The Monastery Estate Guesthouse is built in the foothills of Leuka Oroi offering an amazing view of the mountains from inside the houses.
It is also situated just a breath away from the famous beach of Sougia on the South coast of Chania in the Libyan Sea.
The recent renovation combines uniquely the traditional rural architecture of the area and the village, with a contemporary essence of design and amenities offering a beautiful premise for romance, relaxation, and family vacations.
Every two rooms apartment includes a spacious living room, a separate large bedroom, and a fully equipped kitchen, as well as its own private terrace Amenities, include Free wi-fi internet access, IPAD offered in the reception upon request, Fridge and refrigerator, a kitchenette, Toaster, NESPRESSO Coffee Machine, LCD TV, Hairdryer, Fireplace, Parking space
- Deluxe Αpartment With Private Yard & Hot Tub (1-2 people - 50m2): Opening to a private yard of 30 m² with sunbeds overlooking the mountain range of Lefka Ori, this apartment is fitted with stone floors, beamed ceilings, and contemporary design furnishings. It offers: -air conditioning -a seating area -a fully equipped kitchen with a dining area, a fridge, a NESPRESSO coffee maker and a mini oven -a flat-screen TV -free Wi-Fi -a stone-built bathroom, a shower, and a hairdryer.
- Apartment With Private Terrace Mountain View (1-2 people - 65m2): Opening to a patio overlooking the mountain range of Lefka Ori, this split-level apartment is fitted with wooden floors, beamed ceilings, and traditional furnishings. It offers:
-air conditioning -a seating area with a fireplace -a kitchen with a dining area, fridge, and a small electric oven -a flat-screen TV -free Wi-Fi -a stone-built bathroom with shower and a hairdryer.
- Apartment With Balcony and Mountain View (1-2 people - 55m2): Opening to a private balcony overlooking the mountain range of Lefka Ori, this apartment is fitted with stone floors, beamed ceilings, and contemporary design furnishings. It offers:
-air conditioning -a seating area -a fully equipped kitchen with a dining area, fridge, NESPRESSO coffee maker, and a mini oven -a flat-screen TV -free Wi-Fi -a stone-built bathroom, shower, and a hairdryer.
- Deluxe Suite With Private Yard & Hot Tub (1-2 people - 45m2): Opening to a private yard of 30 m² with sunbeds overlooking the mountain range of Lefka Ori, this apartment is fitted with stone floors, beamed ceilings, and contemporary design furnishings. It offers: -air conditioning -a seating area -a fully equipped kitchen with a dining area, a fridge, a NESPRESSO coffee maker, and a mini oven -a flat-screen TV -free Wi-Fi a bathroom with glass walls, a shower, and a hairdryer.
- For more photos and prices of Apartments, please click here!
Cooking here is a pleasure at Monastery Estate Guesthouse. The open-plan kitchen-diner is well-thought-out and properly equipped: kitchenette, fridge, refrigerator, Nespresso coffee machine with free coffee, toaster, and a decent array of utensils, chopping boards, cutlery, and crockery.
Breakfast is available upon request at 6.00 Euros per person per day. Breakfast, served to your apartment each morning, a lot of Cretan delights: dakos rusks drizzled with George’s own olive oil, plump olives, crumbly mithizra goat’s cheese sprinkled with mountain herbs, fresh juices, a profusion of delicious homemade jams (try the quince and pear) and plenty of village-made bread and sweet local pastries.
Although the apartments are self-catering there is also a limited room service menu, which includes reasonably priced drinks and excellent Cretan pizzas.
There’s a table for 4 inside but most of your dining will take place on the outside patio looking down and up the lovely mountains.
Upon your arrival a Welcome Package of 1 bottle of wine and a few other surprises.
If you prefer to dine out, Sougia is a 5 min drive with a string of old-fashioned tavernas serving fresh-grilled fish, home-baked traditional dishes, and the juiciest of Greek salads, all accompanied by retsina, good Cretan wine, and delicious Cretan cheese.
Children are welcome at Monastery Estate Guesthouse.
Although the house is very well suited for several families of friends or couples
- Sougia is one of the most laid-back and refreshingly undeveloped beach places along the unique south coast of Crete, with a lovely wide curve of sand and pebble beach and a few taverns where you can enjoy excellent traditional food as well as fresh fish. As a bonus, there is an excellent pizza restaurant by the beach.
