A few steps from your room and you are attempting water's edge
Porto Loutro On The Beach is the modest princess of one of the most special places in Crete – Loutro.
An unparalleled scenic location, with bright airy rooms, very comfortable beds and crisp quality at a good price, a bar/cafe/restaurant, and a sauna, your best option for staying in Loutro. Just unique.
The hotel, created with quality, comfort, and simplicity, a very special result.
All rooms have wondrous mountain and sea views, a bathroom, and air conditioning. There are also three rooms with a tree or side view, shadier and even quieter if you wish. The hotel has a bar-cafe and breakfast area too.
Hotel Porto Loutro On The Beach sits squarely in the center of the small pebble beach, forming the focal point of the arc-shaped bay. A few steps from your room and you are at tempting water's edge. Since 2019, all rooms have been upgraded with comfortable beds with firm mattresses and softer memory toppings, and new rain showers.
Gazing at the mountains, listening to the clanking goat bells, reading, swimming, endless choice of walks and climbs (visit Anopolis and the Aradena Gorge), boating trips to your choice of beach-for-the-day. Peace and quiet with no cars!
Loutro is accessible by a 20-minute trip on the ferry from Sfakia Village. This journey and arriving with the magical vision of the bay appearing before you will start restoring you to prime performance!
"There is nowhere else like it in Crete and having traveled in search of wonderful and heart-warming places, I have not found any equal to Loutro....the view from the hotel terrace bar is one of the best in the world, of this I'm sure." A quote expressing the sentiments of many Porto Loutro guests!
Renting a car: As you will be taking the ferry to get to Loutro, please note that you cannot take a car with you (it is car-free), so you will need to park your car in Sfakia harbor. Of course, if you are staying at Loutro for many days, perhaps it is better to use a taxi to travel to/from Sfakia, rather than have your rental car "sit" at the parking area.
Why We Like It
- A perfect place to walk, flop, read, swim, paint, eat healthily, sip wine, and just poke around. Sample simple but genuinely Cretan food with kind, happy people.
- Almost all rooms have a balcony and sea view. There are also three rooms at Porto Loutro I with a tree or side view, shadier and even quieter if you wish.
- This is a sea view with a difference – the bay, the mountains, the islet edging one side of the bay, and the distant glimmer of Sfakia and Frangokastello at night.
- We love Loutro, the place where there are no cars... And the Porto Loutro experience, from your bed you can see the sea! Having breakfast under the shade of the trees and watching the sea, so close you can almost touch it, is a wonderful experience. Alison and Sofia are wonderful hosts.
Good To Know
- The only connection between Loutro and Chora Sfakion is by ferry or private boat-taxi.
- Please note that Hotel Porto Loutro is unable to accommodate children under 7 years old.
Hotel Porto Loutro On The Beach, on the beach in the center of Loutro's sparkling bay.
All rooms have a wonderful sea view (just 3 rooms have a tree, side sea view).
Every room has air conditioning (this also provides heating ), a balcony with sea view, a private marble-lined bathroom with a shower, ample space for your clothes and luggage, beach towels, a safe deposit box, and a small fridge.
- Double & Triple Rooms (25m2): Opening to a furnished balcony or terrace with Libyan Sea views, this air-conditioned room comes with a satellite TV, a fridge and a safe.
- Self-Catering Studios: They are two-room studios that can accommodate up to 4 people with comfortable beds with firm mattresses and softer memory toppings and new rain showers.
Prices include a small buffet breakfast with quality and delicious products.
Porto Loutro On The Beach has a terrace bar/cafe serving breakfast, drinks, ice creams, light snacks, and homemade cakes. The atmosphere guests find here is to be at home & relaxed.
Lunch and dinner are provided at the sister Porto Loutro On The Hill, based on modern Mediterranean food.
And if it takes a day or so to unwind from life's complexity, you are bound to be entertained by Alison's unique perspectives on people and life in Loutro.
All the places to eat (delicious food almost all of them), drink or sip a coffee at Loutro are on the water's edge, you can sit as if floating on the small bay.
There is a welcoming tradition in Crete and it appears magnified in Loutro. A friendliness that hardly exists elsewhere anymore.
Whatever you do the rest of the year, this place brings out all those things you'd like to feel, all the time.
Hotel Porto Loutro On The Beach is unable to accommodate children younger than 7 years old.
There is no capacity for baby cots in rooms.
- Loutro is the only natural harbor on the south coast of Crete.
- Loutro is peaceful - it is small and feels like a village even if 95% of the people here in the summer are visitors.
- Really Loutro is a place to let days flow by as they will. When you meet people who're poetic utterances appeal - converse, when striding rocky paths is the urge - proceed, when the water beckons - shout back / get in; eat and relax.
- You shouldn't come here expecting entertainment - the reward is being in Loutro and listening to what your heart desires.
- The absence of cars and bikes makes it quiet and peaceful.
