Samonas is a peaceful picturesque village in Apokoronas Region, Chania, Crete, Greece, which still preserves its authentic character since is really small and quiet and has very few inhabitants.
A fabulous traditional experience ...
... during night hours, thousands of stars will magnetize your eyes.
Samonas village is a hamlet, with just a handful of houses just 26km from Chania Town, Crete.
You will find the village driving through some of the most authentic villages in Crete.
The village reveals the historic heart of Crete, not just in appearance, but because it has this unique atmosphere of a Cretan village in the mountains in order to feel the warmth and uniqueness of Crete.
Samonas is also a wondrous place for walking and hiking with trails leading to attractive mountain villages, gorges, vibrant nature.
The village lives on stock raising and olive cropping. Exploring around you will find an impressive cave with stalaktites and flowstones and a part of it could be visit.
Here is located Samonas Inn a small traditional hotel, a group of craftsmen-finished and appealingly designed maisonette houses, each with one bedroom, a living room with a fully equipped kitchen and dining area. These stone buildings - old hewn stone with flower-decorated pathways in between, suggest a village in their own right.
Don't miss to rent a car if you want to explore this unique area of Crete.
How to get there
- By Air: From May through mid-October there are direct charter flights to Chania and, more frequently, to the capital Heraklion. Tickets can be bought in advance for almost all flights via our partner website.
- By Sea: The journey is the thing". A superb way of enjoying the journey to Crete is to fly to Athens and take the ferry from Piraeus (Pireas) - the port serving Athens. A still-romantic way to travel by the overnight ferry from Piraeus to Chania-Souda port or Heraklion Port. Tickets can be bought in advance for all ferries via our partner website.
- By Car: If you want to explore the region while you're here, we recommend that you rent a car, other means of transport are limited and/or infrequent. We suggest our sister website Crete-Car-Rental.com, which offers competitive prices and you can collect your car at either airport.
- By Taxi: Book your taxi transfer online easily and safely from the airport or port to any location via our website.
Where to stay
Here is located our Samonas Traditional Hotel a small traditional hotel, a group of craftsmen-finished and appealingly designed maisonette houses, each with one bedroom, a living room with fully equipped kitchen and dining area. These stone buildings - old hewn stone with flower-decorated pathways in between, suggest a village in their own right.
What to see & do
- Apokoronas Prefecture is well known for its hospitable inhabitants, its beautiful traditional villages and the unique natural beauty. It is worth visiting all of them, since each one has its own particular colour, traditions, folkways and history. Stylos, Neo Chorio, Armeni, Kalives, Plaka, Gavalochori, Kefalas, Vamos, Pemonia, Paidochori, Exopoli, Kalamitsi, Fylaki, Vrysses, Vafes, Argyroupoli, only to name a few.
- The nearest beach in Kalyves is located at a distance of 10 km, while you may also visit the nearby beaches of Almyrida and Kyani Akti, all awarded with the blue flags.
- You may visit Stylos springs, walk along river Kiliaris, marvel the biotope of Georgioupoli and the unique Lake Kourna found in Crete.
- If you prefer the mountains, there are also many trails to follow and interesting villages to visit. Ramni, Kares, Macheri, Kampi, Katohori, Fres, Tzitzifes, Embrosneros, Asi Gonia all with typical and authentic Cretan atmosphere. Going around the area you will come across hospitable coffee houses and beautiful taverns with traditional Cretan cuisine. Very often you will be invited for a raki from the locals. Do not refuse it and do not miss this opportunity to know them better.
- Or visit Turkish fort and the Minoan hill town of Aptera, with Roman cisterns, ruined Doric temples, and a still-intact 12th-century monastery; highlights of the new excavations are the foundations, flagstones, water ducts and more ... fabulous views as well. The Minoan Tombs in the same area are also impressive.
- In the entire region, there are more than 200 caves, the nearest Samonas cave located next to our settlement as well as the church of Agios Samonas
- The gorge of Diktamos, 10 km long, is spectacular. Inside the other very near gorge of the area the Ramni-Macheri you will come across the Byzantine church of Agios Nikolaos as well as of Agios Mamas.
- In case you would like to enjoy a day at Samomas Guesthouses, there is, after all, a pool to swim in and to relax. Perhaps get some exercise. A small gym with regular workout equipment is at your disposal. Or, if you prefer, you can rent a bicycle and explore the area on two wheels.
- Fancy a quick snack? The mews on the hillside, the tiny 4-house cluster that is Samonas the place to stay and just be, has its own authentic kafeneio for guests...help yourself to coffee and snacks, soft drinks, and basics and just leave the money in the jar - trusted, yes you are!
- Feel more active you can tackle the famous Samaria Gorge on a long day trip
- Visit Chania (40 min drive), with its lovely, picturesque Venetian fishing harbor, an Archaeological Museum housed in a former church, unique pedestrian alleys lined with arty shops, and an indoor market selling local products, herbs, and delicatessen
- There are boat trips from Almirida to the sea caves at Drapanos and from Chania to Agii Theodorii island, or maybe you would like to visit the well-known, spectacular Balos Beach from Kissamos Port (around 1.5 hours drive)
- The nearest beach in Kalyves is located at a distance of 12 km, while you may also visit the beach of Almyrida (14 km) and Georgioupoli (30 km), all clean and awarded with the blue flags The nearby long beach of Georgioupolis (20 mins) has great windsurfing, but if you prefer smaller, fine sandy beaches then you should visit Marathi or Stavros Beach- both near Chania airport (45 mins' drive) perfect for young kids to splash in as well
- If you're feeling more adventurous, drive over the mountain - past small, traditional villages and cypress groves - and head down a small road to the rocky coast and blue color sea of Ombrosgialos; there's a seasonal taverna too with quite good food.
- More activities at Chania Region
What to eat & drink
At our Samonas Traditional Hotel you have your own fully equipped built-in kitchen with oven, ceramic cook-stoves, refrigerator, freezer, dishwasher, microwaves, coffee pot, toaster, small electric sweeper, pressure cooker, and a whole line of well-known kitchen items to prepare your own local meals. Dining room with a large table and chairs.
"Kafeneio" / shop-like small communal indoor area with books, guide books, DVD films, and board games. Here you could drink tsikoudia, wine, herbs tea, and Greek coffee. Shop with basics (pasta, olive oils. jam, coffee, teas, bread, soft drinks, crackers ... and Cretan wines). Have prices on and you leave the money in a tin("honour" system).
The one and only taverna in the village offers homemade Cretan cooking with fresh and local ingredients. What is cooking today is what is on offer today. Unless you ask the owner and cook that morning for something in particular, for the evening's feast. But if the main theme of the day does not please, then the potato omelets are as good as such a simple dish can be, the salads fresh and crisp, local wine and that fine view blend in your senses with the aroma of herbs and the sounds of well, the Cretan countryside.
Another taverna is a few minutes, on the drive down to the village of Provarma - and in another minute's drive, you can be seated outdoors by the water springs at Stylos.
The reviews for the Samonas Village