description Book now
Rustic Hinterland - Explore Apokoronas Region, a private tour to explore the province of Apokoronas in Chania ...
- Small Group
- Full Day
- Gastronomy (Wine Tastings & Cooking Workshops)
- History & Culture
- Trekking & Hiking
- Cretan Villages
- Wildlife & Nature
... where villages preserve a special color and life continues in a traditional way, learning about the cheese tradition, tasting some great organic Cretan wine, and enjoying a delicious rustic light lunch.
The region offers spots of great natural beauty and interesting drives off of the main highway.
A unique experience to enjoy panoramic landscape-sea views and traditional small picturesque Cretan villages in one of the most amazing areas of Western Crete, “Apokoronas” in a small group of 6-8 people in each vehicle.
Learn about the history and the traditions of Crete by visiting the villages, speaking and hanging out with locals, and tasting local, delicious and healthy dishes, a great way to feel the famous Cretan hospitality.
Our day begins with a stop in the village of Vrysses close to the riverside and under magnificent plane trees.
We continue our tour around the traditional villages of Nipos, Tzitzifes and Fres for a coffee break ... Greek coffee is highly recommended.
Then we will head and visit the temple of Virgin Mary (Panagia) of Two Rocks. Once a rock detached from the mountain and rolled down the slope. On the top of the rock, the church of Panagia was built. Adjacent there, is another rock, both forming an impressive scenery.
Our amazing off-road adventure begins after climbing up the White Mountains (Lefka Ori) and passing through villages of Pemonia and Melidoni which are set at the foothill of White Mountains.
On the way up to the shepherd’s hut called “Mitato” we will enjoy the magnificent panoramic view of Northern coast of Crete and if we are lucky, eagles might appear and wild goats could stop for us to take some photos. A bumpy rocky road will lead us up to our trip’s highest point of 1300 meters altitude, where you will find out all about the lifestyle of a shepherd and explore his original "Mitato".
On our way down to the villages, we will have a stop in Armenoi village for lunch with Cretan delicacies platters.
Fully refreshed we then continue our tour, following an easy asphalt route back to your hotels.
Daily Whole Year-Round: Daily on Request
Pick up times
8:15 Kolymvari, 8:30 Platanias, 8:35 Agia Marina, 8:50 Chania, 9:10 Kalives, 9:30 Almirida, 10:00 Georgioupoli, 10:05 Kavros
Prices per tour
- 95.00€ Adults Aged 13-up
- 75.00€ Children aged 12 and below
The prices are for group participation with a minimum of 4 pax to start.
- Free hotel pick up and drop off
- Premium offroad vehicles (7 or 9 seated) driven by multilingual escort-drivers
- Cretan Villages tour in Apokoronas area
- A visit to an original shepherd’s hut “Mitato”
- Coffee or tea and lunch with traditional Cretan platters
- Liability Insurance and Local Taxes
7-8 hours approx.
- Don’t forget your face masks, comfortable shoes, for example, trekking shoes or sandals, camera, sun protection, etc. During spring and autumn, we advise you to bring a jacket.
- The trip is not recommended to people suffering from car sickness, having mobility or kinetic or back problems, pregnant women or for children younger than 7 years old as we don't provide baby seats, or people taller than 195 cm or heavier than 130 kg. Alcohol consumption is not allowed to minors under the age of 18 years old. Our partner reserves the right to make minor changes in the program when considered necessary, for example, in case of unfavorable weather conditions. This can be done without any prior notice.
- If the tour is canceled due to an insufficient number of participants or adverse weather conditions, we will refund 100% of made payments.
The trip is ideal for everyone who's looking for an experience beyond the ordinary, for example, youth groups, single or couple participants, families with older children, and companies.
The trip has guided stops every 30-40 minutes, for everyone's convenience.
When meals are included, our partner can arrange vegetarian alternatives, but the information is required upon reservation. This also counts for any kind of food allergies, in order to find suitable alternatives if possible.
Travelers Info: COVID-19
Being always concerned about our guests and staff's wellbeing and having as a priority your health and safety, we remain committed to our premium standards, fully complied with all necessary measures set by the Government. Always ready to welcome you, we act with responsibility. We stay up to date following the guidelines set by The World Health Organisation and the National Public Health Organisation. We know that your holidays with family and friends are very important to you, so we are here to make sure you can relax, enjoy and dream the way you want to.
Before Your Tour:
- We recommend that you should be at the pick-up area (your hotel or another indicated point nearby your hotel) 10 minutes prior to your pick up time. Our driver/escort will be on time to welcome you and show your seat, in order to keep social distancing guidelines.
- Our vehicles are filled up according to governmental covid-19 law of their capacity. Those governmental laws and regulations against covid-19 infections might change, but are strictly followed at all times.
- The body temperature and wellness of all those participating in the tour (escort, driver, staff and guests) will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or other symptoms.
- Please follow all the instructions given to you by your guide.
- Sanitizing dispensers are available for each vehicle.
During Your Tour:
- Everybody that is taking part in the tour (escort, driver, guests, etc...) will wear a face mask throughout its duration as long as it is required by law.
- Sealed lunch boxes will be given on some of our day tours. On day tours which include meals served at restaurants, those will be provided only at restaurants following all the applicable hygiene protocols.
Enhanced Vehicle Cleaning:
- The average cleaning effort in all vehicles is doubled both during the day and after the end of each tour.
- All sensitive touch areas such as seats, armrests, sidewalls, etc. are intensively cleaned and sanitized daily before and after each tour.
Air Circulation On Board:
Our vehicles are equipped with A/C (and when used, the internal air circulation is turned to OFF) but as our safari tours are mainly operated in countryside we strongly recommend the tours to be conducted with open windows for continuous fresh air circulation and to feel the freshness of the countryside.
Our staff is trained in the latest hygiene protocols and cleaning procedures. They use personal protective equipment (face masks/shields and optional gloves) to ensure a safe travel experience for you and yourself.
Greece is well known for its long history and unique hospitality throughout the centuries. We remain confident that our services are of high value and will provide the most memorable experience in Greece to you, your family, or friends. We are looking forward to escaping the ordinary with you!
The reviews for the Rustic Hinterland - Explore Apokoronas Region