- Almyros Beach, is one of the most famous awarded sandy beaches in the area, with shallow and calm waters. Very well organized, with beach bars, umbrellas sunbeds, and watersports facilities, and you are so close, just step 30 meters down from your private villa, cross the little wooden bridge over the Almyros river shaped in the south part of the beach and access direct its crystal waters.
- Agios Nikolaos itself provides all the shops from clothes and gifts to news, book and paraphernalia shops to cafes, attractive bars above and around the "lake" and harbor to a range of restaurants covering many tastes.
Enjoy an amazing cruise and explore every bit of the Kolokytha’s gulfs. You will dive into the crystal clear water of Mirabello Bay, rest in the golden beach, visit Spinalonga Island and swim to the unique pebbled seashore of the picturesque village of Plaka.
- Or an alternative option could be a Sea Kayak exploration of this unique, great place.
- Explore and you can visit villages on the road to Sitia - one of the most scenic coastal roads anywhere. The fine monastery of Toplou beyond Sitia merits a visit....perhaps with a pause in Sitia itself. In the other direction pass through Elounda and carry on to Plaka for fresh fish at the water's edge, with the Pasolini-esque view of Spinalonga island opposite.
- Explore the traditional Cretan villages of Kritza and Mochlos and enjoy a lovely lunch as both are famous for this. At Kritsa Village a worth visit is the archaeological site of the ancient city of Lato one of Crete's few non-Minoan ancient sties. And why not ... here at Kritsa Village, you can order a pair of Cretan boots for postal delivery at Detorakis one of the best shoemakers.
- From Kritsa it is a 16km climb up to the spectacular Katharo Plateau, which is cultivated by people from Kritsa, some of whom have homes here.
- The area around Elounda offers excellent diving ... or Snorkeling in some ruins of the sunken ancient city of Olous, remaining in the sea.
- A list of Top 10 Must-See Attractions:
Archaeological Museum of Aghios Nikolaos
With beautiful antiquities from the Minoan Civilization and the Palace of Zarkos east Crete.
Byzantine Church of Aghios Nikolaos
The oldest Byzantine Church in Crete 7th century with beautiful frescoes at the entrance of the Hotel.
Village of Kritsa and “Panagia Kera”
Byzantine church. A very beautiful untouched village only 10 km from Aghios Nikolaos. The famous church of Virgin Mary with unique architecture and beautiful frescoes and old icons.
The Plateau of Lassithi
The mountain of Lassithi and the Plateau of the Wind Mills with the cave “Diktaion Andron” where Zeus, King of Olympic Gods, was born.
Spinaloga island with the Venetian Castle
A beautiful excursion by boat in Mirabello Bay.
Kri – Kri Island
Just across the bay 2 miles from the Hotel. A natural reserve of the rare wild Cretan goat Kri – Kri.
The ruins of the Minoan Palace of Malia
The ruins of the Minoan Palace of Malia and the excavation site.
The Byzantine Monastery of Toplou
The Byzantine Monastery of Toplou nearby Sitia Town with a famous icon collection unique in the world. Producer of excellent wine, Virgin Olive Oil, and Cretan Raki.
The Knossos Palace
Home of the legendary King Minos with the Labyrinth and the King’s treasures at the Archaeological Museum of Heraklion. A unique collection of frescoes, paintings, jewelry of the Minoan civilization 2000b.c.
The Beaches of Vai (palm beach) and Palaikastro
Both were awarded by the European Union among the 100 best beaches in the world.
About 3km north of Vai is the ancient Minoan site of Itanos, It may appear fairly desolate today, but this was an important site.
- Customs & Festivals
- The “Lato” summer cultural events, the festival of Agios Nikolaos on December the 6th, as well as the Resurrection and the burning of Judas on stage in the center of the lake in Agios Nikolaos.
- The Resurrection at Toplou Monastery in Vai.
- The summer cultural events and the Free – Fish Night in October at Elounda.
- The festival of the Metamorphosis on August the 6th in Zakros.
- The cultural events “Kirbia” in July or August, and the traditional festivals on August 15th in Ierapetra.
- Three – day cultural events in August, the liturgy at the church of Kera on August 15th, and the festival of Metamorphosis on August the 6th in Kritsa.
- The festival of Panagia on August the 15th in Neapolis.
- The cultural association of Tzemiado organizes cultural events throughout the summer season.
- The “Kornaria” cultural events in July or August, the festival of “Soultanina” in August, and the festival of Prophet Elias on July the 20th in Sitia.
- More uplifting activities in East Crete here.
- Check-in: 15.00 pm (Earlier arrival is possible upon availability)
- Check out: 11.00 am (Later departure is possible upon availability)
- Minimum Stay: 5-7 nights, depending on the season
- Payment Policy: Please check here
- Cancellation Policy: Please check here
How To Get There
The Sand Villas is ideally situated in a privileged setting, with spectacular sea views, just a few kilometers outside Agios Nikolaos.
- By Air
From April through October there are direct charter and scheduled flights to Heraklion airport (61km) or Sitia Airport (67.5km) or Chania Airport (207km). Tickets can be bought in advance for almost all flights via our partner website.
- By Sea
The journey is the thing". A superb way of enjoying the journey to Crete is to fly to Athens and take the ferry from Piraeus (Pireas) - the port serving Athens. A still-romantic way to travel by the overnight ferry from Piraeus to Heraklion Port (68km from the Hotel). Tickets can be bought in advance for all ferries via our partner website.
- By Car
If you want to explore the region while you're here, we recommend that you rent a car, other means of transport are limited and/or infrequent. We suggest our sister website Crete-Car-Rental.com, which offers competitive prices and you can collect your car at either airport.
- By Taxi
Book your taxi transfer online easily and safely from the airport or port to any location via our partner website.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through CreteTravel.com
- Dining: Fully equipped kitchens in order to prepare your own healthy and delicious meals
- Smoking: Smoking & Vaping is not permitted inside the villa but only outside
- Spa Retreatments: Provided upon request ( Yoga sessions, aqua aerobics, massage treatments, hairdresser & make up services)
- Concierge desk for car hire, excursions, exchange, and all kinds of business and social arrangements
- Changeover day: Flexible upon request
- Disabled Access: There are 4 deluxe rooms that are specially designed and equipped for guests with disabilities. The guests with the funiculars can have access to all departments of the resort, apart from the beach area.
- Pets: Not allowed
- Languages Spoken: Greek, English
- Parking: Complimentary parking
- Upon request (extra charge): Boat cruises, bicycle renting, doctor on call, private training, tennis)