- Ferma Hill Apartments is an ideal base for a relaxing vacation by the sea in a pleasantly private beach. Giorgakis is one of the most beautiful beaches of East Crete, with fine pebbles and rocks that form caves. In the middle of the beach, there is a low rock that separates the main beach from a second tiny beach to the west. The tiny beach is the exit of a small stream of the area that drains the area of the Stroggyli peak. Just before finishing on the beach, the stream forms a very impressive waterfall through the colorful rocks, 10 meters high, and dries up in summer.
- Good swimming, relax, reading books, enjoy your family and boat trips to Koufonisi. Explore other fairly quiet beaches nearby like Koutsounari, Achlia, Galini, Mavros Kolimbos, and Koutsouras or the interesting villages of Pefki and Agios Stefanos in the mountains above. Visit Ierapetra and take a boat trip to Chrissi island (Gaidouronisi), with the white sands and cedar trees.
- Hikers can explore marked, pine-shaded tracks through the Pefki valley, a few miles east of Makriyialos; climb the rocky 1500-meter summit of Afendis Estravromenos; or trek through the breathtaking Thripti gorge that gashes through its flanks (start from Orino, 30 mins drive away).
- Small excursions should include the Kapsa Monastery above the gorge of Perivolakia (about 10 km east of Makrygialos) and the remains of the medieval village of Vóila. You can also make longer trips to the famous palm beach of Vaï (but don’t go in July or August when it gets sadly crowded), the excavations of the Minoan palace at Kato Zakros and the so-called Gorge of the Death, the lively seaside town of Agios Nicolaos on the northern coast, the Lasithi plateau famous for its 7,000 (or so) windmills, or, closer to ‘home’, the island of Koufonisi, to see the remains of the ancient Roman theatre and to go for a swim from the wonderful sandy beaches.
- There are numerous fine beaches in the nearby Makri Gialos region. Whilst the most popular during the summer is the Makri Gialos main beach, which offers all facilities including water sports. You can also reach several other beaches within a short walking distance.
- To the east of Makri Gialos, there are two beaches below the Sunwing Hotel, reached by walking down the right-hand side of the hotel past the bungalows belonging to Sunwing. Further east takes you to Diaskari beach, which has wooden pergolas shading sunbeds and hammock sand is home to a small traditional taverna.
- Further still, by taking the road to Kalo Nero, you will reach Amathi beach and several other small coves and beaches which are often deserted although there are no facilities on the beaches.
- To the west of Makri Gialos, the first beach is Kalamokania, further on there are beaches along the coast Koutsouras and Mavros Kolimbos and very attractive horseshoe-shaped bays at Agia Galini and Agia Fotia.
- There are many fine villages in the Region of Makri Gialos, all with their own particular merits. It is well worth hiring a car to visit these villages, sample some of the local atmosphere, hospitality and culture, visit their splendid and historic churches, and enjoy spectacular views as most are mountain villages. Aori, Agios Stephanos, Azali, Bembonas, Chrysopigi, Lapithos, Lithines, Orino, Pefki, Pervolakia, Schinokapsala, Stavrohori.
- More uplifting activities in east Crete.
- Check-in: 14.00 - 21.00 pm
- Check out: 09.00 - 12.00 pm
- Minimum Stay: 2-3 nights, depending on the season
- Payment Policy: Credit card details (Visa or Mastercard) are required to charge the deposit amount (10%) in order to confirm the reservation. No additional charges will be made to the credit card unless cancellation charges have to be applied. The Balance amount is to be paid in CASH directly to Ferma Hill Apartments at the time of stay.
- Cancellation Policy: Up to 10 days before arrival - full refund.
Less than 10 days 30% of the total amount will be charged.
Not arriving at the hotel for your booking 100% of the total amount will be charged (at the hotel's discretion).
Departure before booked departure date: at the hotel's discretion, the full balance may be charged by the hotel.
How To Get There
The small and hospitable Ferma Hill Apartments Hotel is located at Ferma Village, nearby Koutsounari and Ierapetra.
- By Air
From May through mid-October there are direct charter flights to Sitia (53.5 km from the village) and, more frequently, to the capital Heraklion (102 km). Tickets can be bought in advance for almost all flights via our partner website.
- By Sea
"The journey is the thing". A superb way of enjoying the journey to Crete is to fly to Athens and take the ferry from Piraeus (Pireas) - the port serving Athens. A still-romantic way to travel by the overnight ferry from Piraeus to Heraklion Port (105km). Tickets can be bought in advance for all ferries via our partner website.
- By Car
If you want to explore the region while you're here, we recommend that you rent a car, other means of transport are limited and/or infrequent. We suggest our sister website Crete-Car-Rental.com, which offers competitive prices and you can collect your car at either airport. We recommend that you rent a car, other means of transport are limited and/or infrequent.
- By Taxi
Book your transfer online easily and safely from the airport or port to any location via our partner website.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through CreteTravel.com
- Dining: No breakfast is available at Ferma Hill Apartments. All properties have a well-equipped kitchen (fridge-freezer, kettle, coffee machine, toaster), with a dining area for the appropriate number of guests.
- Internet Access: WiFi Free of charge
- Swimming Pool: No
- Communal areas: No
- Meetings/Functions: Not suitable
- Disabled Access: Not suitable
- Pets: Small pets are allowed upon request
- Languages Spoken: Greek, English
- Parking: Free private parking is possible on site