- Enjoy relaxing and swimming. The beach of Plakias extends east from the village. It is one of the biggest beaches in Crete, offering a sense of space and comfort to suit every taste - the east end is mainly used by naturists.
- If it's windy during your stay in Plakias and the northern wind whips you with flying sand, head west to Souda Beach. It is more sheltered, with small hotels and a few tavernas.
- There are other lovely beaches near Plakias at Damnoni, Amoudi, and Mikro Amoudi, which is also a naturist's beach. A little further away are Lefkogia and Schinaria, the preferred beach for scuba divers.
- The Beach of Preveli is also excellent. The date palm forest and the lake, this is some of the most famous sights in Crete and an area of outstanding natural beauty. The date palms stand along the bank of the river which flows down through the Kourtaliotis gorge (you have to drive up the gorge to get to Plakias), creating an exotic scene. Wander along the paths in the palm forest, relax in the shade of the trees, and swim in the river. Don't miss to visit the nearby Moni Preveli (Preveli Monastery), from this site you have to walk down a lot of steps to reach the beach.
- The beach of Frangokastello is divided into the west part and the east part. The sandy beach in front of the Frangokastello castle. The sea is very shallow and it is ideal for little children. The pebbly beach to the west offers a rocky seabed, excellent for snorkeling. The "Orthi Ammos" sandy beach is 10 min on foot east of the castle. An excellent beach with big sand dunes and crystal-clear water. Since you will have to walk on the sand dunes to get to the beach, it is wise to remember that sand gets burning hot afternoon. Proper shoes are required. The eastern part of this long beach is clothing optional occasionally.
- For those of you, who enjoy scuba diving, there is a diving center at the Hotel Calypso near Plakias.
- Hiking. Preveli Gorge, the lower part of the Kourtaliotis Gorge. Here the river Megapotamos flows between the high banks of the gorge and through the palm forest to the beautiful Limni beach.
- Enjoy the great variety of birds, bird watching.
- Kourtaliotis Gorge, take a stroll down the stairway to the church and cataract springs of St. Nicholas. These springs never fail to provide water all year round to the Megapotamos.
- Kotsifas Gorge, wild and imposing, and also the entrance to the area from ancient times.
- Mesa Gorge, unexplored and mystical it is surrounded by many old churches, monasteries, and ruined villages.
- Patsos Gorge, impressive vegetation, and caves mark out this particular ravine.
- Field of Lous, this plateau is dedicated to the nymph-goddess of the rising sun. Towards its eastern end, near the village of Gerakari, is a forest of cherry trees.
- Nearby Mountain Peaks such as Krioneritis (1312m), Kouroupa (984m), Timios Stavros (433m), and Xiro Oroi (904m), offer the more energetic traveler unrivaled views and a serene, almost sacred atmosphere.
- There are vertical rocks at Plakias which are suitable for both experienced climbers and beginners. There are rock climbing rings to help anchor yourself and climb the rope. The best climbing sites are these form Paligremnos and Agii Saranta.
- More uplifting activities in south Rethimno, Crete!
- Check-in: 12.00 - 22.00 pm
- Check out: 08.00 am - 12.00 pm
- Minimum Stay: 2-3 nights, depending on the season
- Payment Policy:
- Credit card details (Visa or MasterCard) are required to charge the deposit amount in order to confirm reservation.
- No additional charges will be made to the credit card unless cancellation charges have to be applied.
- Balance amount is to be paid directly to Thalassa House at the time of stay.
- Visa and MasterCard are accepted by Thalassa House
- Cancellation Policy:
free of charge 14 days prior to arrival
50% of total reservations between 14-1 day prior arrival
100% of total reservation when canceled on day of arrival or no-show
How To Get There
Thalassa House Apartments is located on the edge of the small village of Plakias in southern Crete.
- By Air
From May through mid-October there are direct charter flights to Chania (75km from the village) and, more frequently, to the capital Heraklion (89km). Tickets can be bought in advance for almost all flights via our partner website.
- By Sea
The journey is the thing". A superb way of enjoying the journey to Crete is to fly to Athens and take the ferry from Piraeus (Pireas) - the port serving Athens. A still-romantic way to travel by the overnight ferry from Piraeus to Chania-Souda port (85km from the Hotel) or Heraklion Port (80km). Tickets can be bought in advance for all ferries via our partner website.
- By Car
If you want to explore the region while you're here, we recommend that you rent a car, other means of transport are limited and/or infrequent. We suggest our sister website Crete-Car-Rental.com, which offers competitive prices and you can collect your car at either airport.
- By Taxi
Book your taxi transfer online easily and safely from the airport or port to any location via our partner website.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through CreteTravel.com
- Dining: Buffet Breakfast ( optional) is served next to your apartment Horizon Hotel. It mostly entails orange juice, various kinds of tea, filter coffee, eggs, hams and cheeses, feta cheese, tomatoes, olives, jams, honey, cake, bread, rusks, butter/margarine, and salami. Everything you need is available in Plakias – shops, supermarkets, plenty of places to eat and drink. There are a great number and variety of Taverns where could enjoy Cretan food or maybe local fish.
- Internet Access: Free WiFi throughout
- Swimming Pool: None
- Disabled Access: None
- Pets: Pets are allowed on request. No extra charges.
- Languages Spoken: Greek, English, German