- Walking and hiking. For this Loutro is a paradise. Some come to walk the Imbros Gorge, visit the old village of Aradena. Walking via the Aradena gorge to Marmara Beach to take the afternoon boat, back to Loutro after a cooling swim and a drink at the beachside cafe.
- Discover the Imbros gorge. Less crowded and shorter than the famous Samaria, Imbros gorge is the perfect ravine for those who want to test their hiking skills and admire the local landscape. Take a day off from lazy lounging on the beach of Loutro and catch the ferry to Chora Sfakia. Once there, jump on the bus that covers the route to Chania and stop at the entrance of Imbros. Access the gorge to make your way back South along the natural path of Imbros, surrounded by lush vegetation, high mountain walls, and in the company of some Cretan goats! Replenish your strength with fresh juice in the taverna at the exit of the gorge and face the final walk back to the port of Chora Sfakion. If you choose to follow this trail, make sure to check the schedule for the last boat to Loutro. The hike through Imbros takes from 2 to 3 hours and it will put you in direct contact with Crete’s mountainous landscape and traditional atmosphere.
- Others walk up to Anopolis - via a seemingly vertical zig-zag path to reach, at 600 meters, the point where the valley becomes visible and the further expanses of the White Mountains (Lefka Ori) tower higher still in the distance. To have an Elliniko coffee and Sfakian pitta at a cafe and then descend, back to Loutro, still in time for breakfast.
- You may prefer idling, gazing, dreaming, and re-charging. Some will laze through the day, glancing at the page of a book here and there, falling into conversation with others. Or spend a whole day where time does not matter and the biggest decision is which of the tavernas to choose for an evening meal.
- The tavernas offer fresh fish, lamb, a wide variety of vegetarian dishes, as well as grilled, roast, and other interesting local recipes. The desire for simple or elaborate platters, many flavors, and taste treats are easily satisfied.
- Sunbathing on the beach (no topless bathing) - just taking a few steps, dipping in the water, and snoozing under a beach umbrella. Perhaps you will take a canoe out for an hour or a day and visit bays and beaches at will. Umbrellas and canoes can be rented from the hotel's beach assistant. (Nude sunbathing is freely pursued at, just a boat trip away, Sweetwater beach!).
- Caiques leave at 11 O'clock every day for Sweetwater and Marmara beach. The same boat does the return trip in the afternoon. This is also one of many ways to create an interesting walk - for example, taking the caique to Marmara or for a shorter walk on to Phoenix then walking across the hill back to Loutro.
- The alternative way. No more than 700 meters west of Loutro, you can visit the small beach of Finikas as well as the beach and Lykos. If you’re in the mood to hike a bit more, you’ll be able to reach the spectacular Marmara beach where you can go swimming or even snorkeling inside the marble sea caves. Walking along the coastal E4 path to the east, it’s also possible to spend a day in the beautiful Glyka Nera. Also known as Sweetwater beach, spending a day there means a time filled with relaxation, enjoying the crystalline waters on this white pebbled beach. There’s basic organization provided by the local taverna, however, it’s always safe to pack some cold drinks and lunch, especially if you are visiting very early or late in the season.
- Writing. reading, dreaming ... go slowly. Do sweet.....nothing at all!
- Nightlife. What? Nightlife in Loutro is just being here! No discos or clubs, just a bar or two where music is played softly - complementing the freshness of the air, the tranquility of the night. Nightlife here is you, your conversation, your next drink, your gaze out to sea, toward the horizon.
- Visit the castle and Roman-medieval ruins on the hill above Loutro. Walk a little or strenuous hike - this is the perfect place to get your first taste of the mountain and sea-edge paths or to enjoy a challenge if you are athletically inclined.
- At "Marmara" the beach ends up at the Aradena gorge. Walk through the gorge, and if you want you can also do buggy jumping.
- For those staying longer or feeling momentarily restless, hop on the ferry and take a ride to Agia Roumelli, here ends up at the Samaria Gorge. If you wish you can see the last part ( till the famous narrow point " portes") of the gorge. Don't forget that you have to return to Loutro by ferry.
- Or maybe you are a bird lover, read more about bird watching.
- You can also take the ferry into Sfakia (Chora Sfakia or Sfakion) and spend a half-hour or a few hours there for a change of scene (check ferry schedules). Scuba diving could be an option at Sfakia Village or what about a Gavdos Island Boat Round Trip
- A great option to explore by the sea maybe some of the best beaches in Crete is by Sea Kayak. More information here.
- Or maybe you would like to join us for a unique sailing experience "Sailing Trip In South Chania-Most Stunning Beaches" or "Sunset Sailing Trip In Sfakia Area & Loutro Village" or "Sailing & Sea Kayak Trip To Gavdos Island & Best Beaches Of South Chania".
- More activities in South Chania Area.
- Check-in: 14.00 pm
- Check out: 12.00 pm
- Minimum Stay: 2-3 nights, depending on the season
Prices shown are per room, per night and include continental breakfast, air conditioning (cooling/ heating), mini-fridge in the room and all taxes (except the stayover tax 0.50 Euros per night).
