- The exterior and the interior decor of the three apartments ( Zakros-2 people, Minos-4 people, Kriti-3 people) strictly follow the guidelines of Greek tradition, a rustic atmosphere.
Stone-built walls, wooden ceilings, hand-made furniture, and numerous antiques from another era.
The interior, as well as the exterior of the apartments, are covered with sedimentary rock, extracted from the Sitia region. The area where the quarry is, was once the bottom of the sea but after some geological rearrangements, lasting millions of years, it came up to the surface.
So, on the stone tiles appear interesting fossils of sea shells, limpets, and various shellfish which tell the long and adventurous geological history of the region.
The ceilings, as well as the furniture, are wooden, while the beds are either made of stone or a combination of wood and stone. The interior decoration is full of elements from the Cretan culture and follows the austere tradition of the region.
In the kitchen, one can find all the comforts required for the preparation of one’s meals e.g. pans, cutlery, a small cooker, a coffee machine as well as a fridge, plates, and glasses for various uses.
There is also air-conditioning, a communal washing machine and iron, necessary things when one’s vacations last long.
Although the rooms are protected by nets that do not allow the insects to disturb your sleep, insect-repellent appliances are relieving one from possible annoyances.
There is a shower or a bath in every apartment and hot water is provided round the clock. As for the water, there will be no need to buy any bottled one, as one of the best (perhaps the best) water of Crete, coming straight from the Zakros source, is running through the tap.
There are wooden pergolas outside every apartment as well as sunbeds, hammocks, and isolated corners ideal for reading or daydreaming. There is also a barbeque and an outdoor kitchen for every apartment.
- Thirty meters away from apartments, having in mind nothing but your total comfort, are located the five new studios. The traditional aesthetics will astonish even the most demanding visitors.
Studios are decorated in two different styles. Some of them are based on the Cretan tradition and the other in retro style on which the prevailing material is hammered iron, with curtains hanging from the ceiling creating a romantic atmosphere. All studios are equipped with a double bed and a kitchenette with all the necessary items to prepare you breakfast or meal (coffee machine toaster, boiler, little gas stove, electric hot ring, pots, pans, plates, as well as sugar, Greek coffee, Nescafe, filter coffee, tee, salt, pepper, herbs, etc). The water from the tap comes straight from the natural source of Zakros and it is of excellent quality. All studios are also equipped with mosquito nets, air-condition, refrigerators, and showers.
In the garden of Studios, you will find hammocks, swings, barbeques, and pleasant coolness for the hot summer days and the romantic summer nights to enjoy tranquility and peace. All studios benefit from their own veranda, “crammed” with jasmine and boukamvilies, pergola, and swinging chair, with views into the evergreen, multicolored garden. For a great view of the sea and more isolation, the roof garden is a great choice. In the back yard, according to the season, you can collect your organic fruits (oranges, loquats, grapes, figs, etc. If you do not want to walk to the tavern or if you want to prepare something special for your companion you can use the fully equipped outdoor kitchen. In the refrigerators you will find the basics ingredients for your breakfast: toast bread, butter, marmalade, thymus honey, pieces of milk, juices, Stella's olives, etc and in the cupboards homegrown onions, potatoes, garlic, rice, pasta, sauces and of course local olive oil and all the essential elements for cooking, salt, pepper, herbs, sugar and much more.
But above all, you will find the warm hospitality, friendly atmosphere, and the smile of Stella and Elias, owners of Stella's Traditional Apartments.
Rates are without breakfast but at your Apartments, you will find three different kinds of coffee, local Herbst for your afternoon tea, some spices and the precious extra virgin olive oil from the olive garden of Stella's.
Most of them are growing up in Natura 2000 areas and the Geopark of Sitia under Unesco.
You will enjoy your own made breakfasts and meals under the wooden pergola of your apartment. There is also a barbecue and an outdoor kitchen for every apartment.
So please don't forget to buy your own products for your breakfast and not only, on your way to Kato Zakros, at Zakros Village
Besides, three taverns, fast food with Greek delicacies (e.g. gyros, souvlaki, e.t.c.) and a cafe-bar are the beach's popular and only options. At the local taverns, one can taste the wide range of the traditional Cretan cuisine, dishes which are cooked by natives only with locally-produced ingredients (oil, vegetables, fish).
Please note here that the tavern-owners have their gardens and grow with great respect for the products they serve, themselves.
What about a delicious dinner at the beach, accompanied by a nice bottle of local wine, combined with the scent of the sea?
Children are welcome but Stella's Apartments is without a doubt ideal for couples.
Children (0-2 years) are free of charge (baby-cot provided).
Apartment Kriti is ideal for a couple with a child and Apartment Minos for a bigger family with 2 children.
- Enjoy the area's peace and serenity, listen to the melodic sounds of the birds, cicadas, the wind, or the rustling of leaves.
- Swim, stroll down to the beaches of Kato Zakros, famous for the clarity of the water- are covered either by pebbles or by fine sand. They are rich in fish and are suitable for either an amateur fisherman or a spear fisherman and a professional fisherman as well. The path to the beach goes past small gardens, which the Zacrites (the inhabitants of Zakros) have to produce their vegetables, potatoes, fruit, and citrus fruits. The beach is about a 7 or 8 minutes walk ( of course it is less by car) and it is a very pleasant route.
- But if lying lazily on the hammocks or the armchairs reading, makes you bored, if swimming and enjoying the sun on the beach sounds dull, if exploring the sea-bed or fishing is not your style if you are not interested in using the gym because you want an activity closer to nature, then don’t forget to take your best climbing boots with you.
- There are trekking routes of gradual difficulty- varying from very easy to very demanding ones- which you can enjoy under the instructions and with Elias and Stella’s help.
