Crete, is a place known since ancient times for the quality and diversity of its aromatic and medicinal plants and herbs.
Botanical studies have revealed that Crete has one of the richest and most interesting ecosystems in Europe, with a large number of endemic plants, such as “Malotira” and “Dittany”.
"Wild herbs of Crete : The use of unknown herbs of Crete in medicine and gastronomy" is a fascinating tour, which will immerse you in real Cretan nature & food culture while walking through enchanting hidden countryside.
The program includes a presentation by two young local producers / agriculturalists on site (2 different herb gardens). During this visit you will have the opportunity to touch, feel and learn a lot about the various plants, and finally to taste dishes made with the herbs from the gardens in an idyllic place under the historic Venetian village (region of Sitia, eastern of Crete).
We will enjoy an delicious, healthy and light meal with products coming directly from the garden of the producers.
Crete, since ancient times is well known for the quality and diversity of its aromatic and medicinal plants and herbs.
Cretan producers of spices today offer the market a multitude of aromatic herbs, such as oregano (Origanum onites), basil (Ocimum basilicum L.), linden (Tilia cordate mill.), Marjoram (origanum majorana), thyme (thymus sibthorpii benth.), mint (mentha), rosemary (rosmarinus officinalis), laurel (laurus nobilis L.), chamomile (matricaria chamomilla L.), sage (salvia officinalis) etc. All of them have always been used since ancient times as medicinal plants and many are mentioned in the texts of ancient authors who attribute to them exceptional therapeutic properties. It is mentioned in the writings of Homer, Aristotle, Evripides, Theofrastos, Virgil, Plutarch, Dioskourides and Galinos.
Several of these remarkable Cretan plants (including dittany) grow on the steep mountains of the island and are picked by experienced herbalists and then dried in natural conditions. This rock-loving hardy little bush has rounded leaves, tough exterior and colonises in hard places. Known for its healing properties, this little tiny plant is the stuff of legends going back for centuries, becoming myths.
They are then taken to the modern facilities of local firms , where they are packaged without any use of chemicals or other treatment.
It is now easy to find these plants. You can drink them as teas or use them to flavor your dishes made according to the recipes of the Cretan diet. Current units with the latest technology ensure that they retain their natural flavor and all their therapeutic properties.
The trip step by step
- Driving to the meeting point with your guides
- Walking around the fields of the plateau with the two young farmers (anglophones) and discussion on the characteristics of those wild herbs of Crete that are used to the local cuyisine, but also to medicine.
- Presentation of the herbs and participation in small works to dry, pick them up and use them in the kitchen (depending on the time).
- Rich picnic in nature
- Starting from 40 euros per person (in a group of 5 - 12 people)
- Note: THIS TRIP IS A PRIVATE EXCURSION
- Child under 6 years old free of charge
- Child 6 - 12 years old 15 % discount
- Discount is not valid if the participants are only 2
- The guiding by the two Cretan agricuralists / producers (in English)
- Presentation of the herbs
- Information notes about herbs
- Outdoor picnic
- Everything mentioned above
- Transport from your accommodation to the sites proposed and back to the hotel (upon request with extra cost).
- Translator (upon request with an extra cost)
- Personal Insurance (upon request with an extra cost)
- Beverage (soft drinks)
- Personal expenses, tips.
- Anything not mentioned above
Sitia Region, East of Crete
Note: For other languages, possibility to have a translator, with a supplement.
- Suitable for ages over 12 years old (experience required)
- Necessary personal equipment: Sunscreen oil, hat, sunglasses, shoes for walking,
- PLEASE INFORM US of any dietary needs/particularities you might have (allergies, intolerances) or other health issues we have to take into consideration. Many thanks.
For more info and reservations please contact us: email@example.com