description Book now
Join us on an introduction to sea kayaking for a "Level 1 Sea Kayak Course".
- Small Group
- Sea Kayak
Interested to discover what sea kayaking is all about then this is the sea kayak course for you.
Learn the basics of sea kayaking including basic rescue techniques.
The course aims to provide you with the necessary skills to paddle any sea kayak with safety. The course is suitable for people without any paddling experience or with limited experience seeking a proper way to learn and improve their skills.
During the course, we will have the chance to do a nice journey we well while practicing during the trip.
The course aims to learn the basics properly as poor paddling skills can lead to serious injuries.
During the course, you will learn
1. How we carry the kayak
2. How we properly put the kayak to the roof rack
3. Forward paddling
4. Moving sideways
5. Moving sideways and keeping speed
6. What we need to be aware of to paddle in a straight line
7. How we stop the kayak
8. Proper fitting and posture
9. How to launch and land on the shore
10. Kayak parts & equipment
11. Deepwater re-entry (two different ways)
12. Wet exit
13. How to avoid capsize (low brace)
14. How to trim the kayak with skeg
15. Turning (included 360 degrees turning)
16. Stern rudder
17. Empty the kayak in deep water
20. Eskimo rescues
Duration of the course
The course takes place for 3 days, starting around 10 am and finishes at about 4 pm. During the winter there is great flexibility, just let us know which dates are suitable for you and we will discuss with other participants to make a plan.
You need to be at least 14 years old and now to swim. To run a course we need at least 3 participants. Maximum 6 participants per group.
What do I need to carry with me during the course?
- During the summer only your swimming suit and ideally a light neoprene shoe (not required but is wise to have with you).
- During the winter due to water been cold you need clothes to change after we finish the course.
- We will provide a neoprene suit suitable for sea kayak (those are different than canyoning and diving) plus a jacket if it is windy.
- We've got a few shoes in different sizes but there is a chance not to have your size and is wise to have your own.
- A light neoprene shoe (cost around 20 euros in diving shops) or sandals like Teva are fine.
Location of the course
Depending on the weather the course will start from the small marina of Pantanassa or Ligaria bay. The most likely scenario will be to take place in Ligaria bay. The bay is located about 20 minutes from Heraklion. If there are 6 participants the course can take place anywhere in Crete, like Chania, Rethimno, etc. Just get in touch with us to arrange this.
If the weather is too windy in the Heraklion region (it is quite common during July-August) the course will start from our base in Ilingas beach (https://goo.gl/maps/SrZsjh69hdCGTKxS9) at south Chania. In that case flying to Chania airport is highly recommended instead of Heraklion.
We provide free transport only from Heraklion city and or in the Amoudara area. You are welcome to overnight in any other area but you will need to meet us at a specific spot. The exact meeting point can be seen by following this link: https://goo.gl/maps/v95pn38HLbA2
250€ (sea kayaking equipment included).
Payment with cash upon meeting on the first day. In case there is an issue and you cannot complete the course, no refund is given. You can however complete the rest of the course wherever we run the course again. If it is a private course this can be arranged on any date. You can pay also with your credit card if you prefer.
The reviews for the Sea Kayaking Introduction Course - Level 1 Sea Kayak Course