The 10 tiny houses are furnished with wooden chairs and tables, linen and lace hang to cover the windows, a fireplace with round ceramic chimney (for November to March use). Some rooms are built into the rocks!
An award-winning solar electricity installation provides the electricity that is used sparingly for "essentials". Hot water in the shower is gas-heated. Low voltage refrigerators and lamps for the bathrooms, continue this ecologically friendly nest.
Each small house has a rudimentary kitchenette - with basic cooking facilities and gas rings. For all houses, there are no electric sockets in the house but there is a multi-socket adaptor at the reception area. Oil lamps provide the main lighting in the houses, whilst the installed solar photovoltaic system provides electricity to reading lights on top of the double bed, to the bathroom light and the refrigerators.
*For 2 people, we strongly recommend a house for 2/3 people. The space and light in the smaller 1/2 people's houses are limited.
- House No 1 (up to 3 people) :
It is located at the top of the houses on the right side. The guest can enjoy a fantastic view of the entire area of Aspros Potamos. It is a spacious studio of 40 m2, bright and well ventilated.
When you enter the house on your right hand there is a large bed made of stone. Right in the middle of the studio, there is a fireplace. On the other side, there is a kitchen and a sitting space with a sofa made of stone which can be also used as a single bed. This house is in a quiet and independent location.
House No1 can accommodate up to 3 people but more often 2 people will enjoy this spacious room.
- House No 2 (up to 5 people) :
It is located at the top of the village on the right side. There is a big terrace with a panoramic view. It is the biggest house in Aspros Potamos, bright and airy with big spacious rooms. It is ideal for a family.
As you enter the house you will notice that it has two levels. On the first level, there is a big double bed. On the second level, there is a sitting room, a fireplace, and a kitchen. If you continue, you will see the second bedroom where there is a double and a single bed and a door leading to the terrace.
- House No 3 (up to 5 people) :
It is located between house No2 and No4. It is an impressive house with a high ceiling, bright and airy with a mezzanine. It is a truly original and beautiful house. The house is divided into two levels.
Below, is a big sitting room with a fireplace, a kitchenette, and three single beds, made of stone, that can also be used as sofas. A wood staircase leads to the first floor where there are a big double bed and a bathroom. The room on the first level looks like an interior balcony, the traditional style of this bedroom is called Ondas in Greek.
This house is ideal for a family. However due to its individuality, quite often two or three people can enjoy staying in it. It has a spacious terrace with a view of the garden and easy access to the parking area.
- House No 4 (up to 3 people) :
It is located between house No3 and No5. It is divided into two rooms. The first room is the sitting room with the kitchen. In the sitting room, there is a single bed made of stone that can be used as a sofa.
If you go down 2 steps, you will see the bedroom. This room resembles a cave because the bed is built into the original bedrock of the mountain. There is a small double bed, therefore it is not recommended for well-built people. Opposite the bed, there is a small fireplace which makes the room even more magical.
The veranda of the house looks onto the garden. It has easy access to parking.
House No4 can accommodate up to 3 people but often 2 people will stay if they are looking for a more spacious house.
- House No 5 (up to 3 people) :
It is located next to house No4 with a view of the garden. It is divided into three rooms. The first room is the sitting room with a fireplace and only one single bed made of stone which can be also used as a sofa. On your right, in a separate room, is a kitchen. At the end of the sitting room, there is a bedroom.
It is a spacious and bright room with a big double bed. This house is suitable for a family with a small child or a baby because of its easy access to the parking, outside there are not many stairs and the sitting room with the bedroom is almost at the same level.
House No5 can accommodate up to 3 people but most often 2 people stay to enjoy the two spacious rooms.
- House No 6 (up to 4 people) :
We also call it “Smurf house” because of its height and shape. The original bedrocks inside the house are very impressive as they jut out the walls.
In the first room, there is a small and long sitting room with a low ceiling, a fireplace, and a kitchen. At the end of the sitting room, there is one bedroom. On your right, down 2 steps, you enter the second bedroom. It is a spacious, bright and airy room with a small double bed and its courtyard. This house has two patios: one at the entrance and one in the second bedroom. Its outside bathroom is located on the first terrace, just two steps from the entrance door.