- Elias and Stella, the owners, are trekking fanatics and they have climbed all the Greek mountains as well as Kilimanjaro, the Alps, and the Himalayas. And if asked, we think that you will not find Elias reluctant to lead the way to one of these trekking paths, getting you away from the tourist routes and discovering in the nearby mountains, things that only the natives are aware of.
- What’s more, if you are interested in climbing, there is a secure climbing field at the exit of the Dead’s Gorge and Elias will be very willing to lend you his climbing equipment to follow easy or difficult routes, or even to create your one.
- Moreover, if you are interested in Greek or Cretan traditional dances, you can ask Stella to teach you some: from “syrtaki” and “hasapiko” to “pentozali” and “tsamiko”(Stella is a P.E ( Physical Education) teacher, specialized in Greek traditional and folklore dances). Unless, of course, you happen to be present in one of the Greek nights they organize regularly.
- Enjoy the amazing nature, it is impossible to give even a glimpse of the atmosphere you will find here. It is the feeling of an escape from civilization; it is the scent that rises from the Cretan soil; it is the color of tradition and simplicity one will find here; it is the music deriving from nature’s sounds in an immaculate environment; it is the tastes of the local products, varying from fish, vegetables and meat to wine, fruit and “raki”; these are the things that cannot be captured by any camera lens.
- The Apartments are only 150 meters away from the Dead's Gorge exit. This road used to connect Ano Zakros with Kato Zakros and a visitor “must” either drive or walk along with it because the view to the Gorge from it, as she/he moves along its edge, is truly grandiose.
- Walk (E4-path goes from Zakros through the Gorge of the Dead (5.5 km approx. very slow going, sid to take 6.5 to 8 hours!) to Kato Zakros where the gorge reaches the coast.
- Eat fresh fish and more at the tavernas, read, write, make conversation, and visit the Minoan Palace of Zakros. Zakros palace was the last Minoan palace to have been discovered (1962) and the excavations proved remarkably fruitful.
- The Cave of Pelekita is situated at a distance of 5km northeast from Kato Zakros, and is one of the biggest caves in Crete with a length of up to 310m and occupies an area of approximately 500m2. The interior is unique as spectacular stone blocks alternate with the stalactites and the stalagmites that decorate it. Tour the mountain villages and other coastal points nearby, including Xerokambos. Xerokambos is a quiet village and farming settlement on the far southeastern side of lovely Crete. Its isolation means that tourism is pretty much low-key, the busiest period is July and August. There are two splendid beaches and a few scattered tavernas.
- Visit the Toplou Monastery which is located about 11km east of Sitia, one of the wealthiest, most beautiful, and most important monasteries in Crete. The historic monastery has a very special architecture with a square shape and it looks more like a castle.
- Join us for some of the best windsurfing and foil windsurfing lessons in east Crete.
- Small excursions should include the Kapsa Monastery above the gorge of Perivolakia (about 10 km east of Makrygialos) and the remains of the medieval village of Vóila.
- You can also make longer trips to the famous palm beach of Vaï (but don’t go in July or August when it gets sadly crowded), the lively seaside town of Agios Nicolaos on the northern coast, the Lasithi Plateau famous for its 7,000 (or so) windmills, or, closer to ‘home’, the island of Koufonisi, to see the remains of the ancient Roman theatre and to go for a swim from the wonderful sandy beaches.
- Sitia Town is an absorbing place to wander around, doing no more than enjoying atmosphere. The small narrow streets behind the seafront feature the everyday scenes of a Cretan provincial small town: villagers into stock up on news and necessities and stores which cater to their every conceivable need.
- More uplifting activities in Lasithi Area.
- Check-in: 14.00 pm
- Check out: 12.00 pm
- Minimum Stay: 2-3 nights, depending on the season
- Payment Policy: Please check here
Cancellation Policy: Please check here
MHTE: 1040K123K0365500 & 8240 & 19305
How To Get There
The small and hospitable Stella Traditional Apartments is located on the edge of Kato Zakros Village with stunning views to the sea in east authentic east Crete.
- By Air
From May through mid-October there are direct charter flights to Sitia (45km) and, more frequently, to the capital Heraklion (171km). Tickets can be bought in advance for almost all flights via our partner website.
- By Sea
The journey is the thing". A superb way of enjoying the journey to Crete is to fly to Athens and take the ferry from Piraeus (Pireas) - the port serving Athens. A still-romantic way to travel by the overnight ferry from Piraeus to Heraklion Port (173km from the Hotel). Tickets can be bought in advance for all ferries via our partner website.
- By Car
If you want to explore the region while you're here, we recommend that you rent a car, other means of transport are limited and/or infrequent. We suggest our sister website Crete-Car-Rental.com, which offers competitive prices and you can collect your car at either airport.
- By Taxi
Book your taxi transfer online easily and safely from the airport or port to any location via our partner website.
- By Bus
There is a bus from Sitia to Zakros three times per week.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through CreteTravel.com
- Dining: No breakfast is available at Stella Apartments. But you have your own kitchenette or fully equipped kitchen to prepare simple meals, snacks, and coffees and enjoy the stunning view from your own balcony. At your Apartments, you will find all the basic ingredients to prepare your breakfast, for free. Besides, three different kinds of coffee, local herbs for your afternoon tea, and some spices. You will enjoy your breakfasts and meals under the wooden pergola of your apartment. There is also a barbecue and an outdoor kitchen for every apartment.
- Internet Access: Wi-Fi Internet
- Swimming Pool: Not available
- Communal areas: Extensive garden planted with flowers herbs, trees, etc.
- Disabled Access: Not suitable
- Pets: Small pets by arrangement
- Languages Spoken: Greek, English
- Parking: The complex has its private parking