- Enjoy the area's peace and serenity, listen to the melodic sounds of the birds, cicadas, the wind, or the rustling of leaves and these tremendous views.
- Swim, stroll down to the beaches of Kato Zakros, famous for the clarity of the water- are covered either by pebbles or by fine sand. They are rich in fish and are suitable for either an amateur fisherman or a spear fisherman and a professional fisherman as well. The path to the beach goes past small gardens, which the Zacrites (the inhabitants of Zakros) have to produce their vegetables, potatoes, fruit, and citrus fruits. The beach is about a 7 or 8 minutes walk ( of course it is less by car) and it is a very pleasant route.
- But if lying lazily on the hammocks or the armchairs reading, makes you bored, if swimming and enjoying the sun on the beach sounds dull, if exploring the sea-bed or fishing is not your style if you are not interested in using the gym because you want an activity closer to nature, then don’t forget to take your best climbing boots with you.
- There are trekking routes of gradual difficulty- varying from very easy to very demanding ones- which you can enjoy under the instructions and with Elias and Stella’s help.
- Elias and Stella, the owners, are trekking fanatics and they have climbed all the Greek mountains as well as Kilimanjaro, the Alps, and the Himalayas. And if asked, we think that you will not find Elias reluctant to lead the way to one of these trekking paths, getting you away from the tourist routes and discovering in the nearby mountains, things that only the natives are aware of.
- What’s more, if you are interested in climbing, there is a secure climbing field at the exit of the Dead’s Gorge and Elias will be very willing to lend you his climbing equipment to follow easy or difficult routes, or even to create your one.
- Moreover, if you are interested in Greek or Cretan traditional dances, you can ask Stella to teach you some: from “syrtaki” and “hasapiko” to “pentozali” and “tsamiko”(Stella is a P.E ( Physical Education) teacher, specialized in Greek traditional and folklore dances). Unless, of course, you happen to be present in one of the Greek nights they organize regularly.
- Enjoy the amazing nature, it is impossible to give even a glimpse of the atmosphere you will find here. It is the feeling of an escape from civilization; it is the scent that rises from the Cretan soil; it is the color of tradition and simplicity one will find here; it is the music deriving from nature’s sounds in an immaculate environment; it is the tastes of the local products, varying from fish, vegetables and meat to wine, fruit and “raki”; these are the things that cannot be captured by any camera lens.
- The Apartments are only 150 meters away from the Dead's Gorge exit. This road used to connect Ano Zakros with Kato Zakros and a visitor “must” either drive or walk along with it because the view to the Gorge from it, as she/he moves along its edge, is truly grandiose.
- Walk (E4-path goes from Zakros through the Gorge of the Dead (5.5 km approx. very slow going, sid to take 6.5 to 8 hours!) to Kato Zakros where the gorge reaches the coast.
- Join us for some of the best windsurfing and foil windsurfing lessons in east Crete.
- Eat fresh fish and more at the tavernas, read, write, make conversation, and visit the Minoan Palace of Zakros. Zakros palace was the last Minoan palace to have been discovered (1962) and the excavations proved remarkably fruitful.
- The Cave of Pelekita is situated at a distance of 5km northeast from Kato Zakros, and is one of the biggest caves in Crete with a length of up to 310m and occupies an area of approximately 500m2. The interior is unique as spectacular stone blocks alternate with the stalactites and the stalagmites that decorate it. Tour the mountain villages and other coastal points nearby, including Xerokambos. Xerokambos is a quiet village and farming settlement on the far southeastern side of lovely Crete. Its isolation means that tourism is pretty much low-key, the busiest period is July and August. There are two splendid beaches and a few scattered tavernas.
- Visit the Toplou Monastery which is located about 11km east of Sitia, one of the wealthiest, most beautiful, and most important monasteries in Crete. The historic monastery has a very special architecture with a square shape and it looks more like a castle.
- Small excursions should include the Kapsa Monastery above the gorge of Perivolakia (about 10 km east of Makrygialos) and the remains of the medieval village of Vóila.
- You can also make longer trips to the famous palm beach of Vaï (but don’t go in July or August when it gets sadly crowded), the lively seaside town of Agios Nicolaos on the northern coast, the Lasithi Plateau famous for its 7,000 (or so) windmills, or, closer to ‘home’, the island of Koufonisi, to see the remains of the ancient Roman theatre and to go for a swim from the wonderful sandy beaches.
- Sitia Town is an absorbing place to wander around, doing no more than enjoying atmosphere. The small narrow streets behind the seafront feature the everyday scenes of a Cretan provincial small town: villagers in to stock up on news and necessities and stores which cater to their every conceivable need.
- More uplifting activities in East Crete.
Check-in: 14.00 pm
Check out: 12.00 pm
Minimum Stay: 2-3 nights, depending on the season
Credit card details (Visa or Mastercard) are required to charge the deposit amount in order to confirm the reservation.
No additional charges will be made to the credit card unless cancellation charges have to be applied.
The Balance amount is to be paid directly to Terra Minoika Villas.
Credit Cards are accepted by Terra Minoika Villas.
Nearest ATM Bank at Palekastro village.
Up to 31 days before arrival - full refund.
30-16 days prior to arrival 50% of the total will be charged.
15-08 days prior to arrival 75% of the total will be charged.
07- 01 days prior to arrival/no show 100% of the total will be charged.
MHTE: 1040K123K0365500 & 8240 & 19305
How To Get There
Terra Minoika Villas is located on the edge of Kato Zakros Village with stunning views to the sea in east authentic east Crete.
- By Air
From May through mid-October there are direct charter flights to Sitia (45km) and, more frequently, to the capital Heraklion (171km). Tickets can be bought in advance for almost all flights via our partner website.
- By Sea
The journey is the thing". A superb way of enjoying the journey to Crete is to fly to Athens and take the ferry from Piraeus (Pireas) - the port serving Athens. A still-romantic way to travel by the overnight ferry from Piraeus to Heraklion Port (173km from the Hotel). Tickets can be bought in advance for all ferries via our partner website.
- By Car
If you want to explore the region while you're here, we recommend that you rent a car, other means of transport are limited and/or infrequent. We suggest our sister website Crete-Car-Rental.com, which offers competitive prices and you can collect your car at either airport.
- By Taxi
Book your taxi transfer online easily and safely from the airport or port to any location via our partner website.
- By Bus
There is a bus from Sitia to Zakros three times per week.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through CreteTravel.com
- Dining: The apartments have a most functional kitchen with all the equipment you could wish for delicious meals. In addition, Villas owners provide you the ingredients to prepare your breakfast in your villa.
- Internet Access: Free WiFi throughout
- Swimming Pool: Not available
- Spa Treatments: Not available
- Disabled Access: Not suitable
- Pets: Not allowed
- Languages Spoken: Greek, English
- Parking: Private parking is offered on-site