This tour is a subversive approach of the most famous palace of Crete and the Minoan civilisation, The Knossos Minoan Palace.
This programme is adapted to families with children (interactive methods, games, separate booklet).
There is the possibility to include a 2 hour trekking, with the archeologist, from the sanctuary of Anemospilia to the peak sanctuary of Yiouhtas in Archanes, through a ancient, path with a stunning view.
Knossos, the great city of Minoan Crete, was the seat of the legendary king of the island, Minos, son of Zeus and oriental princess Europe.
The earliest ancient sources mention the name of Minos with the word “Enneoros”, i.e. the king his term lasted nine years. Every nine years Minos ascended to the mountain edge of his earth, to receive the law of God itself, essentially to renew the sanction of his nine-year office. The scenery around the palace of Knossos provides one of the most imaginative mythical landscapes of this nine-year ritual process. On the outskirts of Knossos lay the mountain that may be climbed and the rivers that flowed from this mountain leading to Knossos and the palace of the king, forming the paths and roads of this area.
You will have the opportunity to become acquainted with this ancient “fabulous scenery”: the landscape of mountain, rivers and roads of the region, where the town and the palace of Knossos were built up.
The excursion to this historical landscape, gives the stimulus to know the ways of measuring time by the Minoans, i.e. to get to know their calendar: the power and management on time, was as severe as the responsibility for the successful Space management, by Minos the great King of Knossos.
- Driving (or trekking) at the top of the mountain Yiouhtas (811m.).
- Guiding around the Minoan sanctuary of Anemospilia.
- Visiting the hilly area of Fourni where the picnic will take place
- Starting from 45 euros per person (in a group of 12 people)
- Note: THIS TRIP IS A PRIVATE EXCURSION
- Child under 6 years old free of charge.
- Child 6 - 12 years old 15 % discount.
- Discount is not valid if the participants are only 2.
- Presentation of the theme by an archaeologist (English speaking).
- A manual specially edited by the archaeologist for this programme.
- Picnic in nature adapted in the minoan era.
- Everything described above.
- Transport from your accommodation to the sites proposed and back to the hotel (upon request with extra cost).
- Guiding with the archeologist inside Knossos archeological site.
- Entrance fees to museums and organised archaeological sites.
- Translator (upon request with an extra cost).
- Personal Insurance (upon request, with an extra cost).
- Beverage (soft drinks).
- Personal expenses, tips.
- Anything not mentioned above.
The surroundings of the archaeological site of Knossos (15 km from Heraklion Town)
Note: For other languages, possibility to have a translator, with a supplement.
- Suitable for ages over 12 years old (experience required)
- Necessary personal equipment: Sunscreen oil, hat, sunglasses, comfortable shoes for walking,
- PLEASE INFORM US of any dietary needs/particularities you might have (allergies, intolerances) or other health issues we have to take into consideration. Many thanks.
For more info and reservations please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org