As the serpentine road meanders along and you pass through small villages clinging to steep slopes covered in olive trees, eucalyptus, and a parched lushness of golden grasses, you know it's there just ahead, somewhere, but it's still a cool surprise: a small, white & blue building facing the sea, sitting in glorious solitude on the beach.
Tucked away in a relatively sheltered sand and pebble bay on the remote and undeveloped lovely south coast of Crete, just after tiny Kerames Village, this small complex of 4 white & blue apartments and 2 studios is going to be your favourite amongst those offering an escape from the world for a brief moment in time.
Kionia’s exterior has much in common with the small houses of the Cyclades islands, but the interior comforts are quite different. Kionia has luxuries such as dishwashers, TV and DVD players, computers with printers, air conditioning, fireplaces, mosquito screens, and washing machine (shared).
For walkers and those who like to get away from it all, the position of these apartments is just superb. A string of sandy, pebbled beaches and sand dunes run to the east until the bigger beach of Ligres (less than 2km away) with its 2 tavernas, and then on to west and east Triopetra where you’ll discover another two tavernas, and yet further onward to distant Agios Pavlos.
And if you decide to explore to the west, you will find equally beautiful, small, quiet, sand and pebble beaches that end up at the eastern back side of Preveli palm beach, just below the impressive Moni Preveli Monastery, solitary on its hilltop.
Hanging precariously above the coastline is the pretty, white village of Kerames – certainly worth exploring. For shopping, however, you will need to drive about 20 minutes to Spili. If you do intend to self-cater, you will need to stop and buy your provisions as you pass through.
- Hotel Name: Kionia Apartments
- Area: Rethimno, Agia Fotini
- Why Go: Beach-front Setting, Lovely Views, Quiet Location, Romantic
Why we like it
- Amazing sunsets during September and October.
- Walkers and those who just want to escape from it all will love Kionia.
- The apartments are built on a beautiful mountain slope beside the sea, literally right on one of the beautiful beaches of south Rethymno, with breath-taking views of the Libyan Sea.
What to know
- You need to rent a car as other means of transport are limited and/or infrequent.
- People who cannot stand the silence and just the sound of the sea will have a problem.
- There are approximately 30 - 50 steps up to the apartments from the parking area.
|Hotel Information||Recommended For|
|Type:||Apartments - Studios||Marvelous view :|
|Pool:||No||Young Couples :|
|Dining:||Self Catering||Nice atmosphere :|
|Children:||Yes||Cheap & Chic :|
|Closed:||November to March||Family :|