description Book now
Rustic Hinterland - Explore Apokoronas Region, a private tour to explore the province of Apokoronas in Chania ...
- Small Group
- Full Day
- Gastronomy (Wine Tastings & Cooking Workshops)
- History & Culture
- Trekking & Hiking
- Cretan Villages
... where villages preserve a special color and life continues in a traditional way, learning about the cheese tradition, tasting some great organic Cretan wine, and enjoying a delicious rustic light lunch.
The region offers spots of great natural beauty and interesting drives off of the main highway.
We will first stop at the village of Vamos for a walk around its old neighborhood, where we will enjoy a coffee at a typical ‘kafenion’.
We will then head further inland to visit the studio and home of a known local ceramicist. Featured many times in Greek and international press, it is an excellent example of traditional architecture, renovated in perfect harmony with the surrounding countryside. The artist’s studio was built in keeping with the traditional style of the main house. This studio, where the artist creates his unique ceramics, has over the last few years become, a learning workshop for people interested in ceramic art.
Continuing our scenic drive along the foothills of the White Mountains, our next stop will be to a local cheesemaker, where we will learn about the cheese-making tradition of the island and taste his artisanal products.
We will then reach a charming winery and will be guided around its premises and cellars. We will learn about the indigenous grape varieties and how the international ones are expressed on Cretan terroir, meet a passionate winemaker family and learn about the uprising of viniculture and vinification on the island, before enjoying a delicious rustic light lunch.
Late afternoon return to your hotel.
+/- 5 ½ hrs
Suggested start time
- Drive from Rethymnon to Vamos 45min
- Stroll and treat in Vamos village 45min
- Drive to Paidohori and visit to ceramist’s studio 1 hr
- Visit local cheese maker 45min
- Drive to the winery 15min
- Winery tour, tasting & light lunch 1 hr 15min
- Drive back to Rethymnon 30min
Prices per tour
- 505.00 Euros for 2 people
- 550.00 Euros for 3-4 people
- 585.00 Euros for 5-6 people
- 645.00 Euros for 7-8 people
- Private transportation with luxury van/minibus
- English speaking guide
- Stop for coffee at a typical Cretan ‘kafenion’
- Cheese tasting
- Wine tasting
- Light lunch
You can upgrade to a special wine lunch, paired with the estate’s wines at a supplement of 30€ per person
You can include a hands-on cooking part and a full lunch at the winery, at a 50€ per person supplement.
The tour would then be a 7 hrs one, with an earlier pick up at 09:00 am
- 08 days or more prior to tour: no penalty
- 07-03 days: 100 €
- 02 days or less: full charge
The reviews for the Rustic Hinterland - Explore Apokoronas Region