There is something special about waking up in a small stone house of Kalimera Arhanes in the centre of everything a village has to offer.
Arhanes is one of the best kept villages in Crete in an area rich in history and well-stocked with archeological interest and fine views.
These three houses form a walled garden in the village, tucked in the middle of other old village houses, they have been recreated to provide all the comfort and facilities that make a simple village house bring a smile to those who dwell within.
Each of them dates back to the early 19th century and has been restored in 2004 with great respect to the historical characteristics of the village. Furnished with simple antique-style furniture. Two storey maisonette-style, with one or 3 bedrooms, living room with fireplace and well equipped kitchens.
Walk up the narrow donkey-width street that leads away from the houses and a few steps more to the small Arhanes archeological museum.
A few paces down the street passing a mix of local and unexpected shops you are in the square where on a Sunday, the aroma of freshly grilling lamb and the sparkle of conversation waft in competition with each other as you choose which restaurant to settle down at and order a feast or a snack or a glass of wine.
Leave your cosy house of Kalimera Archanes and walk the steep paved streets, the houses competing with flowers and plants spilling over and providing colour and cheer.
You are in the most convenient village to stay in if you would like to be near Knossos which is but 10 minutes away by car. Vathypetro in the countryside to the south of Arhanes is another find and the site bears witness to the large amount of ancient remains around.
Do you feel a thirst for wine? This is one of the increasingly successful wine-growing regions of Crete with many local wines showing up with courage and growing pedigree on the world stage.
Archanes is the best kept and one of the most attractive villages in Crete. An area of Archeology, history and wine.
- Hotel Name: Kalimera Archanes
- Area: Heraklion, Archanes
- Why Go: Food & Wine,Friendly Environment,Mountains,Peaceful Rural Setting in Village,Village Atmosphere,Art & Culture
Why we like it
- Arhanes is one of the best kept villages in Crete in an area rich in history and well-stocked with archaeological interest and fine views.
- What better of a warm service and the feeling of being a distinguished guest at a friend's home.
- The proximity to the most important archaeological sites of Crete as Vathipetro, Fourni, Tourkogeitonia, Knossos, Festos and Gortis.
- Do you like food and wine?
- Do you love the experience of living in the village like a local and making good friends during your stay?
What to know
- You'll have to park a short distance from the houses.
- The houses don't have any views as it is in the centre of the village. Few terraces have mountain views.
|Hotel Information||Recommended For|
|Type:||Houses||Architecture & style :|
|Rooms:||3||Village Atmosphere :|
|Pool:||NO||Nice atmosphere :|
|Dining:||Breakfast & Dinner (on request)||Cheap & Chic :|
|Children:||YES||Family hospitality :|