- Axos is a steeped-in-history village in the mountains. There are wondrous views of surrounding mountains and from higher viewpoints views of the north coast and sea beyond. Axos boasts numerous historic churches, important archaeological sites, and caves in the immediate area. For local and inland exploration, summer and winter, this is a real chance for the traditional with a local character and "atmosphere".
- Enagron Ecotourism Village offers some of the best programs and activities in Crete (private or group ones):
Hiking on marked paths, Exploring nature on donkey-back, Participation or observation of farming duties, Participation or observation of social, cultural, or religious events that take place in the surrounding villages, Traditional Cretan cooking classes, Making cheese with a shepherd, Baking bread in the wood oven, Grape-harvest, wine production, the distillation of raki, Botanic walks, Identification and collection of herbs, which upon return we brew into a delicious decoction, Observation of wild birds, Excursion To The Medieval Monastery Of Halepa, Excursion to the Village of Axos, Bucolic Excursion To The Shepherd’s House Or simply enjoying nature with all our senses under the trees or by the pool in the summer
- Make a day just for you and enjoy Enagron's spa. A place where you can totally relax, feel the tranquility of nature by having a pleasant massage therapy or by taking a relaxing jacuzzi bath while admiring the great view of the sheer cliffs of the Vulture’s Gorge or by revitalizing your body in the wooden sauna. The massage therapies are taking place in a beautiful airy and sunlit room that is properly equipped. The therapist combines her expertise with pure organic local products made with extra virgin olive oil to make face, foot, or full-body treatments. The Tranquility Spa Area operates from the beginning of April until the end of October.
- Meet the ordinary people of the village, who are still tied to the land and its traditions and experience the customs of Cretan country life, traditional weddings, celebrations, fairs, and serenades.
- Enjoy the fair dedicated to the local saint Aghios Athanasios on August 21, the Yakinthia.
- Don't miss the Shepherd-Cheese festival and the event on the Psiloritis walk, sheep shearing, “rakokazanemata” and others.
- Participate in vine harvesting, grape pressing, olive picking, milking animals, making cheese, kneading and baking bread and dakos, cooking, cooking “antikristo” meat, olive pressing, the art of weaving on a loom, the woodcarving workshop and stone creations.
- There is also the possibility for ski mountaineering on the natural slopes of Mt Psiloritis, hiking, and exploring the natural beauty of the area, mountain biking, and other winter sports.
- Visit the new Museum of Wooden Sculptures fronted by a massive sculpture of Hercules killing the lion. This private museum is a permanent collection of sculptor George Koutantos. It works both as a Museum and Workshop and is the outcome of twenty years of involvement with sculpture.
- Sea lovers may enjoy swimming in the crystal clear waters of Bali and Panormo.
Visit the nearby spectacular Cave of Sfendoni (just beyond Zoniana) with a magnificent display of stalactites, stalagmites, and petrified waves, many over five million years old.
- Explore a place with history and character with warm people and excellent cuisine, Anogia Village.
- Visit or walk to the Monastery of Dioskouri, nearby Garazo Village, a historical monastery, with neatly ordered cells circling the tiny church Agios Georgios a particularly serene place n the early evening when the monks fill the place with singing and incense from the church wafts around the small courtyard.
- Venture from here to the awe-inspiring and enormous plateau, the Nida Plateau, and visit the Ideon Cave. The journey is truly scenic and takes you through sparkling rock and mountainscapes. There is a taverna at the plateau - what you want to do is just walk, wander and take in this "out of Africa-like" panorama. (In winter skiing would be a possibility on the way up to the plateau - there is a ski "area", but it has not been operating for years).
- At Zoniana, a nearby village, you can check out the new wax museum.
- Visit the old city of Rethymno with the pedestrian zone, the narrow streets, the small shops., the nice cafes and restaurants. Visit the archeological museum and the minaret in the city center and the afternoon enjoy your coffee on the waterfront just opposite the hotel.
- Rethymno is also famous because of the carnival in the wintertime. The last week of the carnival, the party starts on Friday and ends on Sunday with the big parade. People from all over Greece come here because of the carnival that becomes always better and better.
- Discover the Amari Valley a wonderful place to visit in the heat of the summer, where the traditional mountain villages with their plane trees, cool springs and kafenions are still untouched by tourism.
- Yakinthia is an artistic cultural festival that takes place every year in July on Crete in the village of Anogia. It is a festival dedicated to love and hope. Its name is derived from the story of Saint Yakinthios.
- More uplifting activities in Central Crete.
- Check-in: 15.00 pm - 24.00 am
- Check out: 08.00 - 11.00 am
- Minimum Stay: 1-3 nights, depending on the season
- Payment Policy: Please check here
- Cancellation Policy: Please check here
How To Get There
Enagron Ecotourism-Alternative Village is set at the historic Axos Village 48 km away from the town of Rethymno in Crete.
- By Air
From May through mid-October there are direct charter flights to Chania Airport (116km) or Heraklion Airport (43km). Tickets can be bought in advance for almost all flights via our partner website.
- By Sea
The journey is the thing". A superb way of enjoying the journey to Crete is to fly to Athens and take the ferry from Piraeus (Pireas) - the port serving Athens. A still-romantic way to travel by the overnight ferry from Piraeus to Chania-Souda Port (80km) or Heraklion Port (85km). Tickets can be bought in advance for all ferries via our partner website.
- By Car
If you want to explore the region while you're here, we recommend that you rent a car, other means of transport are limited and/or infrequent. We suggest our sister website Crete-Car-Rental.com, which offers competitive prices and you can collect your car at either airport.
- By Taxi
Book your taxi transfer online easily and safely from the airport or port to any location via our partner website.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through CreteTravel.com
- Dining: Traditional Cretan Homemade Breakfast Buffet. The spacious and cozy lounge with an Internet corner. The gastronomy events take place in the kitchen and of course in the restaurant with the many old artifacts, tools, and works of art. Further, there is a wood oven, a cheese-dairy, the fireplaces, the raki distillery, the wine-press and of course the farmyard where the events take place during the summer under the cooling shade of the huge oak tree. The traditional kafenion, friendly and very cozy for coffee, drinks, and board games.
- Internet Access: Ultra Fast Free WiFi over Fiber Optic Internet Connection in all Apartments and Common Areas.
- Mountain bikes are available : (on-request according to availability)
- Binoculars are available : (on-request according to availability)
- Swimming Pool: The swimming pool at the most impressive point opposite to the cliffs, where eagles nest.
- Spa Treatments: Available
- Disabled Access: Wheelchair accessible but please note upper floors accessible by stairs only
- Pets: Pets are not allowed
- Languages Spoken: Greek, English, German, French
- Parking: Private parking area