- Paleochora itself offers an extensive sandy beach, windsurfing, whale watching trips, dolphin spotting excursions, bird watching - a lot of raptors and songbirds
- Walk a circuit route from Paleochora to Anydri via the gorge to return along the coast. And don't miss swimming during your return at Gialiskari Beach at the end of the gorge. The nicest stretch is the beach with coarse sand at the eastern end, left of the Kantina.
- You could use the ferry, and hike the famous Samaria Gorge (from Ayia Roumeli) or the quieter Ayia Irini gorge (from Sougia)
- Or catch the ferry to Sougia, Agia Roumeli, and Loutro ... full of surprises
- Catch the weekly ferry to Gavdos, a remote, and no better place for peace and isolation a marijuana-friendly islet of dunes and low cedar trees, which is also Europe’s southernmost point ... don't forget to return.
- Visit the monastery of St John(key to the museum from Alpha taverna)at Azogires the most beautiful village around Paleochora, an eccentric place full of legends involving river nereids in its waterfalls and medieval ascetics who inhabited cave dwellings.
- Or follow the ‘E4’ footpath along the south coast to the magical valley of Lissos, with its ancient temple and healing spring, and catching a ferry back from Sougia (6 hours)
- Are you not so active .... maybe a bit lazy ... using the ferry, hike the famous Samaria Gorge (short way - from Agia Roumeli) or the quieter Ayia Irini gorge (from Souyia)
- A must for most of the people maybe .... drive to the lagoon-like beach at Elafonissi - early, to beat the crowds; and visit the Chrisoskalitissa monastery on your return
- Or maybe you love nature ... admire the spring flowers – dozens of orchid species, dragon arum, etc.
- Last but not least for romantic nights, the Open-air Cinema – a fantastic experience. Enjoy your drink sitting in the open summer air in an ok seat with a little table Another absolute must. A board in the main street tells you what’s on. The films change nightly. And it’s cheap!
- More uplifting activities in South Chania Crete.
- Check-in: 14.00 - 21.00 pm
- Check out: 12.00 pm
- Minimum Stay: 2- 3 nights, depending on the season
- Payment Policy:
Credit card details (Visa or MasterCard) are required to charge the deposit amount in order to confirm the reservation.
No additional charges will be made to the credit card unless cancellation charges have to be applied.
The Balance amount is to be paid directly to On The Rocks Hotel at the time of stay.
Visa, MasterCard, and American Express are accepted by On The Rocks Hotel.
- Cancellation Policy:
Up to 3 weeks before arrival - full refund
From 21 days to 7 days before arrival: 45% of total
From 6 days to 1 day before arrival: 65% of total
Less than 1 day before arrival: 100% of total
No show or early departure: 100% of total
How To Get There
On the Rocks Hotel is located on the left(east) side of this small peninsula at Paleochora small town 78 km from Chania town.
- By Air
From April through October there are direct charter flights to Chania Airport (90 km from Paleochora). Tickets can be bought in advance for almost all flights via our partner website.
- By Sea
"The journey is the thing". A superb way of enjoying the journey to Crete is to fly to Athens and take the ferry from Piraeus (Pireas) - the port serving Athens. A still-romantic way to travel by the overnight ferry from Piraeus to Chania-Souda port (77 km). Tickets can be bought in advance for all ferries via our partner website.
- By Car
If you want to explore the region while you're here, we recommend that you rent a car, other means of transport are limited and/or infrequent. We suggest our sister website Crete-Car-Rental.com, which offers competitive prices and you can collect your car at either airport.
- By Taxi
Book your taxi transfer online easily and safely from the airport or port to any location via our partner website.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through CreteTravel.com
- Dining: A buffet breakfast can be enjoyed by the sea and enjoy your lunch or dinner at the lovely Paleochora by the sea or in the center of the town
- Internet Access: Free WiFi throughout
- Swimming Pool: None
- Spa Treatments: Not available
- Shops: A mini-shop with a variety of presents and accessories
- Disabled Access: Not suitable
- Pets: Pets are not allowed
- Languages Spoken: Greek, English
- Parking: Free public parking is possible off-site