- The small island of Gavdos, in south Crete, is one of the region’s best-kept gems. With emerald sandy beaches, dense piney and juniper woods and rugged seascapes the southernmost point of Europe is where memories are recorded forever, don't miss visiting it during your stay in lovely Crete. Gavdos is the southernmost part of Europe, located 32 nautical miles away from Paleochora, 22 from Chora Sfakion, and 170 from Tobruk, Libya. It was Homer who described the island of Gavdos as “a world apart” .... and it’s as much a state of mind as it is an island. Famous for its alternative lifestyle visitors, this is a place that harks back to simpler days and ways, a natural paradise! The island is surprisingly green, with almost 65% covered in low-lying pine and cedar trees and vegetation. The seduction of simplicity ...
- Kastri is the island’s capital, where you will take beautiful walks in the picturesque alleys with houses built out of stone and beautiful gardens.
- In Gavdos you will find wonderful beaches in Sarakiniko, in Agios-Yiannis, in Pyrgos, in Potamos, and in the pebbly beach of Lavraka, Korfos Beach, Diana's Beach, Lakoudi Beach, as well as the sandy beach in the cape of Tripiti with the three natural consecutive arches in the rock that is joined with the sea and it is believed that it was in this place that Ulysses was held in captivity by Calypso.
- Tripiti is famous for its bizarre rock formations which sometimes form arcades in the sea. The name Tripiti comes from the Greek tripa (hole), named as such due to the three arches diving into the sea. A chair has been placing on top of a rock formation there, indicating that Tripiti is the southernmost point of Europe.
- Potamos is a stunning beach with reddish sand, located in the northwest part of Gavdos. Visitors can reach Potamos by boat or on foot.
- Agios Ioannis, chosen as the second most beautiful beach in the world by the Travel Channel in 2007, is a solitary spot. There are no places to stay in the area, however, there are impressive caves and it is often a favorite spot for the naturist tourist.
- Snorkeling, the crystal clear waters of the beach of Lakoudi are ideal for snorkeling.
- In the same cape, you will also see an abandoned lighthouse, the second most visible lighthouse in the world after that in the Land of Fire in Argentina.
- The tower’s height was 14 m., while its focal height was 360 meters. It was built from the French Company of Ottoman lighthouses in 1880 and it was incorporated into the Greek lighthouse network after the Balkan Wars of 1912-13, but it was destroyed by a German bombardment in 1942. It was replaced by the lighthouse that is currently operating today just a little bit more to the south in the same cape. The lighthouse tower serves as a cafe during the summer season; the complex also contains a museum on the history of the original lighthouse with several rooms of photos and antique equipment.
- Wherever you prefer to camp, you will find easily a tree – a pine, a cedar, a plane tree - to put up your tent and rest assured that no one will disturb your peacefulness.
- Also, nothing during your sejour in Calypso’s island will remind you of which age you live in.
- Great flora and fauna. Gavdos, together with the neighboring islet Gavdopoula, is a migratory bird station in their long journey from Africa to Europe and vice versa, and a shelter for the endangered species of Mediterranean monk seal and loggerhead sea turtle.
- Gavdos is a unique place, an island of great natural beauty, away from the bustling "civilized" world, with wild beauty, crystal blue waters, dreamy sunrises, breathtaking sunsets, amazing coastline and amazing beaches, where junipers reach the sea. In addition, pines, junipers, and endemic species of flora adorn the island, and heather, anger, and more aromatic herbs leave their fragrances in the air especially during spring, a great time to visit and explore the Gaudos. It is no coincidence that the Gavdos joined the Natura 2000 program.
- Well-designed trails offer wonderful hiking tours on the island: from Korfos to Tripiti, from Kastri to Ambelos, from Chamourio to Kedre and Lavrakas, from Vatsiana to Korfos, from Saint Panteleimon to Kastri and other routes. Tours that require appropriate shoes, hut, sunscreen, and enough water.
- Some great hiking routes. Maybe one of the best ones is the hiking route Lighthouse - Ambelos - Potamos - Pirgos and back. Another great one is from Korfos to Tripiti beach and back to Vatsiana, where you will see some of the most amazing landscapes and views of the island. Last but not least, the easy hiking tour from Sarakiniko to Ai Giannis and Lavrakas, quite appropriate for families too.
- Join us for the most exciting Boat Trip to Gavdos Island, starting from Sfakia Port.
- Or what about the Sailing & Sea Kayak Trip To Gavdos Island & Best Beaches Of South Chania Αbsolutely, one of the best trips someone can take in the Greek seas having a genuine sense of seclusion and discovering one of the most outstanding landscapes of Crete and the southernmost part of Europe, Gavdos Island.
- More uplifting activities in south Chania.
- Check-in: 14.00 -24.00 pm
- Check out: 11.00 am
- Minimum Stay: 2-7 nights, depending on the season.
- Payment Policy:
Credit card details (Visa or MasterCard) are required to charge the deposit amount (50% of total amount) in order to confirm the reservation.
Deposit amount will be charged three weeks before your arrival.
No additional charges will be made to the credit card unless cancellation charges have to be applied.
Balance amount is to be paid in cash directly to Gavdos Panorama Rooms at the time of stay.
- Cancellation Policy:
Cancellations over 21 days before the arrival date are 100% refunded.
Cancellations less than 21 days before the arrival date are charged at one (1) day’s rate (see above).
Cancellations less than 14 days of the arrival date are charged at 50% of the total reservation cost.
If you fail to check-in, 100% of the total cost remains due.
Unfortunately, there are no refunds for early departures.
How To Get There
Gavdos Panorama Rooms is located over Korfos Beach in Gavdos Island.
- Gavdos can be reached either from Paleochora, Plakias, Sougia, and Chora Sfakion. The routes are not standard and depending on weather conditions, therefore please contact the port authorities in Sfakia (+30 28250 91292) or Paleochora (+30 28230 41214). You can find information on ANENDYK website too.
- In addition, a great option to access Gavdos could be our Gavdos Island Boat Round Trip starting from Sfakia Port. A memorable experience not to be missed!
- The Local Bus of Gavdos. You can use the local bus that serves routes between Karave, Sarakiniko, Agios Giannis, and Korfos whilst it has a daily excursion to Ambelos, Vatsiana, and the Lighthouse! You can rent a car or a motorcycle at Sarakiniko!
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through CreteTravel.com
- Dining: Self-catering with basic amenities and a fridge in the room. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are available at the hotel's restaurant.
- Swimming Pool: Not available
- Spa Treatments: Not available
- Disabled Access: Rooms are not suitable. There is a toilet with disabling access at Restaurant.
- Pets: Now allowed (Wellcome just at Restaurant)
- Languages Spoken: Greek, English
- Parking: Private parking
- Cleaning: Change of towels and sheets, and clean bathroom and toilet every 4 days