- Porto del Colombo Hotel is in the Old Town of Chania, very close to the old harbor, but away from the noise. Ideal base to explore the whole town with the narrow streets and admire the old buildings with different architectural styles.
- Visit the maritime museum on the west side of the port and walk along with the port till Arsenali where is situated the Arsenali Centre of Mediterranean Architecture that organizes exhibitions and has a primary goal to promote the Mediterranean arts.
- Visit the archaeological museum with finds from around the island – Minoan, Roman, and Hellenistic.
- In Summer, the municipality hosts cultural events around the town, including these in the public gardens and at the open-air theatre on the outskirts of the town walls, which has various music and theatrical performances.
- For wine enthusiasts, pay a visit to one of the most reputable wineries in Crete, Greece. The Manousakis Winery has been producing its 100% organic wines under the brand name Nostos since 1997. The winery is situated just 15 minutes (driving) from the city of Chania in the village of Vatolakkos.
- Swim. The nearest beach is 500m away, Agii Apostgolli Beach is 4 km, and the famous long beach of Agia Marina is 7km away. Or maybe you prefer the enclosed waters of Marathi bay, on the Akrotiri peninsula.
- Also on Akrotiri Peninsula, beyond the airport, there are two very impressive monasteries, inhabited by a few monks and both are opened to appropriately dressed visitors in the morning and late afternoon, Agia Triada or Jakaoron, renowned for its traditions this unique olive oil is produced, and the historic monastery of Gouvernetou the more remote which resembles a castle, with towers which served to defend it from raiders.
- Beyond Gouvernetou lies a wonderful hiking trail to the cliff chapel of Katholikon and an azure-watered inlet below. The aquamarine water would be very inviting for a swim before the climb back up to Gouverneto Monastery if this were not strictly prohibited by the monks.
- If you are looking for more quiet beaches, Falasarna is a very long beach that is located on the west part of the island, 44km from your hotel, What makes this beach so unique, is the length, you can walk along the sandy beach for a lot of time.
- Or drive 2 hours southwest to Elafonisi (try and get there before the afternoon crowds), or 1 hour west the well-known Balos Beach (the latter requires a short hike or a boat from Kastelli).
- Samaria Gorge is the longest gorge in Europe, if you like gorges, walk through this gorge and the experience will be unique. It is a long gorge, 16km, and you need about 6 hours to pass it, which means that it is not allowed to walk the long way if you have any health problem. If you think that 16km is too many, you can see the last part of the gorge. You have to drive to Chora Sfakion and then you take the boat to Agia Roumeli, where is the exit of the gorge, you just have to walk a few kilometers in the gorge, at least till the most narrow point "portes".
- Next to Samaria gorge, there is another gorge, shorter but very beautiful because it is very narrow in some points. This is Imbros Gorge and you need just 2 hours to pass it. You can combine this walk, with swimming in Fragokastelo beach, as it is very close to the exit of the gorge.
- For those who love horse riding, there is a horse riding center in Akrotiri, that organizes daily excursions in that area. You just need to make a reservation.
- Explore Rethymno's Old Town and especially the waterfront and streets just behind. Walk along the harbor wall to the Venetian lighthouse. The Fortezza (fortress) was built by the Venetians (1573) to protect the city. Not only are walls, but the church and the remains of its buildings of interest, the views from it to the town are also a great way to start planning your tour of the town. There are also sweeping sea views. Open daily.
- Don't miss visiting Rethimnon's Archaeological Museum which occupies a building almost directly opposite the entrance to the fortress. It's worth a look especially if you are going to the bigger museums in other towns. Here you could enjoy Minoan pottery and sarcophagi and lots of Roman coins, jewelry, pots, and statues, all from Rethimno province. Take a look at an unusual unfinished Roman statue of Aphrodite.
- Head South from Rethymno to the sandy Palm Beach of Preveli, a sand-filled cove right at the end of the Kourtaliotiko gorge, where a freshwater estuardy feeds a little oasis complete with palm grove and the cluster of oleanders ( at the beginning and the end of the season it is lovely).
- Find more uplifting activities in Chania region.
- Check-in: 14.00 pm
- Check out: 12.00 pm
- Minimum Stay: 2-3 nights, depending on the season.
- Payment Policy: Please check here
- Cancellation Policy: Please check here
How To Get There
Porto del Colombo Hotel is located in the new part of Chania by the Old Town. All the main attractions are easily accessible on foot and the closest beach is about 1km away from here.
- By Air
From May through mid-October there are direct charter flights to Chania (17km f and, more frequently, to the capital Heraklion(145km). Tickets can be bought in advance for almost all flights via our partner website.
- By Sea
The journey is the thing". A superb way of enjoying the journey to Crete is to fly to Athens and take the ferry from Piraeus (Pireas) - the port serving Athens. A still-romantic way to travel by the overnight ferry from Piraeus to Chania-Souda port (8km from the Hotel). Tickets can be bought in advance for all ferries via our partner website.
- By Car
If you want to explore the region while you're here, we recommend that you rent a car, other means of transport are limited and/or infrequent. We suggest our sister website Crete-Car-Rental.com, which offers competitive prices and you can collect your car at either airport.
- By Taxi
Book your taxi transfer online easily and safely from the airport or port to any location via our partner website.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through CreteTravel.com
- Dining: Porto Del Colombo offers continental breakfast at the hotelʼs breakfast room
- Internet Access: Free WiFi throughout & internet corner
- Swimming Pool: Not available.
- Spa Treatments: Not available
- Disabled Access: Not suitable
- Pets: Not allowed.
- Languages Spoken: Greek, English
- Parking: Free public parking at a location nearby
- Good to Know :
All-day free coffee & tea
Free Internet corner & Laptop
Free GPS for your trips
Free use of DVD player (included in room equipment), with a rich collection of movies
Free transfer by cab from and to the Airport (in 7 days - 6 nights - accommodation for the maisonettes)