... and within 15 minutes walk of small-town centre (three minutes drive).
Paleochora Village is a finger of land juts into the Libyan sea, sporting a pebble and rock beach to the east and extensive sandy beach on its west side.
Libyan Mare Hotel & Suites, a bright, small, pleasant, quiet, luxury place with spectacular sea views, an excellent large pool, great for children, near Palechora's sandy beach and within 15 minutes walk of small-town center (three minutes drive).
This is a feel-good small complex, newly built and made entirely by stone, with just four suites, kind and caring owners, well-maintained and thoughtfully grounds and beach across the road, short walk to town with lots of great restaurants and cafes ... this place is astonishingly good value.
It is very peaceful and private, with wonderful views over the Libyan Sea and towards the mountains.
The hotel is surrounded by beautiful lush gardens and has a lovely pool area with ample sun loungers and tables and chairs scattered under shady trees. The gardens are lovingly maintained by the owners’ mother.
Four spacious suites and four Studios tastefully furnished, accommodate up to 5 people, with modern elegant furnishings in light colors, big balconies with stunning sea views, promises you a pleasant stay. Each suite also has a designated garden table and chairs under its olive tree.
The nude beach is just down the road. The regular sandy beach of Paleochora is 500 meters away, also you can also find supermarkets and restaurants, art galleries, cafe shops right in town 10 minutes walk.
A 10-minute walk from the center of this quiet and picturesque village makes this very convenient.
Paleochora is a finger of land juts into the Libyan sea, sporting a pebble and rock beach to the east and extensive sandy beach on its west side. Wonderful cafes with individual styles and atmosphere; to a vegetarian restaurant or one late afternoon perch with an eagle's eye view across the beach, to the numerous tavernas.
A cool cafe at the Kasarma fortress offers views across Paleochora. Proximity to some pleasant mountain villages and relative closeness for a trip to Elafonisi Beach. A friendly place to be. Also, a point to set sail to the southernmost island of Gavdos from, go whale or dolphin watching.
Walking and hiking in South Chania is by far one of the best activities to do when in Paleochora, your ideal place to stay in your walking and hiking holidays. There are numerous trails all over the area with a large variety, regarding both natural surroundings and level of difficulty but maybe the highlights are the numerous gorges that have been carved in the mountains by the rivers and streams through the centuries.
In fact, South Chania is also known as “the area of gorges” with plenty of picturesque gorges even for the most experienced hikers.
If you're looking for a quiet but very civilized place to stay in this wonderfully unspoiled town, this could be the place for you.
Why We Like It
- If you're looking for a quiet but very civilized place to stay in this wonderfully unspoiled town, this could be the place for you.
- Paleochora a lovely and friendly place to be with proximity to some pleasant mountain villages and relative closeness for a trip to Elafonisos and other great beaches. Also, a point to set sail to the southernmost island of Gavdos from, go whale or dolphin watching.
- Walkers and those who just want to escape from it all will love Libyan Mare Hotel.
Good to know
- You need to rent a car as other means of transport are limited and/or infrequent.
- Libyan Mare Hotel is about a 15-minute walk from town on an unlit road so it's best to bring a torch, or use Paleochora Taxis (only five euros for a single trip to/from the center). You can also walk along the beach.
- Please note that Studios on the ground floor do have partial sea views. We would suggest a higher floor to appreciate the views.
- There are no catering facilities or bar at this hotel, the nearest supermarket is in Paleochora.
The Rooms & Suites
Four spacious suites tastefully furnished, accommodate up to 6 people, with modern elegant furnishings in light colors, big balconies with stunning sea views, promises you a pleasant stay. Each suite also has a designated garden table and chairs under its olive tree.
- Four Studios ( 30 m² up to 2 people), on the ground floor offering a furnished balcony with partial sea and garden view, this air-conditioned studio has a seating area with flat-screen, satellite TV. It features a kitchenette with a mini-fridge. Free WiFi is provided.
- Antigoni ( 80m2 - up to 4 people ), a spacious one-floor suite with two separate rooms with modern elegant furnishings in light colors. The lounge area features the living room with a sofa that can easily be converted into a double bed, kitchen and a bathroom with a shower cabin. The bedroom comes with a king-size bed. Two balconies with stunning sea views.
- Ariadne Suite (85m2 - up to 4 people) is a split level, generously spaced and luxuriously suite, furnished with pure and natural colors. The ground level features all the comforts of home including, the living room, kitchen, a king-size bed, and a shower cabin. The upstairs bedroom features another king-size bed and an amazing shower cabin made entirely by the glass. Two balconies offer magnificent sea views.
- Aphrodite Suite (85m2 - up to 4 people) is a split-level suite with a king-size bed or twin bedded on each, with two balconies with astonishing views of the Libyan sea. The suite features a fully equipped kitchen and modern facilities as satellite channels and a large Smart TV. Air-conditioning on both floors.
- Erato Master Suite (110 m2 - 3 Bedrooms - up to 6 people) is generously spaced and luxuriously furnished with bright and soft colors, promising you dreamy holidays. It is a split level spacious suite with 3 separate rooms. The ground floor features the living room with a sofa which can easily be converted into a double bed, kitchen, and a bathroom with a shower cabin. Also, on the ground floor, there are two bedrooms with a king-size bed. The third bedroom is on the upper floor. This suite comes with four balconies with amazing sea views.
With a just fifteen-minute walk from the center of Paleochora's Village your lunch or dinner is as a walk to mum's home.
Paleochora has some good local restaurants, taverns and the olive oil produced in this region is among the best in Crete. A few of the huge choice of friendly, well-priced tavernas.
