We will start in the small, country village of Kournas, set against the foothills and amongst olive groves, we follow the dirt track slightly uphill towards the mountains.
We pass the small chapel of Agios Ioannis and gradually continue uphill to the highest point of the walk. We are treating to panoramic views Almyros bay and the eastern Lefka Ori or White Mountains.
Then, we head and walk into the unique ("holm-oak") Azilakas Forest and continue in the shade of its very dense canopy. Azilakas forest is a dense and untouched forest with Holm Oak trees, a large evergreen oak native to the Mediterranean region.
After approximately 1-hour hiking on a clear path (can sometimes be slippery as it is downhill on fallen leaves) the great forest ends and alongside vineyards we cross a small valley.
Up ahead the village of Kournas is visible, perched on the hill. The last part of our guided hike takes us back up to the village square from a different approach, offering us stunning views of the whole area.
- The small, country village of Kournas.
- The unique ("stone-oak") Azilakas Forest
- Stunning views and varied scenery
- Small groups (max.8-10 persons) - Private/Semi-private groups
- English-speaking host from hotel pick-up to hotel drop-off
- Private transfers (hotel-Kournas Village-hotel). Transfers are based on hotels located in the area of Chania (Platanias to Kalyves)
- Personal expenses
Dates & Prices:
- for 2 people: 155.00 Euros / per person
for 3 people: 115.00 Euros / per person
for 4 people: 100.00 Euros / per person
for 5 people: 100.00 Euros / per person
for 6 people: 75.00 Euros / per person
- for 2 people: 115.00 Euros / per person (no transfer)
for 3 people: 85.00 Euros / per person (no transfer)
for 4 people: 70.00 Euros / per person (no transfer)
for 5 people: 60.00 Euros / per person (no transfer)
for 6 people: 60.00 Euros / per person (no transfer)
- This trip can be organized from April to October.
- We do not have a fixed/weekly program, all trips are upon request and depend on availability.
- If you are a family, a bigger group? We can customise this trip according to your wishes.
- For cancellations over 20 days before the excursion date, any amount paid is refunded.
- For cancellations up to and including 20 days before the excursion date, no amount paid is refunded.
Good to know:
Hiking time (approx.): 3.5 hrs + stops
Elevation difference: 215m - 350m - 150m
Walking on: Path (sometimes uneven terrain, earth, and stones), dirt track, paved stone path.
Suitable for: Anyone in good health who enjoys hiking, children over 12 yrs.
Don´t forget: Hiking boots (closed/sports shoes), sun hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, water, snack/fruit, camera, hiking poles (advisable)
PLEASE NOTE: If excursions have to be cancelled due to unsuitable weather (heatwaves, high winds, heavy rain predicted etc), then any amount already paid is refunded. The decision to cancel rests with our Partner Travel Agency. Often, weather conditions can differ greatly from one location in Crete to another (e.g. north to south) so do not be put off by weather conditions where you are staying in Crete. Please note that weather conditions can only be predicted 1-2 days prior to the excursion date, especially at the beginning and end of the summer (April/May and October). On the date of the excursion, each participant will be asked to sign a “Participant agreement, release and acknowledgment of risk” statement in order to participate in the excursion.
Health issues: If any participant suffers from any severe allergy (e.g. to bee stings) or has medical/health issues we need to be aware of, it is important to let us know in advance. This is clearly a safety measure, personal information is by no means violated and all discretion is exercised.
Insurance: The partner travel agency is covered by Professional Liability Insurance. Each participant is advised to take out health/travel insurance before travelling to Crete.