description Book now
Come and enjoy a tour and wine tasting at one of Crete’s top wineries nearby Heraklion Town. The Douloufakis Winery is located at Dafnes Village amongst typical Cretan vineyards and produces wines from Cretan indigenous varieties but also international ones. Enjoy the taste of great Decanter-awarded wines in your glass!
- Small Group
- 1-4 Hours
- Gastronomy (Wine Tastings & Cooking Workshops)
Douloufakis Winery at Dafnes village is nestled in the hills above Heraklion, a 15 min drive from Heraklion Town, a place where tradition and innovation go hand-in-hand.
Come and enjoy a tour and wine tasting at one of Crete’s top wineries!
Douloufakis family has a long tradition in viticulture and winemaking, which starts in 1930, when grandfather Dimitris Douloufakis starts, for the first time, occupying professionally with the production of wines in old traditional premises. Nowadays, Nikolaos Douloufakis, grandson of Dimitrios continues the family tradition, after having graduated, as an oenologist, from the University of Alba, in Piemonte, Italy. After finishing his studies, he worked for wineries in Italy and then came back to Crete, where he proceeded to the reconstruction of the vineyard, the cultivation of new varieties, the mechanical cultivation of the land, and the implementation of ecosystem-friendly cultivation methods.
The vineyards are located within the wine-growing zone of Daphnes Village, a few kilometers south of Heraklion, in lovely Crete amongst typical vineyards.
Dafnes is a beautiful landscape and an intriguing terroir for vine growing as it combines altitudes of 350 to 400 meters, lots of limestone on the soil (associated with high-quality wine because of encouraging light water stress), and hillside vineyards. There, Douloufakis controls about 30 hectares producing approximately 300.000 bottles per year.
Nikos Douloufakis produces wines from Cretan indigenous varieties (Vilana, Vidiano, Spina Muscat, Malvasia, Mandilari, Liatiko, and Kotsifali) but also international ones such as Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Sangiovese, and Syrah.
Over the years Douloufakis Winery has been holding tours and tastings for travelers coming from all over the world.
Εnjoy the taste of great Decanter-awarded wines in your glass!
The winery is open Monday to Friday from 10:00 am to 15.30 pm. All tours are Monday-Friday and by appointment only (Scheduled tours at 12:00 pm and 14:00 pm)
Should any guest wish to host an event after hours, different rates and scheduling may apply depending on the type of event.
Greek and English
The Douloufakis Winery does not provide transportation but can arrange for special pricing with taxis if necessary and for certain routes. In case you need help with your car rental, please visit our sister website crete-car-rental.com
The Douloufakis Winery is prohibited by law from serving minors under 18 years old. They will not serve individuals who are intoxicated.
All tours and tastings are conducted by trained professionals.
All guests are able to purchase all available wines as well as other goods at the wine shop, on the winery's premises.
Pricing and Payment Terms
- Credit card details (Visa or Mastercard) are required to charge the deposit amount in order to confirm the reservation.
- No additional charges will be made to the credit card unless cancellation charges have to be applied.
- The Balance amount is to be paid directly to Douloufakis Winery upon completion of the tour in cash.
- Credit Cards are not accepted by Douloufakis Winery.
1. "Yamas" - Estate Wine Tasting
Scheduled tours at 12:00 pm and 14:00 pm
Duration: 1 hour & 20 min
3.00 €/ extra glass of wine per person
- Includes a guided winery tour by a member of the Douloufakis Winery team who will introduce you to the wine-making process.
- Then follows a tasting of a unique flight of six estate-crafted wines at the winery's cellar.
- The wine selection ranges from Cretan indigenous grapes, like Vidiano and Liatiko, to a variety of luscious international reds and whites.
- It is accompanied by Cretan rusks!
2. "Youphoria" - Vineyard Wine Tasting
Scheduled tour 12:00 pm
( 4 people minimum)
Duration: 2 hours
- Visitors’ wine experience starts even before arriving at the winery, as the route and the surrounded landscape are filled with images that emphasize the viticultural character of the region.
- In the tasting room you can taste Cretan & Greek wines, learn their features and talk about the varieties of grapes and the Cretan vineyard.
- A tour of the winery as well as the winery grounds
- A presentation and explanation of the wine-making process
- A tasting of 6 different dry wines ( 2 white, 2 red, 1 rose, and 1 sweet wine) paired with local Cretan rusks
3. "Cressida" - Cretan Olive Oil Tasting
Scheduled tours at 12:00 pm and 14:00 pm
Duration: 30 min
- Includes a guided tasting of some of the best extra virgin olive oils of Crete.
- The flight includes 3 olive oils from different areas of Crete and you will be surprised by the differences in their flavors, such as fruity, bitter, and spicy.
- Winery's certified specialists will be glad to answer any question and will provide lots of advice on food combinations.
Additional options for the above wine tastings
1. "Terpsis" - Accompanying Platter
The above wine flights could be paired with a platter of traditional Cretan cheeses and cold cuts, plenty for 2 people.
PS. Please clarify in your request, which one of the above tours you would prefer to join. Many thanks!
The reviews for the Winery Tour & Wine Tasting At Douloufakis Winery - Heraklion Crete
Reviews ( 3 )
Thank you for your email. I appreciate that we got a tour even though our booking had not been confirmed. My family enjoyed our visit to your winery. Our guide was informative and the tasting was most enjoyable.
Hi yiannis, It was wonderful. A short tour however the wine tasting was excellent. Overall last around 2 hours and we were very grateful for the extended time and extra wine tasting. Will highly recommend it. Regards
We took the Douloufakis winery tour during our stay in Heraklion and frankly we had a great wine tasting afterwards. The tour was very informative and the staff was super friendly and helpful. The wines were delicious - especially the red one and the sparkling wine!