Aposperida at the northern end of the main street with a quite Cretan variety of dishes, Grameno, just 5 minutes drive outside Paleochora towards Koundouri, offering authentic Cretan dishes, Rena’s Garden a small friendly place of the main street and Caravell which has good fresh fish and of course the Third Eye Crete's only vegetarian restaurant.
The village of Anydri ( 5km northeast of Paleochora) is a popular destination for walkers ... but for its excellent "Kafeneio To Scholio" as well, a converted school, offers spectacular views of the gorge of Anhydrous and the Libyan Sea and some delicious variety of homemade, Mediterranean dishes, with key components of their own production.
There is a good family-owned supermarket with fresh fruit and vegetable on the western beach, and an excellent bakery/patisserie just above the harbor.
All the children are welcome at Libyan Mare Hotel and absolutely they would love the big swimming pool.
Erato Family Master Suite can accommodate up to 6 people ( a bigger family).
- Paleochora itself offers an extensive sandy beach, windsurfing, whale watching trips, dolphin spotting excursions, bird watching - a lot of raptors and songbirds.
- Walk a circuit route from Paleochora to Anydri via the gorge to return along the coast. And don't miss swimming during your return at Gialiskari Beach at the end of the gorge. The nicest stretch is the beach with coarse sand at the eastern end, left of the Kantina. The small but impressive gorge of Anydri is located east of Paleochora and collects the water from the area of Asfendiles and Ancient Hyrtakina, through the stream Dichalomata. It starts from the village Anidri and after a snaky course, about 3km long, between high cliffs it concludes at the beautiful beach Gialiskari.
- There is a select collection of more than 10 beaches with crystal clear water around Paleochora, some of which are among the best in South Crete.
There is a diving center in Paleochora.
- You could use the ferry, and hike the famous Samaria Gorge (from Ayia Roumeli) or the quieter Ayia Irini gorge (from Sougia).
- Some other small gorges. Topoliano is one of the most famous gorges in the area starting in the village of Kotsomatsades. The road to Kissamos twists and turns next to the gorge and passes through a small tunnel of the rock on the way to the village. There one can enjoy the refreshing waters, the chestnut trees, the olive trees, the poplar trees, and the beautiful and colorful bougainvilleas. Or maybe the great Kalogirou Gorge, with free and wild nature. The path begins from the village of Agioi (northwest of Paleochora) and ends after 5.0 kilometers at Coundoudiana/Sassalos.
- Or catch the ferry to Sougia, Agia Roumeli and Loutro ... full of surprises.
- Catch the weekly ferry to Gavdos, a remote, and no better place for peace and isolation a marijuana-friendly islet of sand dunes and low cedar trees, which is also Europe’s southernmost point ... don't forget to return.
- Visit the monastery of St John(key to the museum from Alpha taverna)at Azogires the most beautiful village around Paleochora, an eccentric place full of legends involving river nereids in its waterfalls and medieval ascetics who inhabited cave dwellings.
- Or follow the ‘E4’ footpath along the south coast to the magical valley of Lissos, with its ancient temple and healing spring, and catching a ferry back from Sougia (6 hours).
- Are you not so active .... maybe a bit lazy ... using the ferry, hike the famous Samaria Gorge (short way - from Agia Roumeli) or the quieter Ayia Irini gorge (from Sougia).
- A must for most of the people maybe .... drive to the lagoon-like beach at Elafonissi - early, to beat the crowds; and visit the Chrisoskalitissa monastery on your return.
- Or maybe you love nature ... admire the spring flowers – dozens of orchid species, dragon arum, etc.
- Last but not least for romantic nights, the Open-air Cinema – a fantastic experience. Enjoy your drink sitting in the open summer air in an ok seat with a little table Another absolute must. A board in the main street tells you what’s on. The films change nightly. And it’s cheap!
- Find more activities in South Chania.
- Check-in: 14.00 pm
- Check out: 12.00 pm
- Minimum Stay: 2-2 nights, depending on the season.
- Payment Policy:
Credit card details (Visa or MasterCard) are required to charge the deposit (30%) in order to confirm the reservation.
Balance (70%) will be paid 5 days before your arrival date.
No additional charges will be made to the credit card unless cancellation charges have to be applied.
- Cancellation Policy:
Cancelation and modification are allowed 14 days before the arrival date otherwise the whole amount of the reservation will be charged.
How To Get There
Libyan Mare Hotel is located on the west side of this small peninsula at Paleochora small town 78 km from Chania town.
- By Air
From April through October there are direct charter flights to Chania Airport (94km from Paleochora). Tickets can be bought in advance for almost all flights via our partner website.
- By Sea
"The journey is the thing". A superb way of enjoying the journey to Crete is to fly to Athens and take the ferry from Piraeus (Pireas) - the port serving Athens. A still-romantic way to travel by the overnight ferry from Piraeus to Chania-Souda port (78km). Tickets can be bought in advance for all ferries via our partner website.
- By Car
If you want to explore the region while you're here, we recommend that you rent a car, other means of transport are limited and/or infrequent. We suggest our sister website Crete-Car-Rental.com, which offers competitive prices and you can collect your car at either airport.
- By Taxi
Book your taxi transfer online easily and safely from the airport or port to any location via our partner website.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through CreteTravel.com
- Dining: No breakfast is available at Libyan Mare Hotel. You could enjoy your lunch or dinner at the lovely Paleochora by the sea or in the center of the village
- Internet Access: Free WiFi throughout
- Swimming Pool: Dimensions 9m x 6 m and children's pool too
- Spa Treatments: Not available
- Disabled Access: One Suite is specifically constructed for disabled access
- Pets: Pets are not allowed
- Languages Spoken: Greek, English
- Parking: Free public parking is possible on-site