This is a fascinating trekking tour in the highlands of Psiloritis Natural Park - Geopark of UNESCO.
Due to its rich geodiversity, its beautiful scenery and its history and tradition, Psiloritis Natural Park was included, from its early foundation, at the European Geoparks Network, and later at the Global Geoparks Network by UNESCO.
Psiloritis Mountains rose up through the sea a few million years ago when the African continent encroached on Europe. The surrounding Talaia Ori Mountains that extend till the northern coast and the valleys of Mylopotamos, Messara and Amari are all included within its boundaries.
During this tour we will walk on the footsteps of common Minoan people in the highlands of Psiloritis Natural Park. The subalpine zone to the north of Psiloritis central ridge is the highest in altitude archaeological park of Crete, comprising some of the most notable excavated ancient sites of the island, as Idaeon Antron Cave - Zominthos.
The geological importance of the area is also outstanding and relevant to the nomination of Psiloritis as Geopark, member of Global Geoparks Network by UNESCO. The Flora and Fauna of the highest mountain of Crete stimulated some of the first scientific missions in modern times.
- Initially we pay a visit to Psiloritis Geopark Information Center in Anogeia.
- Then, we drive southwards to Zominthos and from there on we begin our hiking journey to the north face of Psiloritis central ridge.
- The guided tour emphasizes on aspects of natural and human made environment in the legendary mountain of the Minoan cult of Zeus.
- We will walk over parts of the E4 European Path and other traditional paths used by shepherds.
- The hiking route features the distinct geological characteristics, typical of the rocky terrain of the Psiloritis Geopark. Caves, sinkholes, rockshelters, dolines, underground rivers and karstic formations, deep gorges, plateaus, superficial fault zones, vertical cliffs and successive geological layers of different color are some of them in the sparsely wooded subalpine zone just below the highest ridge in the island with five, visible from afar, recognizable peaks, between them the highest of the island at 2.456 m. Psiloritis serves as the main water tower of central Crete, storing and channeling huge amounts of winter rainfalls and snowfalls into springs and fountains through its complicated underground network of eroded limestone from its peak to altitude 0.
- Zominthos & Idaeon Antron Cave were sites inside a systematically visited region, part of the Minoan religious worshiping system, related to the cult of Zeus until Roman times. The mansion of Zominthos was the most important Minoan economic centre of the area and was probably serving as a stop for the pilgrimages to the sacred Ideaen Cave and coordinating the stockbreeding of Psiloritis. These two characteristics - namely the sanctity and the stockbreeding importance of the place - are also distinguishable in the original myth about Zeus upbringing in Idaeon Antron Cave. Cults on upper part of Psiloritis never disappeared, but they were never of the same importance from Christian times onwards. Both Idaeon Antron and Zominthos are included in the most important archaeological discoveries of all times in Crete.
- Contemporaneous human made environment is not absent from Psiloritis subalpine & alpine zone. Remarkable structures using the dry stone corbelling building system are still used for constructing circular stone huts (mitata, Pl.), essential for stock breeding economy during summer. The same method has been used recently in order to build the church of Saint Iakinthos very close to Zominthos site, which is reknown for its annual summer festival. One of the most profound applications of this primitive technique can be seen in Minoan domed tombs where, again, no binding material was used for building the walls.
- The highlands on the north face of the central mountainous ridge of Psiloritis - between them the outstanding Nida plateau - serve as habitat for a rapidly developing forest with dominant tree species the Maple (Acer sempervirens), the Kermes Oak tree (Querqus coccifera) and Hawthorn (Crataegus monogyna). Sparse woodland is successed buy grazed mountain meadows or - more often - by shrub land and brushwood, where Berberis cretica and other rare and often endemic species of Crocus and Tulip thrive. Grazing seems to play a crucial role in the process of forestation from the level of bushy vegetation. Among the most important species of fauna on Psiloritis mountain are Cretan Wildcat (Felix silvestris cretensis), Lammergeier (Gypaetus barbatus) and Griffon Vulture (Gyps fulvus).
- Starting from 50 euros p.p. in a group of 12 pax.
- Note: THIS TRIP IS A PRIVATE EXCURSION.
- Children are allowed to participate over the age of 12, given that they have experience in trekking.
- Children 12-15 years old 15 % discount.
- Discount is not valid if the participants are only 2.
- Visit in the information Center of Psiloritis Geopark.
- Experienced mountain / cultural Guide.
- First Aid Kit.
- Short manual
- Water (1 lt)
- Small meal in the countryside, that complies with typical Cretan gastronomy, including traditional and local products
- Transfer from the end of the path back to the vehicle
- Personal accident insurance, powed by LLoyd's Insurance company
- Transport from your accommodation to the sites proposed and back to the hotel (upon request with extra cost).
- Personal accident insurance (upon request with a supplement).
- Drinks, personal expenses and tips.
- Translator (upon request with an extra cost)
- Anything that is not specifically mentioned in the paragraph above.
4 1/2 - 6 hours
Rethymnon Prefecture, Central Crete Mountain Range: Psiloritis Range Geopark
Path-Signaling: occasionally marked, easy to get confused without guidance
Path condition: generally good Path
Altitude: 1170 - 1530 m.
Elevation gain: 600 m
Note: For other languages, possibility to have a translator, with a supplement.
- Suitable for ages over 12 years old (experience required)
- Necessary personal equipment: Hiking shoes or good quality athletic shoes, Swimming costume, Thick socks, Hat, Water, Backpack, Trekking poles (available upon request at the minimum possible extra charge).
- PLEASE INFORM US of any dietary needs/particularities you might have (allergies, intolerances) or other health issues we have to take into consideration. Many thanks.
For more info and reservations please contact us: email@example.com
15% EARLY BOOKING, If you confirm your reservation at least one month before the start day of tour.