- Visit the most popular Byzantine St Nikolas Chapel, built-in 1315. The chapel is located on the propodes of a steep hill of Moni village just 10 minutes by car or on foot from the premises. The location is stupendous, in fact amongst the best in south Crete and the walk, on a shaded path among ancient olive oil trees is one of the most appealing short walks in the area. In the chapel, you will see toixografies dated in the 13th century crafted with a unique “smoked” method of the famous painter of the area Ioannis Pagomenos.
- Visit the nearby Panagia Kera (Chapel of Holy Mary), built in the early 19th century as a Nun’s Monastery, it is a unique monument of rural architecture. In the Chapel’s surrounding area, the visitor could admire a stone-built 20-meter tall bell house with an amazing view from the top as well as the cells that nuns used as their homes.
- Another Church, this from Prophet Elias Chapel, after a beautiful walk that follows the coast towards the East of Sougia beach to the chapel of the Prophet Elias. As it takes about 4 hours to get there it is a good idea to hire a boat one way and return on foot.
- A walk to nearby Lissos is almost a must. Lissos was a very significant town in ancient times and there are still many ruins left, particularly an Aesculap (Asklepios) sanctuary. The walk to Lissos and back takes about 3 hours at a leisurely pace. The atmosphere in Lissos is so peaceful that it is well worth spending time there, wandering around the ruins, and enjoying the silence.
- Driving up (by bus early morning or by taxi) to the village of Agia Irini and walking down through the gorge of Agia Irini is also a very nice walk. It takes circa four hours.
- Further afield you can drive up to the ancient city of Elyros (situated close to present-day Rodovani). It is located on a hill overlooking the sea and the mountains and there are plenty of ruins to see (although only a few have been excavated).
- Walk from Koustogerako to Omalos, a great little-known walk through an old oak forest to the plateau of Omalos. Though not difficult this walk requires a good sense of orientation.
- Walk to Paleohora, following the coast towards the West.
- Walk to Tripiti, one of the most beautiful coastal walks in Crete.
- Or a hike to Ochros (807 m), the local mountain will reward you with stunning views.
- Maybe you are here just for this experience of the Samaria Gorge. Take a public bus (or a taxi) in the morning to Omalos and walk through the famous Samaria Gorge. An alternative is to take the ferryboat.
- Paleochora is the other well know village on the South Coast of Chania. You can drive there (40 minutes) and enjoy the sandy beach and very good restaurants and taverns.
- Since you are in the area, you cannot miss Elafonisos, the beach is absolutely great with pink sand and landscape. The drive is circa 90 minutes but it does worth the effort.
- Or bird-watching in this rare beauty area.
- More uplifting activities in South Chania - Crete.
Check-in: 14.00 pm
Check out: 12.00 pm
Minimum Stay: 2-3 nights, depending on the season
- Payment Policy: Please check here
- Cancellation Policy: Please check here
How To Get There
The Monastery Estate Guesthouse is built in the foothills of Levka Ori (White Mountains) offering an amazing view of the mountains from inside the houses at Moni Village just 4.5 km from Sougia Village.
- By Air
From May through mid-October there are direct charter flights to Chania (75km) and, more frequently, to the capital Heraklion (194km). Tickets can be bought in advance for almost all flights from our partner website.
- By Sea
"The journey is the thing". A superb way of enjoying the journey to Crete is to fly to Athens and take the ferry from Piraeus (Pireas) - the port serving Athens. A still-romantic way to travel by the overnight ferry from Piraeus to Chania-Souda port (61km). Tickets can be bought in advance for all ferries via our partner website.
- By Car
If you want to explore the region while you're here, we recommend that you rent a car, other means of transport are limited and/or infrequent. We suggest our sister website Crete-Car-Rental.com, which offers competitive prices and you can collect your car at either airport.
- By Taxi
Book your taxi transfer online easily and safely from the airport or port to any location via our partner website.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through CreteTravel.com
- Dining: The open-plan kitchen-diner is well-thought-out and properly equipped: kitchenette, fridge, and refrigerator, Nespresso coffee machine with free coffee, toaster and a decent array of utensils, chopping boards, cutlery, and crockery.
- Reception: 08.30 am - 20.00 pm daily
- Internet Access: Free WiFi
- Swimming Pool: Not available
- Spa Treatments: Not available
- Disabled Access: Not suitable
- Pets: Are allowed, on request
- Languages: Greek, English
- Heating: Fireplaces and air-conditioning
- Parking: Private Parking