- Monastery Estate Venetian Harbor is in the Old Town of Chania, very close to the old harbor, but away from the noise. Ideal base to explore the whole town with the narrow streets and admire the old buildings with different architectural styles.
- Visit the maritime museum on the west side of the port and walk along with the port till Arsenali where is situated the Arsenali Centre of Mediterranean Architecture that organizes exhibitions and has a primary goal to promote the Mediterranean arts.
- In Summer, the municipality hosts cultural events around the town, including these in the public gardens and at the open-air theatre on the outskirts of the town walls, which has various music and theatrical performances.
- Swim. The nearest beach is 500m away, Agii Apostgolli Beach is 4 km, and the famous long beach of Agia Marina is 7km away. Or maybe you prefer the enclosed waters of Marathi bay, on the Akrotiri peninsula.
- Also on Akrotiri peninsula, beyond the airport, there are two very impressive monasteries, inhabited by a few monks, and both are opened to appropriately dressed visitors in the morning and late afternoon, Agia Triada or Jakaoron, renowned for its traditions this unique olive oil is produced, and the historic monastery of Gouvernetou the more remote which resembles a castle, with towers which served to defend it from raiders.
- Beyond Gouvernetou lies a wonderful hiking trail to the cliff chapel of Katholikon and an azure-watered inlet below. The aquamarine water would be very inviting for a swim before the climb back up to Gouverneto Monastery if this were not strictly prohibited by the monks.
- If you are looking for more quiet beaches, Falasarna is a very long beach that is located on the west part of the island, 44km from your hotel, What makes this beach so unique, is the length, you can walk along the sandy beach for a lot of time. Or drive 2 hours southwest to Elafonisi (try and get there before the afternoon crowds), or 1 hour west the well-known Balos Beach (the latter requires a short hike or a boat from Kastelli).
- For a trip by car I would suggest: To "Therissos" - you drive through a beautiful gorge. The village itself is historic and has some good tavernas like "Andartis". But if you have time, you can continue further to Zourva and come down to Chania again via Meskla. This is a spectacular drive (if the atmosphere is clear and not too hazy), marked on some maps as unpaved - but it is now paved. Just after Zourva there is a taverna on its own with glass windows with 360 views and good local food.
- Join us for the fascinating cooking workshops at Miia Traditional Village, a great introduction to Cretan to seasonal cooking and the culture of Cretan gastronomy - cuisine.
- Or maybe you would like to visit one of the best wineries in Crete, Manousakis Winery.
- Samaria Gorge is the longest gorge in Europe, if you like gorges, walk through this gorge and the experience will be unique. It is a long gorge, 16km, and you need about 6 hours to pass it, which means that it is not allowed to walk the long way if you have any health problem. If you think that 16km is too many, you can see the last part of the gorge. You have to drive to Chora Sfakion and then you take the boat to Agia Roumeli, where is the exit of the gorge, you just have to walk a few kilometers in the gorge, at least till the most narrow point "portes".
- Next to Samaria gorge, there is another gorge, shorter but very beautiful because it is very narrow in some points. This is Imbros gorge and you need just 2 hours to pass it. You can combine this walk, with swimming in Fragokastelo beach, as it is very close to the exit of the gorge.
- For those who love horse riding, there is a horse riding center in Akrotiri, that organizes daily excursions in that area. You just need to make a reservation.
- Explore Rethymno's old town and especially the waterfront and streets just behind. Walk along the harbor wall to the Venetian lighthouse. The Fortezza (fortress) was built by the Venetians (1573) to protect the city. Not only are walls, but church and the remains of its buildings of interest, the views from it to the town are also a great way to start planning your tour of the town. There are also sweeping sea views. Open daily.
- Don't miss visiting Rethimnon's Archaeological Museum which occupies a building almost directly opposite the entrance to the fortress. It's worth a look especially if you are going to the bigger museums in other towns. Here you could enjoy Minoan pottery and sarcophagi and lots of Roman coins, jewelry, pots, and statues, all from Rethimno province. Take a look at an unusual unfinished Roman statue of Aphrodite.
- Head South from Rethymno to the sandy Palm Beach of Preveli, a sand-filled cove right at the end of the Kourtaliotiko gorge, where a freshwater estuary feeds a little oasis complete with palm grove and a cluster of oleanders ( at the beginning and the end of the season it is lovely).
More uplifting activities in Chania region.
Check-in: 14.00 pm
Check out: 12.00 pm
Minimum Stay: 2-3 nights, depending on the season.
Payment Policy: Please check here!
Cancellation Policy: Please check here!
How To Get There
Monastery Estate Venetian Harbor is located in the old city of Chania, very close to the old Harbour.
- By Air
From April through October there are direct charter flights to Chania (15km) and more frequently, to the capital Heraklion (144km). Tickets can be bought in advance for almost all flights via our partner website.
- By Sea
"The journey is the thing". A superb way of enjoying the journey to Crete is to fly to Athens and take the ferry from Piraeus (Pireas) - the port serving Athens. A still-romantic way to travel by the overnight ferry from Piraeus to Chania-Souda port (7km). Tickets can be bought in advance for all ferries via our partner website.
- By Car
If you want to explore the region while you're here, we recommend that you rent a car, other means of transport are limited and/or infrequent. We suggest our sister website Crete-Car-Rental.com, which offers competitive prices and you can collect your car at either airport. There is a 30m distance from the closest car street access!
- By Taxi
Book your taxi transfer online easily and safely from the airport or port to any location via our partner website. There is a 30m distance from the closest car street access!
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through CreteTravel.com
- Dining: Delicious with local products Breakfast and small delicious restaurant with unique authentic flavors
- Internet Access: Free WiFi in all areas
- Swimming Pool: Heated indoors small swimming pool
- Spa Facilities: Free for hotel guests
- Disabled Access: NO
- Pets: Pets are not allowed
- Non-Smoking Rooms: Yes
- Languages Spoken: Greek, English, German
- Parking: The parking is a problem as there is no private parking. There is a 30m distance from the closest car street access! We suggest the Sifaka, Kanevaro, and Daskalogianni street, as well as the municipality parking next to the old market or the one next to the Tafros theatre