description Book now
Chania (Khania, Hania, Xania, Canea), West Crete, Greece … Chania Old Town Walks - Private Tour With Official Guide, the private guided tour with an official guide of the Old City of Chania will give you the opportunity to obtain a deeper and more academic knowledge of the turbulent history of Chania.
- 1-4 Hours
- History & Culture
- Town Walking Tours
Always the first thing you hear about Chania - the Venetian Harbour, the old port, the narrow shopping streets, and waterfront restaurants.
Chania is a small, picturesque town worth getting to know, with a rich history. The history of Chania began in the Neolithic period and goes through Minoan Times, Roman Period (67 BC-330 AD), First Byzantine Period (330-824 AD), Arab Period, Byzantine Period (961-1204 AD), Venetian Period (1204-1645), and Ottoman period (1645-1912).
The city of Chania can be divided into two parts: the old town and the modern city which is the larger one. The old town is situated next to the old harbor and is the matrix around which the whole urban new area was developed. It used to be surrounded by the old Venetian fortifications that started to be built in 1538. Of them, only the eastern and western parts have survived. From the south, the old town is continuous with the new, and from the north the physical border is the sea. The center of the modern city is the area extending next to the old town and especially towards the south.
But what about a private walk-tour especially designed around the old town and Venetian port, which reveals Chania's status as a cultural crossroads?
The private guided tour with an official guide of the Old City of Chania will give you the opportunity to obtain a deeper and more academic knowledge of the turbulent history of Chania.
During this tour, your professional guide will accompany you and introduce you to Chania's cultural identity through storytelling.
- 240.00 Euros (1 -10 Persons)
- 275.00 Euros per (11-20 Persons)
- 300.00 Euros per (21-50 Persons)
- Private sightseeing tour with an official
- English speaking guide to be met at the town’s center – or your hotel’s lobby if in town.
- For guests staying out of town, roundtrip transfers can be added on request and at a supplement.
+/- 2 hrs
- Easy to medium level with flat and slightly uneven paved and cobblestone surfaces and some stairs
- Comfortable shoes and sun hat essential.
- Up to 2 days prior to the excursion’s date - no cancellation fees
- Less than 2 days prior to the excursion’s date - 50% cancellation fee
- No show – 100% cancellation fee
- In case the specific tour chosen can not materialize because of weather or other conditions beyond our control, clients will be able to reschedule for another day or will be offered a replacement tour. If the options offered are not accepted by clients, the tour is canceled and is fully refundable.
- We retain the right to cancel a tour in case of non-sufficient participation – since we run each tour for a minimum of 4 persons.
The reviews for the Chania Old Town Walks - Private Tour With Official Guide
Reviews ( 6 )
If you want to learn the history of Chania this is a must tour. Our guide was local and was very passionate about the history of his home town. He studied archeology. Very knowledgeable and our stay would not have been the same if we had not learned the local history. We saw more archeological sites in Chania and our guide answered any and all questions. Thanks a lot. Maria K.
Yiannis was really helpful even before we went on the tour. Our guide was on time at the meeting point, which was very easy to find. He gave us a fabulous tour of Chania, which was practical as well as historical. He also gave us an insight into what the locals liked to do which was very interesting too. Would highly recommend people doing this tour.
A great introduction to Chania town. Our tour guide, was very informative and patient with our questions. We enjoyed walking the streets and learning about Chania's history. Many thanks Yiannis for organizing this tour for my family.
We had been in Chania for three days before we did the tour. We thought we knew Chania in our walks through the old town but it was absolutely wrong. Our guide was fantastic, knowledgable, interesting and responsive to all our questions and needs. She was able to point out a myriad of things with historical significance that we had just walked past. She also gave us an integrated snapshot of the history of Crete - something that most tour guides seem to have trouble with. I would definitely recommend this tour.
We were pleased by our walking tour yesterday. Natalia did a great job showing us the town of Chania and introducing us to the food of Crete. We got some great restaurant recommendations, as well. We are now looking forward to our Gastronomy experience tomorrow! Thanks for everything, Cheers,
Hi Yiannis. We really enjoyed it. Our guide gave us a fascinating tour of the Old Town of Chania that was both informative and insightful. She is obviously proud of her home town. Definitely a highlight of our week in Chania. Thanks.