions and activities of the area.
- Hotel Name: Cretan Traditional Villas-Gavalochori
- Area: Chania, Gavalochori
- Why Go: Art & Culture, Beautiful Terraces and Gardens, Classic, Peaceful Rural Setting in Village, Quiet Location, Relaxed, Village Atmosphere
Why we like it
- In the heart of this small and most pleasingly friendly, traditional village, three autonomous, renovated stone-built traditional houses with mountain views for a unique Cretan experience.
- Gavalochori Village is near Chania (half an hour by car) and in an area of attractive rolling hills, speckled with villages. Within a short drive of sea and sandy beaches, attractive villages nearby.
- A true challenge to relaxation, discovery of the Cretan traditions and the lovely unique area of Apokoronas.
- There is a generally calmer atmosphere about western Crete, coupled with the legendary Greek hospitality, that makes you feel welcome everywhere.
What to know
- We highly recommend that you rent a car as other means of transport are limited and/or infrequent.
- The Houses are not suitable for disabled people.
|Hotel Information||Recommended For|
|Type:||Houses||Architecture & style :|
|Rooms:||3.00||Cheap & Chic :|
|Pool:||No||Nice atmosphere :|
|Dining:||No||Village Atmosphere :|
|Closed:||November to March||Mountain :|