The terrace has a reed fence and a separate door which provides privacy and autonomy to the guests.
House No6 is not recommended for tall or well-built people. It can accommodate up to 4 people.
- House No 7 (up to 4 people) :
It is one of the most impressive houses of Aspros Potamos. The high ceiled house is bright and airy with a small terrace and a marvelous view. It is quiet, independent and isolated.
As if the house was born from rock, the guest will marvel at its uniqueness. As you enter the house on your left there is a kitchen. In front of you, there is a sitting room and in the end, you can see the first double bed. The original bedrock emerges from the walls and creates a natural bedroom. Going down two steps on your left you enter the second bedroom.
House No7 has two rooms with two double beds and it can accommodate up to 4 persons.
- House No 8 (up to 2 people) :
This house is located in the center of the settlement, in an open space, with a view of the hills and the foot of Pefki Gorge.
It has two small rooms, a sitting room, and a bedroom. Similar to the other houses, one can also see how the natural bedrock is integrated into the walls creating a unique sensation to the guest. Sunny and airy it can accommodate up to two people. The bathroom is located outside. This house has a spacious terrace with a beautiful view of the sea.
- House No 9 (up to 2 people) :
It is the smallest one, but bright and airy. It is next to house No8 in an excellent location with a panoramic view of the sea. It is a small studio with a bathroom. On your right, there is a big double bed and on your left, there is a kitchenette and a refrigerator.
House No9 can accommodate 1-2 persons.
- House No 10 (up to 2 people) :
It consists of a single room and a bathroom. It is in a quiet location and it has a large terrace with a beautiful view. When you enter the house, on your right there is a kitchen and at the other end of the room, there is a big double bed. There is an impressive rock jutting out of the wall above the bed.
- Please find more images of houses and check prices here!
Upon request (on the previous day), the traditional Cretan breakfast is served at little tables in the garden and is made of fresh local produce at the time you wish, but not before 08:30 am.
The cottages of Aspros Potamos are self-catering and there is no restaurant. The kitchenettes are equipped with the basics.
There is a wide choice of restaurants near the coast, at Makrigialos.
If you are going to use the barbeque of the guest house, please do not forget to put out the fire completely, once you have finished.
Families are welcome at Aspros Potamos Houses but could be more preferable for older children.
Free! One child under 3 years stays free of charge in a child's baby cot.
The maximum number of children's baby cots in a room is 1.
Any type of extra bed or child's baby cot is upon request and needs to be confirmed by the hotel.
The beach of Makrigialos has a very gentle incline that makes it particularly suitable for children.
- Many nature lovers, hikers, mountaineers, and people simply looking for something different on their vacation, visiting Aspros Potamos every year. The location is ideal for those looking for tranquility and relaxation and it combines country and sea holidays.
- The declaration of biologists that the driest areas present a greater number of species is really obvious here in the Lassithi region. Amongst the 2000 indigenous plant species of Crete, just a few are not to be found in Lassithi, which are yet to be found in the other geographical departments of Crete or on the neighboring islets.
- A visit to the Pefki Gorge, which starts from the village Pefki and ends at Aspros Potamos is without a doubt a must, during your stay.
- Small excursions should include the Kapsa Monastery above the gorge of Perivolakia (about 10 km east of Makrygialos) and the remains of the medieval village of Vóila. You can also make longer trips to the famous palm beach of Vaï (but don’t go in July or August when it gets sadly crowded), the excavations of the Minoan palace at Kato Zakros, and the so-called Gorge of the Death, the lively seaside town of Agios Nicolaos on the northern coast, the Lasithi plateau famous for its 7,000 (or so) windmills, or, closer to ‘home’, the island of Koufonisi, to see the remains of the ancient Roman theatre and to go for a swim from the wonderful sandy beaches.
