We're constantly scouring lovely Crete for exciting new places, small hotels… Crete still has so much to reveal.
Monastery Estate is one of those places. Small, hospitable, and with great respect for humanity and its needs: simplicity, harmony, warm hospitality, clean air, a relaxed atmosphere. Surrounded by immense natural beauty, the Estate is also nearby the lovely, isolated beach of Sougia.
Owner George and his team are available from early morning to late evening to advise you on local activities or to book travel and tours, if required.
The service is attentive and the personal touch is evident in thoughtful gestures like a welcoming drink under the vines on arrival and the bottles of water cooling in the fridge. There is an ipad available on request in reception.
Monastery Estate is a recently renovated complex of houses, originally built in the early 19th century, when it served as accommodation for the Vourakis family. The recent renovation combines the unique, traditional rural architecture of the area and the village with an infusion of contemporary design and amenities, offering a beautiful setting for romance, relaxation and family vacations. Rustic luxury is the hallmark of this rural haven.
Each two-room apartment includes a spacious living room, a separate large bedroom, and a fully equipped kitchen, as well as its own private terrace.
It is located in Moni Village, named after the ancient Greek word «Μονή», i.e. "Monastery", due to the Byzantine Chapel of Saint Nicolas and "Panagia Kera", the Chapel of Holy Mary. The village is located in the south of Chania, just 5 km away from the famous beach of Sougia on the Libyan Sea.
Established in the late 15th century as a village of farmers and olive oil producers, it was built on the shore of the famous Santa Irene river, which flows through the second most famous gorge of Chania, Agia Eirini.
The village is now a unique, relaxing destination with the ideal combination of a peaceful, traditional, rural paradise within the mountains, while also providing close proximity to the sea.
- Hotel Name: Monastery Estate
- Area: Chania, Sougia , Moni Village
- Why Go: Adventure,Beautiful Terraces and Gardens,Friendly Environment,Mountains,Peaceful Rural Setting in Village,Quiet Location,Relaxed,Romantic,Rural,Village Atmosphere
Why we like it
- Moni Village is the perfect place for visitors looking for a relaxing holiday away from mass-tourism.
- The place is about a 5min drive to Sougia and you’ll hear almost nothing aside from some goat bells in the night and the roosters in the morning.
- George the owner is on-call for you whenever you needed anything
What to know
- Not suitable for families with more than two children.
- We recommend that you rent a car as other means of transport are limited and/or infrequent. You cannot reach Monastery Estate by public transport.
|Hotel Information||Recommended For|
|Type:||Apartments - Studios||Architecture & style :|
|Dining:||No||Nice atmosphere :|
|Children:||Welcome||Village Atmosphere :|