Kapsaliana Village Hotel, a unique holiday experience in a village which has been fully restored in full harmony with nature and with high respect to the history and architecture of Crete.
Nestled in peaceful surroundings of the historical area of the famous Arkadiou Monastery in Rethimno region with wonderful views of Cretan countryside and Cretan sea, Kapsaliana Village is a beautifully restored historical hamlet with an old olive press, transformed into a luxurious, stylish and peaceful country retreat hotel and museum.
A unique place of natural beauty, which is surrounded by one of the largest olive groves on the island, peace and tranquility, where accommodation facilities are fully harmonized with the enchanting landscape.
Twelve original houses, clustered around the old Olive Press, have been restored and converted into lavish, elegant guest houses. Six new houses have been added in the same architectural form. Spread over various old stone houses, separated by flag-stoned terraces and flights of steps, rooms and suites are beautiful, large and pleasantly uncluttered designed with bold wooden beams, mighty stone walls, and the occasional farm utensil/modern art sculpture and they offer plenty of comfort and discreet luxury – superb beds, comfy sofas, large showers, delicately embroidered robes, natural beauty products – but nothing is over the top.
Fantastic meals, combined with a friendly and hospitable service, prepared by a top chef are served in the charming restaurant of Kapsaliana Village Hotel and there are two sitting rooms where you can cuddle up by the open fire on chilly days; one is in the old olive press which doubles as a small museum. Outside, you’ll find large terraces, an inviting swimming pool and views stretching all the way to the sea.
Kapsaliana was part of the Arkadi Monastery, a national sanctuary with a colourful history of courage and sacrifice. The story of the settlement starts in 1600 with the construction of the church, and continues with the creation of the olive oil mill in 1763. More people then came to this beautiful area to work on the olive trees and land, and built their own stone houses around the olive oil mill which, during the peak era, accommodated 13 families and 50 people.
Nowadays, the settlement of Kapsaliana has been converted with love and artistry into a unique hotel by the new owner, architect Myron Toupogianis. With particular care and diligent work the olive oil mill, the church and the utility rooms were gradually transformed into rooms and suites, restaurant, swimming pool and lounge.
- Hotel Name: Kapsaliana Village Hotel
- Area: Rethimno, Kapsaliana
- Why Go: Countryside,Elegant,Food & Wine,Friendly Environment,Honeymoon,Quality of Service,Quiet Location,Relaxed,Romantic,Restaurant
Why we like it
- It's the best of two worlds: an ideal place to disconnect and travel back in time, but with plenty of modern comforts.
- Far from the city bustle, the hotel is full of interesting objects with cool stone and pale colours giving a feeling of relaxation.
- What better of a warm service and the feeling of being a distinguished guest at a unique place.
- Do you like delicious food and fine wine?
What to know
- Please not that not every room has a view due to the architecture of village. In addition due to the stone walls and relatively small windows, some rooms are less brighty.
- We recommend that you rent a car as other means of transport are limited and/or infrequent. (You cannot reach Kapsaliana Village Hotel by public transport).
|Hotel Information||Recommended For|
|Type:||Small Hotels & Inns||Architecture & style :|
|Dining:||Yes||Nice atmosphere :|
|Children:||Welcome||Quality of Service :|