The philosophy of back to basics has found true meaning at Sitanos Authentic Cretan Stone Houses ... time flows slowly here.
At the time of speed and oblivion, owners tried to restore scenes from the life of Cretan countryside in earlier times,as it was described by their grandmothers and grandparents, a life based on human relationships, respect and love.
Above all, visiting Sitanos Houses is an experience worth having ideal for all people who love nature, authentic rural life, culture and contact with local people.
“Sitanos forgotten neighborhood” is a single complex of restored authentic traditional houses located in the oldest neighbourhood of the village Sitanos in eastern Crete (distance from Sitia 19 Km – 620 m altitude), right in the heart of the Natural Park of Sitia which belongs to the UNESCO Geopark net.
It consists of three neighbouring independent stone residences (Anna, Athena & and Maria), which are representative examples of Cretan rural folk houses of the 18th century type "kamarospito" and constitute important monuments of architectural heritage, history and culture of Eastern Crete.
All together with their landscaped surroundings, their cobbled streets and gardens form a single aesthetic whole.
Moments of relaxation and absolute serenity in an authentic old Cretan neighborhood, without depriving the comforts of the modern lifestyle that we have discreetly incorporated into our homes.
The residences are typical samples of 18th century rural folklore Cretan “kamarospito” (“arch house”) and they are important monuments of the architectural inheritance, history and civilisation of Eastern Crete. They follow the traditional Cretan architecture with Venetian details and they are completely adjusted to their surroundings, built exclusively with local stone, which the original owners used centuries ago. Each is built on a different level due to the ground slope.
Staying in these traditional houses, you will find the tranquility of the semi-mountainous inland countryside with many marked hiking trails and simultaneously with just 25 to 30 minutes drive to some of the best beaches in Crete (Kato Zakros, Xerokambos, Kouremenos,Xiona, Vai).
- Hotel Name: Sitanos Authentic Cretan Stone Farmhouses
- Area: Lasithi, Sitanos Village
- Why Go: Peaceful Rural Setting in Village,Countryside,Mountains,Quiet Location,Rural,Village Atmosphere
Why we like it
- Outstanding! The owners have put their whole heart in creating these beautiful Sitanos Houses.
- Maria and Kostas are absolutely wonderful, helpful and available hosts. They provide you with little welcoming extras like a carafe of local wine, a bottle of raki, some fruits, coffee, tea, cookies, and other products for a breakfast at no extra cost.
- Sitanos Houses is an experience worth having… ideal for all people who love nature, authentic rural life, culture and contact with local people.
- Sitanos is situated in the mountains, but it only takes a small drive to visit beaches, settlements or monasteries in the area.
What to know
- Private parking is provided 70m away from the houses.
- No breakfast and meals are provided, but upon agreement, owners can supply the required materials and local products to prepare your own breakfast at house.
|Hotel Information||Recommended For|
|Type:||Houses||Architecture & style :|
|Rooms:||3||Village Atmosphere :|
|Pool:||No||Young Couples :|
|Dining:||Self Catering||Mountain :|
|Children:||Welcome||Quality of Service :|
|Closed:||November to March||Rural :|