- There are some great routes and trails around Makrigialos. A few of them: Kastamonitsa Village to Selakano, Selakano to Vasiliki Village, Vasiliki Village to Papagiannides and Papagiannides to Kato Zakros where is the end of E4 European Long Distance Path.
- There are numerous fine beaches in the Makri Gialos region. Whilst the most popular during the summer is the Makri Gialos main beach, which offers all facilities including water sports. You can also reach several other beaches within a short walking distance.
- To the east of Makri Gialos, there are two beaches below the Sunwing Hotel, reached by walking down the right-hand side of the hotel past the bungalows belonging to Sunwing. Further east takes you to Diaskari beach, which has wooden pergolas shading sunbeds and hammock sand is home to a small traditional taverna.
- Further still, by taking the road to Kalo Nero, you will reach Amathi beach and several other small coves and beaches which are often deserted although there are no facilities on the beaches.
- To the west of Makri Gialos, the first beach is Kalamokania, further on there are beaches along the coast Koutsouras and Mavros Kolimbos and very attractive horseshoe-shaped bays at Galini and Agia Fotia.
- There are many small fine villages in the Region of Makri Gialos, all with their own particular merits. It is well worth hiring a car to visit these villages, sample some of the local atmospheres, hospitality, and culture, visit their splendid and historic churches, and enjoy spectacular views as most are mountain villages. Aori, Agios Stephanos, Azali, Bembonas, Chrysopigi, Lapithos, Lithines, Orino, Pefki, Pervolakia, Schinokapsala, Stavrohori.
- More uplifting activities in East Crete!
- Check-in: 14.00 pm
- Check out: 12.00 pm
- Minimum Stay: 2-3 nights, depending on the season
- Payment Policy: Please check here
- Cancellation Policy: Please check here
How To Get There
The small and hospitable Aspros Potamos is located at Makriyialos Village, Crete with views to the valley, 25 km from Ierapetra
- By Air
From May through mid-October there are direct charter flights to Sitia (35 km from the village) and, more frequently, to the capital Heraklion (120 km). Tickets can be bought in advance for almost all flights from our partner website.
- By Sea
"The journey is the thing". A superb way of enjoying the journey to Crete is to fly to Athens and take the ferry from Piraeus (Pireas) - the port serving Athens. A still-romantic way to travel by the overnight ferry from Piraeus to Heraklion Port (101km). Tickets can be bought in advance for all ferries via our partner website.
- By Car
If you want to explore the region while you're here, we recommend that you rent a car, other means of transport are limited and/or infrequent. We suggest our sister website Crete-Car-Rental.com, which offers competitive prices and you can collect your car at either airport.
- By Taxi
Book your transfer online easily and safely from the airport or port to any location via our partner website.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through CreteTravel.com
- Dining: If you require breakfast, you should arrange that one day in advance. Breakfast is served in the reception room at the time you wish, but not before 08:30 am. The cottages of Aspros Potamos are self-catering and there is no restaurant. The kitchenettes are equipped with the basics. There is a wide choice of restaurants near the coast, at Makrigialos.
- Internet Access: There is also a computer available with 24-hour internet access and a Wifi network at the reception. The use of the internet is free of charge.
- Transfer: If you arrive by bus and an arrangement has been made in advance, Myrto the owner will wait at the bus stop to transfer you to the house and take you back regardless of the opening hours of the reception desk.
- Swimming Pool: No
- Communal areas: Reception and Breakfast Room
- Meetings/Functions: Not suitable
- Disabled Access: Not suitable
- Pets: Are allowed on request
- Languages Spoken: Greek, English
- Parking: Free private parking is possible on site (reservation is not needed).
- Extra Valuable Information: Ask for beach umbrellas, beach mattresses, rackets, etc. before you buy them. Maybe there is something in the guest house from previous guests.
- Useful Information: Myrto's (owner) stores of traditional art-ΑΝΕΜΗ & ΚΛΙΚ ΚΛΙΚ offer a discount of 10% for all the guests of Aspros Potamos.
- If you are going to use the barbecue of the guest house, please do not forget to put out the fire completely, once you have finished.
- It is a library in the reception room where you can borrow books.