This re-discovered area of Chania - the Splanzia area - is on the edge of the marina which leads on to the Venetian harbour, from where the old buildings of Chania's famous waterfront are on view.
A 5 minute walk from the rich-produce and gift-packed indoor central market, 3 minutes from the waterside of the marina end of the Venetian harbour (which is itself barely a 10 minute walk).
Splanzia Hotel is an elegant, family-owned small town hotel with exposed stone, fine eight rooms with antique decor, pleasing bathrooms and a feel of solid quality. Converted with taste and inspired design features, it opened in 2006 and renovated in 2016. The hotel's stone walls and arches blend with antique and chic design and furnishings. At the entrance, Splanzia Hotel has an uncluttered small, smart cafe which leads to a walled courtyard.
On a mild sunny day breakfast is served in the courtyard or if you prefer (and on less inclement mornings) indoors, where a tasty preparation for your day is delivered to your table. The courtyard retains an ancient Turkish well - functioning (but not recommended for a drink of water these days!).
Service is intimate, relaxed and friendly, with emphasis on using fresh homemade and local produce in anything served – Nikos and Yiannis the owners believe the famous Cretan friendliness should not be forsaken to be “chic”!
Giving the Italianate feel befitting its Venetian origins, a find of an inn, a charming small hotel, however you describe it, this is a pleasing & different way to enjoy Chania.
Every room at Splanzia boutique Hotel has been individually designed by (Bentley Awards World’s best architecture winner) designer John Yiannikakis with a perfectionist eye for detail and with the guest’s comfort foremost in mind creating a calming and luxurious ambience. Adorned with a mixture of contemporary and classical furniture are decorated in a mixture of quiet yet elegant style while utilizing state of the art equipment available to achieve our guest’s comfort , all within a stunning Venetian building, epitomizing the timeless style of Splanzia hotel.
If even more enjoyment by Chania's waterfront, or shopping its narrow old streets or cafes, and chances to try even more local dishes seems something to leave for later - on one or other mornings of your visit - perhaps basking in the rooftop terrace sun may do the trick.
Shops of all sorts are at your starting point as you walk out the entrance, a wonderful local foods and wines specialist shop is two doors away.
- Hotel Name: Splanzia Hotel
- Area: Chania, Chania Town
- Why Go: City Style, Elegant, Shopping, Friendly Environment
Why we like it
- The brothers Yiannis and Nikos are the most delightful, lovely, helpful and pleasant proprietors.
- This small hotel is homely, has a really nice happy energy about it.
- Rich breakfasts is amazing, lots of different tastes such as Greek yoghurt, small cheese filled pastries, omelettes, melon, crepe filled with banana and freshly squeezed orange juice. Maybe you will not need lunch
- Ideal situation, close to Chania’s lively food market and a short stroll away from the Venetian harbour and its bustle of tavernas and shops
What to know
- It could be a bit noisy from the street during the busy months in Summer.
- Parking at Chania is always a problem but Yiannis is going to do his best in order to find you a space near the hotel.
- Cramped bathrooms but smart and pleasing.
|Hotel Information||Recommended For|
|Type:||Small Hotels & Inns||Cheap & Chic :|
|Rooms:||8||City Style :|
|Pool:||No||Quality Of Service :|
|Dining:||Breakfast||Family hospitality :|
|Children:||Yes||Architecture & style :|