This is the perfect tour for you if ...
... you would like to discover the steep gorge of Platania in the lush valley of Amari, in Rethimno to seek the birds that has touched Cretans more than any other. Please note the that this trip takes place in the majestic Geopark of Psiloritis - A Geological Heritage of Unesco, Protected by Natura 2000 for its biodiversity.
The impressive Gorge of Platania is located in the southwestern foothills of the historic mountain of Psiloritis (Idi Mountain) and has been acknowledged as an outstanding natural site for hikers, wildlife photographers and discerning travelers with special interests.
We will observe the behavior of Vultures’ daily life. Touring their last viable micro-communities is accompanied by exploration of the bird fauna of the island and the role this king of the Vultures plays in it.
- The marked, well-preserved path climbs the hillside in a weaving, manner crossing a scenery of unique landforms and great naturalistic, landscaping value at the western boundaries of Psiloritis Geopark.
- Psiloritis Range is the mountainous backbone of Crete with the highest peak of the island at 2.456 m. and has the second largest alpine zone after Lefka Ori or White Mountains on the west.
- All four kinds of native oak trees are represented in the region. Beautiful Valonia and Downy Oak forest (Quercus macrolepis & Quercus pubescens respectively), sprawl themselves from the northern Rethymnon till the steep western slopes of the Psiloritis. Kermes Oak (Quercus coccifera) and Holly Oak (Quercus ilex) trees form clusters and sparse forests in the steep slopes surrounding the gorge.
- The path escalating the gorge is an entrance to the unknown world of birds of prey over ecosystems of inland Rethimnon. Because of a viable livestock economy and the survival of traditional forms of agriculture, the sub mountainous zone is characterized by mosaic habitat, endangered in other areas of the Mediterranean, which offers abundant food for small mammals of Crete, thus “generating” prey for predators and scavengers.
- Crete has some of the biggest worldwide insular populations of big raptors, such as Lammergeier (Gypaetus barbatus), Golden Eagle (Aquila chrysaetos) and Griffon Vulture (Gyps fulvus). The vertical eroded walls bordering the marked path are used by a thriving vulture colony and one active territory of Gypaetus barbatus.
- Up to the mountains: trekking or alternatively driving into “Natura” landscape.
- The oldest lady of East Crete: visiting the ancient olive tree inside the valley of Kavousi.
- Archeological treasures: tour to the archeological site of Azorias (12th-6th cen. BC).
- Tasting a local snack at a local kafenio.
Starting from 55 Euros per person (in a group 12 people)
Note: THIS TRIP IS A PRIVATE EXCURSION
- Children under 12 years can not participate.
- Children from 12 to 18 years old, can participate, as long as they have a significant trekking experience.
- Discount is not valid if the participants are only 2.
- English speaking mountain Guide with a specialisation in bird-watching and environmental studies
- Booklet adapted to the theme & Maps
- Personal accident insurance, powed by LLoyd's Insurance company.
- Light lunch (picnic in nature with fresh products and local delicacies)
- Bottle of Water
- Transport from your accommodation to the sites proposed and back to the hotel (upon request with extra cost).
- Beverage (soft drinks)
- Personal expenses, tips.
- Entrance fees to museums and organised archaeological sites
- Anything that is not mentioned in the paragraph above.
6-7 hours (Starting from Platanias Village)
Aproximately 600 m.
Max. Altitude: 950 m.
Min. Altitude: 420 m.
Amari Valley in Rethymnon, Gorge of Platania, Geopark of Psiloritis - A Geological Heritage of Unesco, Protected by Natura 2000 for its biodiversity
- Medium difficulty (2A**)
- Not ideal for people having vertigo
Note: For other languages, possibility to have a translator, with a supplement.
- Suitable for ages over 12 years old (experience required)
- Necessary personal equipment: Sunscreen oil, hat, sunglasses, trekking poles, windproof, shoes for walking - trekking & small rucksack with your personal items
- PLEASE INFORM US of any dietary needs/particularities you might have (allergies, intolerances) or other health issues we have to take into consideration. Many thanks.
For more info and reservations please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org