Maybe you just want the beach at your feet?
To wake up with the sea as your close friend, make breakfast and sip a mug of coffee as you explore the condition of the sea, testing the temperature as you walk barefoot along the sand.
This is one of those lucky bays that rarely experience much more than a ripple, even when the sailors are choosing to avoid a rougher sea further out in the blue yonder! The beach is a sand, pebble and shingle frontage, the water clear - just a few steps away across the beachfront gravel road.
Olga Beach's very acceptable bungalow apartments on the quiet eastern coast of Crete, allow you to be at one with the sea for days on end. When swimming and lazing, you might wish for a change, perhaps a walk inland or uphill for a different view, or along the water's edge to the simple harbour (400 metres) to watch a fisherman return with the morning's catch.
You can choose from three nearby beachside tavernas for a salad, a grilled platter of lamb or some of that freshly caught fish.
Your bungalow apartment is one of only six to have this ringside position. Ample cooking facilities include: Oven with four hotplates, fridge freezer, coffee maker and kettle. A spacious area to lounge and sit, if going outside needs to wait for a few minutes, with a sofa, coffee table piled high with those books you brought with you to read. A TV awaits, just in case you run out of ideas and music to play on the stereo, upon which a tune brings the pleasing reality of where you are to life. On the terrace there is a coffee table and four chairs with the sea in view.
For an active day, there is windsurfing at the surf club on the south side of the bay, just a 15 minute walk from your bungalow apartment - continue your enjoyment of this sport or try it for the first time, experience that elemental feeling of wind in your hair, sun on your skin and while enjoying whisking along on your small craft, which is more like a shoe for water than anything else, carried along by the fair wind.
On another day perhaps you may cover a bit more of Crete's land and villages - on the drive to Kato Zakros which will take about forty minutes, perhaps allow more for stops on your scenic route to enjoy the views and things of interest. Go to Kato Zakros which apart from having one of the largest archaeological sites just by the beach, has a far-away peaceful, end-of-the-road beach and small seafront, with a handful of tavernas serving all the food that you could wish to enjoy by the sea.
Closer, it may be time to motor down to Vai beach and enjoy the pine forest...arrive early before the sightseers and then move on to Itanos, Roussou or Petanou archaelogical sites to get a sense of the age - a different age - of this area you are relaxing in, breathing in the pure sea air and enjoying perhaps, sunshine!
- Hotel Name: Olga Beach Apartments
- Area: Lasithi, Kouremenos
- Why Go: Relaxed,Quiet Location,Beach-front Setting,Adventure
Why we like it
- Kouremenos beach has a fine brown sand, shallow turquoise waters (i.e. relatively warm in the early season) and several tamarisk trees around.
- A great option for windsurfers, as the main feature of Kouremenos is the wind. Indeed, the wind here is so strong that the area is popular to windsurfers and kite surfers across Europe,
- Just a perfect base to discover the quieter, lovely eastern Crete ... for outdoor action and spectacular landscapes and such unique attractions as the historic monastery of Toplou and Vai's famous palm-lined beach and picturesque villages.
What to know
- Bathrooms are fairly basic.
- Hiring a car is a must and will allow you to explore the area better.
- There are not any chairs and umbrellas at Kouremenos beach.
|Hotel Information||Recommended For|
|Type:||Apartments - Studios||Beach/Seaside :|
|Rooms:||5||Young Couples :|
|Pool:||NO||Family hospitality :|
|Dining:||NO||Cheap & Chic :|
|Children:||Welcome||Marvelous view :|
|Closed:||November to March||Family :|