description Book now
Amalthia-Making Cretan Cheese In The Heart Of Psiloritis Natural Park. A fascinating tour in the world of traditional Cretan cheese; the famous livestock product of the most mountainous island in the Mediterranean. A shepherd and a specialist of food quality is going to help us to experience and learn the most of this great tour in Cretan mainland.
- Small Group
- Full Day
- Gastronomy (Wine Tastings & Cooking Workshops)
- History & Culture
- Trekking & Hiking
- Jeep Safari Tours
- Cretan Villages
A fascinating tour in the world of traditional Cretan cheese; the famous livestock product of the most mountainous island in the Mediterranean.
A shepherd and a specialist if food quality is going to help us to experience and learn the most of this great tour in Cretan mainland.
We will walk to easy paths that pass through pastures where livestock is practiced nowadays and will enjoy a full tasting experience based on dairy products.
Crete leads the world in cheese consumption and Cretans love cheese rather than milk. Many dishes of the traditional Cretan cuisine are based on local dairy products. However cheese is eaten in Crete alone throughout the day, and Cretan Graviera topped with honey is Cretans favorite breakfast or supper.
The taste of the Cretan cheeses (graviera, kefalograviera, kefalotiri, sweet or sour mizithra, athotiros, staka, stakovoutiro, pichtogalo Chanion, xinogalo ) and the rest of the dairy products is unsurpassed!
An important source of proteins of high biological quality, cheese plays a central role in the Cretan diet. It is said to be a source of saturated fats but the Cretans who eat it do not have high levels of cholesterol, probably the combinations of the Cretan nutritional model provide the ideal balance…
Trip Step by Step
- Meeting at the entrance of Anogia village*
- Brief presentation of the cheese production in Crete.
- A short walk in the pasture in the mountains of Psiloritis.
- Visit at a typical shepherd's hut (mitato**) in the heart of Psiloritis mountains and participation in the various stages of cheese making.
- Tasting of different varieties of cheese, comparison, discussion.
- Lunch at a traditional tavern at Anogia village.
Depending on the time availability and the desires of the participants, we will have the possibility for a couple of extra visits to:
- the most significant livestock zone of Crete, the plateau of Nida.
- the world renown archeological cave of Zeus on the plateau of Nida
- the surprising archeological collection of the ancient settlement of Zominthos.
* If not week-end, the meeting and brief presentation will take place in the Information Center of the Psiloritis Natural Park / Geopark of Unesco, at Anogia village.
** The mitata of the highest mountain of Crete, are particularly famous among architects and anthropologist, all over the world. A brief presentation of the construction methods, the use in the past and nowadays and the histories / legends linked to them, will be presented by the shepherd on the spot, while walking in an easy path that passes from a series of these amazing human creations.
- Starting from 75 Euros per person (in a group of 12 people)
- Note: THIS TRIP IS A PRIVATE EXCURSION
- Child under 6 years old free of charge.
- Child 6 - 12 years old 15 % discount.
- Discount is not valid if the participants are only 2.
** Counting that you come to the meeting point with your own car.
- Guiding by a specialist in cheese making and food quality (English speaking) and a shepherd (Greek speaking)
- A manual in English for each traveler (with references, texts, photos, maps etc)
- Rich picnic in nature and cheese tasting experience
- A full meal at a traditional tavern at Anogia village with typical local food.
- Everything described above
- Transport from your accommodation to the sites proposed and back to the hotel (upon request with extra cost).
- Translator (upon request with an extra cost)
- Entrance fees to museums and organized archeological sites
- Travel Insurance (upon request with an extra cost)
- Beverage (soft drinks)
- Personal expenses, tips
- Anything not mentioned above
In the heart of the Natural Park of Psiloritis / Geopartk of Unesco
Note: For other languages, possibility to have a translator, with a supplement.
- Necessary personal equipment: Sunscreen oil, hat, sunglasses, If you chose the trekking, don't forget: Shoes for walking - trekking, Small rucksack with your personal items
- PLEASE INFORM US of any dietary needs/particularities you might have (allergies, intolerances) or other health issues we have to take into consideration. Many thanks.
For more info and reservations please contact us: email@example.com
Hi Yiannis, Our activity (Amalthia-Making Cretan Cheese In The Heart Of Psiloritis Natural Park ) was awesome! Penelope is an amazing guide, and any traveler to Crete will be lucky to have her as their teacher. The whole event exceeded my exceptions and was one of the highlights of our trip. Thank you so much for checking in!
The reviews for the Amalthia-Making Cretan Cheese In The Heart Of Psiloritis Natural Park