The good health and longevity of the Cretan people is owned to the traditional Cretan diet. The Cretan diet is considered to be the most representative and qualitative example of the so-called Mediterranean diet. It is based on olive oil, vegetables, fruits, legumes grains and wine.
Maybe it is time to learn more about the precious essential Cretan Olive Oil?
Experience how Koronekes Mill produces one of the best olive oils in Crete. It is one of the rarest private exploitation in Crete to be equiped with its own mill.
Koronekes is located nearby Spilia and Arhanes Village in Heraklion Perfecture and they have one of the bigest olive grove in Crete.
They press their own olives, on the estate, at their mill built in the heart of their land in order to guarantee an excpetionnal product and to ensure constant and diligent control over the entire production.
Koronekes aims to be in harmony with Nature and the environment. Their goal is to produce a natural and healthy product having undergone careful handling from the tree to the bottle. Strictly controlled production methods allow no additives at any stage of the process.
In order to preserve their trees from the scorching summer heat we irrigate with a drip system tailored to meet the olive trees’ needs. No water is wasted through evaporation or run-off. They protect olive trees against the olive fly in a natural way with the products that have been approved by the EU.
Fertilizations are controlled and moderated according to the tree's needs. Most of the fertilizer we use is natural and comes from the olive paste itself that we call "Pyrina". Once totally dry, the paste can be spread into the fields.
These and much more you could learn and experience during your visit at Koronekes Olive Mill.
Please ask us for contact details in order to arrange your visit at Koronekes Mill.
The Tour :
- The tour starts in Koronekes courtyard, surrounded by olive trees. Looking at the trees, we will talk about our organic farming and how the olives are harvested.
- Then, we will enter the olive mill where we will explain how extra virgin olive oil is made. Showing and explaining all the machines, you will learn about the traditional method of First Cold Pressed. We will also explain the modern method of Cold Extracted.
- Afterwards, we will go to the tasting table where we will first analyse what is an extra virgin olive oil and how to buy olive oil. We will tell you about acidity and the other values that make an olive oil exceptional. We will explain what to look for on a label.
- Finally, we will taste the 3 qualities of extra virgin olive oil we produce according to the principles of the organoleptic analysis. We will also taste 2 of our flavoured oils such as lemon zest or basil, a sweet Cretan vinegar and Petimezi (grape syrup).
- We will, of course, be happy to answer any questions you have.
- At the end of the tasting, we will give you a 40ml bottle as a souvenir.
Not Included :
- Gratuities (optional)
- Any products will be bought from the Koronekes Mill
10.00 Euros per person
Koronekes Olive Mill is opened Monday to Friday from 9 am to 2 pm, but the tours are by appointment only.
Cancelation Policy :
- A cancellation must be done 48 hours before departure.
- In case of later cancellations, no refund will be made from CreteTravel.com.
- If a tour is cancelled due to few participants or bad weather conditions, CreteTravel.com will refund 100% of made payments.
Please contact us for availability and further information when you have some dates in mind to check for availability, along with any other questions you may have.
All e-mails are answered promptly, usually within 24 hours.
We drove to the koronekes olive mill nearby Archanes and it all worked our great! One of the highlights of our trip in Crete! Thanks!
- Amy C.
Kalimera Yianni, Apologies for the delayed response. The group had a fantastic time despite all the last minute changes. They enjoyed Koronekes and all purchased goodies.
Thank you for all the flexibility with the transfers and chopping and changing. Everything worked out a treat and look forward to working with you again in the future. All the best,
We enjoyd a great visit to the farm. The staff was extremely friendly and accommodated a last minute request for a tour and tasting. The tasting was really very interesting. Thanks again for your warm welcoming and for creating such wonderful products.
- Ralf D.
Such a wonderful tour from Popi, a great person. The olive oil is excellent and for sure we will buy these products in the future.
- Yvonne B.
This was an absolutely amazing experience being guided around the small factory, the family are super knowledgeable and the tasting is superb. Absolute highlight of our holiday and a must-visit on your next trip to Crete.
- Reto A.