description Book now
Amalthia-Making Cretan Cheese in the heart of Psiloritis Natural Park in Rethymno Region, Crete.
- Small Group
- Full Day
- Gastronomy (Wine Tastings & Cooking Workshops)
- History & Culture
- Trekking & Hiking
- Jeep Safari Tours
- Cretan Villages
A fascinating tour in the world of traditional Cretan cheese; the famous livestock product of the most mountainous island in the Mediterranean.
A shepherd and a specialist in food quality are going to help us to experience and learn the most of this great tour on the Cretan mainland.
We will walk to easy paths that pass through pastures where livestock is practiced nowadays and will enjoy a full tasting experience based on dairy products.
Crete leads the world in cheese consumption and Cretans love cheese rather than milk. Many dishes of the traditional Cretan cuisine are based on local dairy products. However cheese is eaten in Crete alone throughout the day, and Cretan Graviera topped with honey is Cretan's favorite breakfast or supper.
The taste of the Cretan cheeses (graviera, kefalograviera, kefalotiri, sweet or sour mizithra, athotiros, staka, stakovoutiro, pichtogalo Chanion, xinogalo ) and the rest of the dairy products is unsurpassed!
An important source of proteins of high biological quality, cheese plays a central role in the Cretan diet. It is said to be a source of saturated fats but the Cretans who eat it do not have high levels of cholesterol, probably the combinations of the Cretan nutritional model provide the ideal balance…
Trip Step by Step
- In the weekdays, the program starts at the Information Center of the Psiloritis Natural Park - Geopark of Unesco, about which there will be a small presentation. In the weekends the starting and meeting point will be a traditional taverna at village of Anogia.
- Brief presentation of the cheese production in Crete.
- Visit a typical shepherd's hut (mitato) in the heart of Psiloritis mountains and participation in the various stages of cheese making.
- Light lunch in nature and tasting of different types of cheese.
- A short walk in the pasture in the mountains of Psiloritis.
- Back to the village and early dinner in a traditional tavern.
- Depending on time availability and the desires of the participants, we will have the possibility for a couple of extra visits to:
- the most significal livestock zone of Crete, the plateau of Nida.
- the world renown archaeological cave of Zeus on the plateau of Nida.
- the surprising archeological collection of the ancient settlement of Zominthos.
* If not week-end, the meeting and brief presentation will take place in the Information Center of the Psiloritis Natural Park / Geopark of Unesco, at Anogia village.
** The mitata of the highest mountain of Crete, are particularly famous among architects and anthropologists, all over the world. A brief presentation of the construction methods, the use in the past and nowadays, and the histories/legends linked to them, will be presented by the shepherd on the spot while walking in an easy path that passes from a series of these amazing human creations.
- Starting from 75 Euros per person (in a group of 12 people)
- Note: THIS TRIP IS A PRIVATE EXCURSION
- Child under 6 years old free of charge.
- Child 6 - 12 years old 15 % discount.
- Discount is not valid if the participants are only 2.
** Counting that you come to the meeting point with your own car.
- Experienced food technology expert
- A local shepherd will be present for the preparation of cheese
- Thematic booklet
- Light lunch in nature
- Early dinner in a traditional tavern
- Water (1 lt)
- Third-Party Liability
- Transport from/to your accommodation (upon request)
- Personal Accident Insurance (upon request)
- Beverages and drinks
- Personal expenses & tips
- Anything not mentioned above
In the heart of the Natural Park of Psiloritis / Geopark of Unesco
Note: For other languages, possibility to have a translator, with a supplement
- This trip is a private excursion.
- If you choose the trekking routes: Children can participate from the age of 12, given they have a relative trekking experience.
- Necessary personal equipment: Sunscreen oil, Hat, Sunglasses │ Walking or trekking shoes│ Small rucksack with your personal items │Walking poles (available upon request, depending on availability)
- (!) Please inform us of any dietary needs/particularities you might have (allergies, intolerances) or other health issues we have to take into consideration.
The reviews for the Amalthia-Making Cretan Cheese In The Heart Of Psiloritis Natural Park
Reviews ( 1 )
Hi Yiannis, Our activity (Amalthia-Making Cretan Cheese In The Heart Of Psiloritis Natural Park ) was awesome! Penelope is an amazing guide, and any traveler to Crete will be lucky to have her as their teacher. The whole event exceeded my exceptions and was one of the highlights of our trip. Thank you so much for checking in!