description Book now
Would you like to spend your day by visiting two of the most beautiful and historic monasteries in Chania region?
- Full Day
- History & Culture
- Trekking & Hiking
- Cretan Villages
What about combining it with a scenic walk and a cool-off swim?
Then this is the right tour for you and we look forward to welcoming you for a unique experience in the Chania region of Crete!
- Your local guide will meet you at your preferred location within the Chania town region. Your private day trip will start by heading towards the peninsula of Akrotiri. We will first visit the Gouverneto monastery, one of the oldest monasteries in Crete that looks like a Venetian fortress. Marvel at its magnificent architecture, its church with artifacts and woodcrafts before we start the descending trek.
- Walking down the footpath from Gouveneto monastery through the Avlaki Gorge, in a wild and beautiful landscape, we will come across the ruined Katholiko Monastery and the cave of St John the Hermit. Please note that this is an easy 40 min descending path that we will have to walk up again (it is more demanding on the way up).
- Our next destination is the Agia Triada monastery, built in the 17th century with Byzantine-style architecture on the orders of a Venetian family. It has exceptionally beautiful gardens and in its museum, you can admire important religious icons and a rich collection of codices. The monastery continues to operate today and its monks are engaged in the production of wine and olive oil that you are very welcome to try and buy if you wish.
- Going through local fields with plantations we will next reach the beach where you will have plenty of time to enjoy a swim. Stavros beach offers sunbeds and umbrella amenities and it is generally sheltered from the wind, therefore, making it perfect for swimming and especially safe for children. The contrast of the wild mountain with the peaceful beach in the foreground makes Stavros a unique place for swimming.
- This tour would not be complete without a delicious lunch in a traditional taverna in the fishing village of Stavros savoring Cretan local recipes.
- At the end of your tour, our mission will be accomplished – you will leave with enjoyable memories and a much better understanding of the Cretan lifestyle, religion, and nature.
- PLEASE NOTE: As this tour involves walking, comfortable walking shoes are recommended, please do not forget your sunglasses, towel, swimming suit, and sun hat.
- 1 adult – 350 euros per person
- 2 adults – 185 euros per person
- 3 adults – 140 euros per person
- 4 & 5 adults – 120 euros per person
- 6 & 7 adults – 110 euros per person
infants 0-3.99 years old – free of charge
children 4-12 years old – 35 euros per child
Persons per private tour: min 2 adults – max 7 persons
Total duration: 8 hours
- personal pick up and drop off with flexible start time
- private sightseeing tour with a local insider guide
- transfers with a fully airconditioned car/van
- entrance tickets to the monasteries
- traditional Cretan lunch (including drinks)
- all taxes
- personal expenses
Place & Time of departure
Chania center at 08.30 am (flexible time) or from your hotel - please indicate your pick up point when booking
( for pick up points 15km+ away from Chania's center, an additional fee will be charged)
Booking terms - Payment terms
- All excursions are available upon request.
- Booking at least 2 days in advance is necessary.
- Up to 2 days prior to the excursion’s date - no cancellation fees
- Less than 2 days prior to the excursion’s date - 100% cancellation fee
The reviews for the The Monasteries Experience in Chania Crete