Aspros Potamos is in a beautiful valley just in from Makrigialos and the sea, hidden in a fold of the south coast. This valley is lovingly protected by the owner of the original Aspros Potamos houses - you can stay in one and experience Crete in an almost primitive way long forgotten in most areas of the island.
Ultimate simplicity in facilities preserves the calm, spiritual, spirited feel of the place. If having time to your "true self" is what you seek, and throwing off the chains of an ever-modernized world boasting of more and more "facilities", seems pleasing, and inspiring - this is truly one of a kind.
Valley views (no sea views!) embrace not only nature, but also any other buildings that may come into view which are completely in keeping - in sympathy - with the area; all stone-built and clad in atmosphere.
Lighting is principally by oil lamp. The tiny houses are furnished with wooden chairs and tables, linen and lace hangs cover the windows, a fireplace with round ceramic chimney (for November to March use). Some rooms are built into the rocks!
An award-winning solar electricity installation provides the electricity that is used sparingly for "essentials" at Aspros Potamos Traditonal Houses. Hot water in the shower is gas-heated. Low voltage refrigerators and lamps for the bathrooms, continue this ecologically friendly nest. Each small house has a rudimentary kitchenette - with basic cooking facilities and gas rings. No hairdryers or shavers can be plugged in, or any other electrical devices (220 Volt not available).
Clustered on the side of this gentle gorge - ladies of the canyon and gentlemen of the ravine, stop your engines and start listening to the breeze, your heart and the ages of time - these unique houses are a superb place to stay and replenish your spirit, write and read, gaze, dream, converse and just breath. Perfect simplicity. Perfect night skies. Sighs!
OK - so you are away, steeped in nature and historic dwellings, but the modern pace, the spoils of our age are just a ten minute walk away. Head along the path beside the river (1 km, also driveable) and suddenly at the end, you are in Makrigialos with tavernas, cafes, bars and its most satisfying beach. The harbour awaits when a cafe where you can watch a fishing boat come and go is the best reward - or - eating fresh fish at at taverna seems most acceptable.
Note: to avoid any confusion, this is the original Aspros Potamos - it is not "White River cottages", which is a totally different establishment.
- Hotel Name: Aspros Potamos
- Area: Lasithi, Makrigialos
- Why Go: Countryside, Peaceful Rural Setting in Village, Quiet Location, Relaxed, Rural, Romantic
Why we like it
- A relaxed atmosphere and splendid feel, back to nature - back to beauty. "Traditional" - Really!
- Ultimate simplicity in facilities preserves the calm, spiritual, spirited feel of the place.
- Ideal for lovers of nature, traditions and alternative holidays. A beautiful place to discover with your family, friends or loved ones. Here eco-tourism is not just an ideology but a reality.
- The romantic nights by candlelight.
- The area is paradise for walkers and nature lovers: as soon as you move away from the coast you’re surrounded by beautiful nature with verdant valleys, beautiful mountains, gorges and caves.
What to know
- It's really basic and bare comfort. You'll have a bed to sleep in; you can take a hot shower, and you have a fridge to keep your food and drinks cool, but that's it as far as the 'luxuries' go.
- There is not a frequent bus connection down to the Makrigialos Village.
|Hotel Information||Recommended For|
|Rooms:||10||Architecture & style :|
|Dining:||Breakfast (extra)||Family hospitality :|
|Children:||Yes, Welcome||Mountain :|