Kastellos is an old village which stands elevated above the north coast near Lake Kournas (where there are several tavernas) of eastern Apokoronas.
It is accessible to Rethymno and Chania and sits in an area with many trees and much greenery. The long expanses of north coast beaches are but a ten minute drive away.
Kastellos Village is truly a "traditional house" dating from 1910 and consists of two complexes, the Central Complex that is open the whole year and Agatha Complex and having one of the oldest olive trees in its garden as guest, accompanied by apple, apricot, pear and orange trees. Terracotta tiled roof with stone and plaster walls.
Each one consists of four traditional stone houses, which offer all the modern comforts that the guests need and also a magnificent ambience. Decor is traditional with exposed wood roof beams and stonework, terracotta tiled roof with stone and plaster walls; furnishing is in sympathy with the house and surroundings.
Terraces and gardens with views of dreamlike countryside and the sea in the background and the mature gardens full of apple, apricot, pear and orange trees, give ample opportunity to sit and read, dream, chat or just enjoy the views and calm The complex is ideal for those wishing to relax enjoying the Cretan countryside.
Kastellos is nothing more than a dream of Mr Yiannis (owner) to rebuilt each one of these houses before falling apart, where his family was living in many years ago. The love of the village and his desire to leave the stress of the big cities, made him start this project in 2005 and after 4 long years the houses where ready to operate in 2009.
Each one of the them is named after the owner’s family which lived in these houses , where ‘Captain Antonis’ was the name of his father who was leading a rebel team that fought on the 2nd world war and they were calling him ‘Captain Antonis’, ‘Anezina’, his grandmother who lived 110 years due to the Cretan way of life. The most amazing thing about her was that she never used any medicine when she was ill, not even an aspirin, only herbs!!
Mr ‘Barbagiannis’, his beloved uncle, who fought in Albania during the 2nd world war and did something incredible that a lot of us would not believe. After the end of the war he walked back from Albania to ‘Kalamata’ took the boat to ‘Kissamos’ and then again walked to his house in Kastellos.
The complex is ideal for those wishing to escape everyday routine and relax enjoying the Cretan countryside, it’s for those who want to contact the nature, the wild life, the tastes of the local food where you can ask Miss Maria down the road to cook something for your dinner, and of course to meet the people and their habits.
- Hotel Name: Kastellos Village Houses
- Area: Chania, Kastellos Village
- Why Go: Village Atmosphere, Countryside, Lovely Views, Peaceful Rural Setting in Village, Relaxed, Family-Friendly, Friendly Environment, Mountains, Private Pool, Rural, Quiet Location
Why we like it
- A unique place at a rural village of Crete, just a 15 minute drive away from the resort of Georgiopoulis and a million miles from the hustle and bustle of a big city.
- The view over the countryside is stunning and the place is very clean. It has all the charm you would imagine: wooden shutters and hand-crafted furniture, a basic kitchen, efficient air-conditioning.
- The staff is extremely gracious and warm, happy to offer you authentic cretan hospitality.
- Try the local cuisine at Maria's tavern, just down the road is a must, the variety is not big, but the tastes and the quality are excellent.
What to know
- You need a car in order to discover this lovely area and please bear in mind that there are small narrow and winding roads in the village.
|Hotel Information||Recommended For|
|Type:||Houses||Architecture & style :|
|Pool:||Yes||Family hospitality :|