Extra cost of 15.00 Euros for extra person (if possible in any of the above types of rooms).
- Payment Policy:
Credit card details (Visa or MasterCard) are required to charge the deposit amount in order to confirm the reservation.
The deposit amount will be charged two weeks before your arrival.
No additional charges will be made to the credit card unless cancellation charges have to be applied.
The balance amount is to be paid directly to Porto Loutro on the Beach at the time of stay.
- Cancellation Policy:
Up to 2 weeks before arrival - full refund.
After that period, the deposit is not refundable if you cancel.
Not arriving at the hotel for your booking: the full balance will be charged (at the hotel's discretion).
Departure before booked departure date: at the hotel's discretion, the full balance may be charged by the hotel.
How To Get There
Porto Loutro On The Beach is located in Loutro, which is accessible by a 30-minute trip on the ferry from Chora Sfakion.
- By Air
From May through mid-October there are direct charter flights to Chania (78km) and Heraklion (145km). Tickets can be bought in advance for almost all flights via our partner website.
The closest airport to fly into is Chania, but Heraklion has more flights available. From Chania Airport you can take a taxi to Chora Sfakia (about 1.5 hours) or take a taxi to Chania bus station and then by bus to Chora Sfakia (about 2 hours). The last bus from Chania to Chora Sfakia is at 14:00.
At Chora Sfakia the ferry departs 4-5 times a day for Loutro, starting at 10:30 in the morning (see ferry schedules on CreteTravel.com). If you wish you can use the Water Taxi service - ask for this when you book your rooms. Alison will also arrange a taxi for you if you want to reserve it in advance.
From Heraklion Airport the options are the same, including the choice of reserving a taxi in advance, the journey time to Loutro is 2.5 hours. By bus, you need to take the airport bus or taxi to the Chania bus station, buy your ticket to Chora Sfakia. You will change buses at Vrysses. The last bus from Vrysses to Chora Sfakia is at 14:30.
- By Sea
-Loutro is reached by sea - with a ferry from Sfakia (or Agia Roumeli, Sougia, or Paleohora).
-To get to Sfakia (Chora Sfakia) take the "Vrysses" turn about 28 KM east of Chania (26 kilometers from Rethymno).
(The journey from Vrysses to Chania takes between 40 and 55 minutes.}
-Please note that to get to Loutro you take the ferry from Sfakia (Chora Sfakia) which takes 20 minutes, consult the schedule on our Website ( South Coast Ferries ) for times and more information.
-You buy tickets at the ticket kiosk which is at the bottom of the hill after you enter Sfakia, straight on, and at the ferry landing on your right.
-Should the weather turn bad, it is possible for ferry sailings to be canceled - so it is best to be flexible and take as part of your travel experience, the opportunity to stay overnight in Sfakia if necessary; or on rare occasions, get to enjoy an unexpected additional night's stay in Loutro! We cannot (yet) control the weather, nor indeed the mood of the sea......
- Parking your car at Sfakia's Port would cost ~ 3.00 Euros per day
PLEASE NOTE: We could offer you a taxi boat transfer to Loutro Village too, in case of late or early arrival. Just click here for more information.
- By Car
If you want to explore the region while you're here, we recommend that you rent a car, other means of transport are limited and/or infrequent. We suggest our sister website Crete-Car-Rental.com, which offers competitive prices and you can collect your car at either airport.
- By Taxi
Book your taxi transfer online easily and safely from the airport or port to any location via our partner website.
- By Walking
A few enthusiastic walkers do arrive in Loutro via the Samaria gorge, walking the 18 km with luggage upon their backs, then taking the ferry (about 45 minutes) from Agia Roumeli to Loutro. As an alternative, you can also drive from Chora Sfakion up to Anopolis village, park your car there, and then hike the winding path down to Loutro, this option will take you a bit more than an hour. Another way to reach Loutro is on foot. You can either walk along the coast on the E4 path (about 2 hours from Chora Sfakion). On your way there it’s possible to stop for a swim and a rest at the beaches of Glyka Nera or Timios Stavros.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through CreteTravel.com
- Dining: Price includes breakfast. There is a terrace bar/cafe/restaurant serving breakfast, meals, drinks, ice creams, light snacks, and home-made cakes. The atmosphere guests find here is to be at home & relaxed.
- Internet Access: Free Voucher is provided to the guests of Porto Loutro as they use the services of the Cafe of the Hotel. Alternatively, vouchers could be bought (low cost) during the whole stay.
- Swimming Pool: Not necessary
- Spa Treatments: Not available
- Disabled Access: Not suitable
- Pets: On request
- Languages Spoken: Greek, English
- Parking: Renting a car: As you will be taking the ferry to get to Loutro, please note that you cannot take a car with you to Loutro (it is car-free), so you will need to park your car in Sfakia harbor. Of course, if you are staying at Loutro for many days, perhaps it is better to use a taxi to travel to/from Sfakia, rather than have your rental car "sit" at the parking area.