description Book now
What a magical world we live in ... and you have the chance to discover it!
- Full Day
- History & Culture
- Trekking & Hiking
- Cretan Villages
Join us for a semi-private tour for up to 6 or 8 persons per vehicle and discover the national park of Samaria and the impressive White Mountains (or Lefka Ori).
The Samaria Gorge is the acknowledged natural site and symbol of the island of Crete. It holds a unique and distinguished position in Cretan, Greek and Mediterranean history, as a place that has served throughout history as an ark for life and a haven of freedom. It is also identified with the unceasing production of the material and immaterial cultural heritage of Crete through the ages.
The Lefka Ori (White Mountains), the largest and westernmost mountain range of Crete, dominate the southwest part of the island, covering almost 7% of the total surface. More than 50 peaks of the impressive mountain range exceed 2,000 meters in altitude, while the highest, Pachnes, reaches a height of 2,453 meters above the Libyan Sea to the south and the Sea of Crete to the north of the island. The island of Crete is, justifiably, called land of gorges, being cut by dozens, mainly running north to south. No other gorge, however, has the glamour and uniqueness of the Samaria Gorge.
The Lefka Ori and the gorges that intersect them are a paradise for biodiversity and form a landscape of unique geological value and beauty.
Our day starts from Chania moving south to reach the big orange valley. In a few minutes, we will be inside the valley moving southwest through orange trees and farming areas, full of aromas and tastes. Crossing the valley we will encounter the villages of Varipetros, Agia, Alikianos, Fournes and start climbing on altitude through an off-road route, with dense vegetation and the best panoramic view of Chania, we reach Lakoi village for our coffee break.
Reaching an altitude of 1000m our adrenaline will raise while we continue our off-road route through the heart of the White Mountains, crossing the unknown shepherd's paths, filling ourselves with the fresh air and magical scenery of the wild vegetation, livestock, and breathtaking landscapes.
At the end of our adventure route, we will reach the Kallergi Refuge at 1680m altitude above sea level. The view just above Samaria Gorge is unique. Looking towards the south you will get a glimpse of the Libyan Sea and the highest tops of the White Mountains surrounding you.
Reaching Omalos Plateau we stop for lunch with local platters in a traditional Cretan tavern.
After lunch, as we follow the way back we pass by the beautiful and historical village of Lakkoi, where we stop for some photos and information about the village and then we continue our route back to Chania filled with the essence of Crete.
*Please note that during winter (December-March) the Kallergi refuge may be inaccessible due to dense snow. In that case, we reach Xiloskalo (the entrance of Samaria Gorge) and then we follow alternative off-road routes through mountains and villages.
**Please note that from December to March we travel with snow in the mountains and the route may be altered according to weather conditions…
Whole Year-Round: Daily On Request
- 95.00€Adults Aged 13-up
- 75.00€Children aged 12 and below
The prices are for group participation with a minimum of 4 pax to start.
- Free hotel pick up and drop off
- Private premium off-road vehicles (7 or 9 seaters) driven by multilingual escort-drivers
- Coffee and lunch with traditional Cretan platters
- A visit to Kallergi Refuge
- Liability Insurance and local taxes
- Coffee or beers or refreshments
7- 8 hours approx.
1100 m up to 1680 m
Pick up times
8:00 Kalives, 8:15 Chania town, 8:15 Kolymvari, 8:30 Golden Beach, 8:40 Agia Marina, 8:45 Platanias, Tour starts at 9:00 am.
- Don’t forget your comfortable shoes, for example, trekking shoes or sandals, camera, sun protection, etc. During spring and autumn, we advise you to bring a jacket.
- The trip is not recommended to people suffering from car sickness, having mobility or kinetic or back problems, pregnant women or for children younger than 7 years old as we don't provide baby seats, or people taller than 195 cm or heavier than 130 kg. Alcohol consumption is not allowed to minors under the age of 18 years old. Our partner reserves the right to make minor changes in the program when considered necessary, for example, in case of unfavorable weather conditions. This can be done without any prior notice.
- If the tour is canceled due to an insufficient number of participants or adverse weather conditions, we will refund 100% of made payments.
The trip is ideal for everyone who's looking for an experience beyond the ordinary, for example, youth groups, single or couple participants, families with older children, and companies.
The trip has guided stops every 30-40 minutes, for everyone's convenience.
When meals are included, our partner can arrange vegetarian alternatives, but the information is required upon reservation. This also counts for any kind of food allergies, in order to find suitable alternatives if possible.
Travelers Info: COVID-19
Being always concerned about our guests and staff's wellbeing and having as a priority your health and safety, we remain committed to our premium standards, fully complied with all necessary measures set by the Government. Always ready to welcome you, we act with responsibility. We stay up to date following the guidelines set by The World Health Organisation and the National Public Health Organisation. We know that your holidays with family and friends are very important to you, so we are here to make sure you can relax, enjoy and dream the way you want to.
Before Your Tour:
- We recommend that you should be at the pick-up area (your hotel or another indicated point nearby your hotel) 10 minutes prior to your pick up time. Our driver/escort will be on time to welcome you and show your seat, in order to keep social distancing guidelines.
- Our vehicles are filled up according to governmental covid-19 law of their capacity. Those governmental laws and regulations against covid-19 infections might change, but are strictly followed at all times.
- The body temperature and wellness of all those participating in the tour (escort, driver, staff and guests) will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or other symptoms.
- Please follow all the instructions given to you by your guide.
- Sanitizing dispensers are available for each vehicle.
During Your Tour:
- Everybody that is taking part in the tour (escort, driver, guests, etc...) will wear a face mask throughout its duration as long as it is required by law.
- Sealed lunch boxes will be given on some of our day tours. On day tours which include meals served at restaurants, those will be provided only at restaurants following all the applicable hygiene protocols.
Enhanced Vehicle Cleaning:
- The average cleaning effort in all vehicles is doubled both during the day and after the end of each tour.
- All sensitive touch areas such as seats, armrests, sidewalls, etc. are intensively cleaned and sanitized daily before and after each tour.
Air Circulation On Board:
Our vehicles are equipped with A/C (and when used, the internal air circulation is turned to OFF) but as our safari tours are mainly operated in countryside we strongly recommend the tours to be conducted with open windows for continuous fresh air circulation and to feel the freshness of the countryside.
Our staff is trained in the latest hygiene protocols and cleaning procedures. They use personal protective equipment (face masks/shields and optional gloves) to ensure a safe travel experience for you and yourself.
Greece is well known for its long history and unique hospitality throughout the centuries. We remain confident that our services are of high value and will provide the most memorable experience in Greece to you, your family, or friends. We are looking forward to escaping the ordinary with you!
The reviews for the Semi-Private Tour to the White Mountains & Samaria Gorge from Above