The secret aromas of Cretan wines ...
A fascinating tour guided by an Enologist ( wine specialist ) in the most famous wine region of Crete through Dionysus' "juices" (musts) in order to learn the secrets hidden in the grape and in the cultivation of the vine.
We will eat (a nice, healthy picnic) in nature, we will visit unknown ancient open-air wine presses, we will taste a few of the best Cretan wines.
A pleasant and learning experience.
A glass of wine includes the aroma of the florescence of the vine and the herbs which grow on its border, the taste of the ripen grape that the picker tastes before throwing it in the bucket, the sound of the viticulture's steps and the pickers’ laughs, the touch on the shoots which is either soft or violent, the sight which is lost in the extended green (canopy) and calms the spirit.
The wine is a result of senses but is as well enjoyed with them. Each of the senses has its own role, the sight corresponds to the color, the smell to the aromas, the taste to the flavours, the touch to the mouth feel, but what about the hearing?
In the "secret aromas of wine", is hidden the term of "terroir", which corresponds to the soil, climate, cultivation and personality factors, that make a wine unique, means with identity.
The indigenous Cretan grape varieties are well incorporated, since centuries, in the natural environment of the island and express the richness (in flavors) of the land which had nourished them.
Those are the elements to be discovered at this eight hours trip, in the heart of the viticultural area of Heraklion in Crete.
- Initiation in the theme in a tasting room.
- Visiting by a private 4X4 vehicle the ancient wine presses.
- Visiting by a private 4X4 vehicle the vineyard of our enologist and getting involved in the seasonal field-works in her traditional Cretan vineyard (possibility to trek for 1h 30min - go and return - to visit the ancient wine-presses, passing from olive groves and beautiful rural landscapes).
- Picnic in nature, under the shadow of the olive trees.
- Return to the tasting room where a tasting of Cretan wines accompanied with paximadi and cheese will be provided.
Starting from 45 Euros per person (in a group 12 people)
Note: THIS IS A PRIVATE EXCURSION ( No appropriate for children )
- Escort and presentation of the program by an enologist (who is also a producer).
- Wine tasting of 5 local wined of high quality in a special room for wine tasting.
- Manual for each traveler, specialized on this particular trip.
- Picnic in the fields.
- Everything mentioned above.
- Transport from your accommodation to the sites proposed and back to the hotel (upon request with extra cost).
- Personal Insurance (upon request)
- Beverage (soft drinks)
- Personal expenses, tips.
- Entrance fees to museums and organized archeological sites
- Anything not mentioned above
Wine routes of Heraklion, Crete
Greek, English, French
Note: For other languages, possibility to have a translator, with a supplement.
- Necessary personal equipment: Sunscreen oil, hat, sunglasses, shoes for walking in a rocky soil and inside the vineyards & small rucksack with your personal items
- PLEASE INFORM US of any dietary needs/particularities you might have (allergies, intolerances) or other health issues we have to take into consideration. Many thanks.
For more info and reservations please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org