description Book now
Hiking on the east side of mount Psiloritis or mount Ida and especially in summit Giristi is a great adventure.
- Small Group
- Full Day
- Trekking & Hiking
This is a demanding hike as the journey starts from 400 meters and going up to the summit at 1779 meters; that is an ascent of 1379 meters in a day.
You need to be very fit to complete this hike. The view from the summit is outstanding, one of the best landscapes in Crete.
The hike starts from the village of Ano Asites just half an hour drive from the city of Heraklio. From Ano Asites the group will follow stay on an off-road approximately 1.5km and then will move on a rocky path all way up until the base of Giristi summit.
During the walk, there will be a break at the refuge of Prinos (1100 m).
Occasionally is open; if that is the case we can have a cold or hot drink depending on the season!
Part of the route is using the E4 European Path. The E4 European long-distance path or E4 path is one of the European long-distance paths starting in Spain at its westernmost point and leading through France, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria to end in Greece. It visits the Greek island of Crete as well as Cyprus.
This hike on Psiloritis (Ida Mountain) and Giristi Summit is not easy and is definitely not for everyone. You need to be in very good shape, being able to carry at least 2lt of water (during the summer months), and be able to walk for at least 8 hours within a day.
It is possible to adjust the route's length to a shorter one. If that is the case instead of Giristi summit we will try to reach Piramida which is about 3 hours less walking (total 5-6 hours instead of 9).
- 80€ or 160€ for a private hike, just you and the guide.
- For 4 or more bookings there will be a 20% discount on the listed price.
- For very large groups (8 or more) we can arrange to have the hut opened for lunch for an extra 10€ per person.
- If this is something you are interested in please get in touch with us at least a month in advance.
- picnic lunches during the walks
- Our partner is not responsible for any accidents or mishaps directly or indirectly related to the tour
Duration & Period
We start at 10 am and finish at 3-4 pm. If time changes for any reason you will be notified by email.
All year long. During the winter months, you will need to have excellent self-rescue skills on snow using your ice ax and crampons due to snow. Usually, there is snow from late December to late March.
- The Giristi hike offers a moderate trek with a minimum of 8 hours' walk on rocky footpaths.
- Participants should be in very good physical condition. Experience is essential during the winter but not during the summer.
What to bring
Daypack (approx. 25-35lt), trekking shoes, fleece jacket, windproof jacket, water bottle (at least 2.5lt of water during the summer), hat, sun cream, sunglasses and ice ax/crampons if you choose this hike during the winter.
The reviews for the Psiloritis - Guristi Mountain Hiking Trip