Trekking, mystery and suspense in Cretan Mountains.
We walk through the biggest forest on Crete and then we go underground to explore the secrets at the heart of the mountain in Lasithi.
We will "plunge" into the mysterious physical phenomenon of the cave Neraidogoula, which is a vivid legend for the inhabitants of the surrounding area.
The trip includes walking in a track of the most extended forest of the Cretan mountains, and sub terrain exploration in the legendary cave.
With the support of our qualified speleologist, will participate in a simulation of a caving expedition, trying to resolve the mystery of the cave's peculiar function that causes the awe of the locals even nowadays!
With a picnic in nature and a early dinner in a small kafenio.
“In the streams and in the caves, there live the fairies… and when they get angry, they come out and strangle whoever comes across their way!
That is why one should never tread the area round the cave of Neraidogoula - for it may open up and you might be washed away by the gushing water…”
This was what the elders told the young ones to teach them how to respect the mountain and its elements. Indeed, this strange cave would start gushing water at its opening, with no apparent reason, at most unconventional times, even in the summer, during heat-waves…. It was an inexplicable phenomenon.
How can one not believe in fairies or in their wrath?
We will have the chance to explore this mysterious physical phenomenon at the cave of Neraidogoula, which still occurs today. We walk through the biggest forest on Crete and then we go underground to explore the secrets at the heart of the mountain in Lasithi.
- Starting location: Village Selakano
- Stop at the village “Christos” in Lassithi Prefecture. Short guidance
- Arrival at Selakano, trekking in the forest and arrival to the entrance of the cave. Rest and branch
- Exploring the cave. Discussion upon geological and speleological issues
- Return to the village Selakano and dining in the local kafenio of Mrs Stella
- Starting from 75 Euros per person (in a group of 12 people)
- Note: THIS TRIP IS A PRIVATE EXCURSION
- Children are allowed to participate over the age of 10, given that they have experience in trekking.
- Child 10 - 12 years old 15 % discount
- Discount is not valid if the participants are only 2.
- Escort by a speleologist (English and French speaking).
- Program manual for each traveler, including bibliographic references, maps, photos, etc.
- Helmets, head lights, batteries.
- Picnic into the wild.
- A dinner at a local tavern.
- Personal accident insurance, powered by LLoyd's Insurance company.
- Anything mentioned above.
- Transport from your accommodation to the sites proposed and back to the hotel (upon request with extra cost).
- Guided tours in organized archeological sites.
- Drinks, personal expenses and gratuities.
- Anything not mentioned above.
Selakano forest in the mountain of Lassithi, Crete
Easy-moderate. An easy trek of 4-5 hours return is included. The treks takes place in a well organized rocky and soil path in the forest of Selakano.
Greek, English, French
Note: For other languages, possibility to have a translator, with a supplement.
- Necessary personal equipment: Sunscreen oil, hat, sunglasses, trekking poles, windproof, shoes for trekking, small rucksack with your personal items, if possible, rough clothes that you will not be bothered if they get dirty or damaged
- PLEASE INFORM US of any dietary needs/particularities you might have (allergies, intolerances) or other health issues we have to take into consideration. Many thanks.
For more info and reservations please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org