description Book now
Minos, the Nine Years King Outside Of Knossos Minoan Palace.
- Full Day
- History & Culture
This tour is a subversive approach of the most famous palace of Crete and the Minoan civilization, the Knossos Minoan Palace.
This program is adapted to families with children (interactive methods, games, separate booklet).
The excursion includes a rich picnic in nature, adapted to the Minoan Era.
There is the possibility to include 2-hour trekking, with the archeologist, from the sanctuary of Anemospilia to the peak sanctuary of Yiouhtas in Archanes, through an ancient, path with a stunning view.
Knossos, the great city of Minoan Crete, was the seat of the legendary king of the island, Minos, son of Zeus and oriental princess Europe.
The earliest ancient sources mention the name of Minos with the word “Enneoros”, i.e. the king his term lasted nine years. Every nine years Minos ascended to the mountain edge of his earth, to receive the law of God itself, essentially to renew the sanction of his nine-year office. The scenery around the palace of Knossos provides one of the most imaginative mythical landscapes of this nine-year ritual process. On the outskirts of Knossos lay the mountain that may be climbed and the rivers that flowed from this mountain leading to Knossos and the palace of the king, forming the paths and roads of this area.
You will have the opportunity to become acquainted with this ancient “fabulous scenery”: the landscape of mountains, rivers, and roads of the region, where the town and the palace of Knossos were built up.
The excursion to this historical landscape gives the stimulus to know the ways of measuring time by the Minoans, i.e. to get to know their calendar: the power and management on time, was as severe as the responsibility for the successful Space management, by Minos the great King of Knossos.
- Driving (or trekking) at the top of the mountain Yiouhtas (811m.).
- Guiding around the Minoan sanctuary of Anemospilia.
- Visiting the hilly area of Fourni where the picnic will take place
- A two-hour trek to the peak sanctuary of Juktas (at an additional charge)
- Starting from 45 euros per person (in a group of 12 people)
- Note: THIS TRIP IS A PRIVATE EXCURSION
- Child under 6 years old free of charge.
- Child 6 - 12 years old 15 % discount.
- Discount is not valid if the participants are only 2.
- Experienced archaeologist
- Thematic booklet
- Light lunch in nature adapted to the Minoan diet
- Water (1 lt)
- For the trekking part, if chosen: Walking poles (on request, depending on availability)
- Third-Party Liability
- Transport from/to your accommodation (upon request)
- Guided tours and entrance tickets for organized archaeological sites
- Personal Insurance (upon request)
- Beverages and drinks
- Personal expenses & tips
- Anything not mentioned above
4-6 hours (depending on whether you will choose the trekking)
The surroundings of the archaeological site of Knossos (15 km from Heraklion Town)
Note: For other languages, the possibility to have a translator, with a supplement.
- Suitable for ages over 12 years old (experience required)
- Necessary personal equipment: Sunscreen oil, hat, sunglasses, comfortable shoes for walking,
- PLEASE INFORM US of any dietary needs/particularities you might have (allergies, intolerances) or other health issues we have to take into consideration. Many thanks.
The reviews for the Minos - The Nine Years King Outside Of Knossos Minoan Palace