- Elia Fatma Hanoum Boutique Hotel is in the Old Town of Chania, very close to the old harbor, but away from the noise. Ideal base to explore the whole town with the narrow streets and admire the old buildings with different architectural styles.
- History of Hotel: During the Turkish occupation, the house was owned by a family of a Turkish army officer, Ibrahim Mehmet Aga. He gave the house as a dowry to his very beautiful daughter, Fatma Hanoum. Fatma married Ahmet Bey, a rich landowner, who had fallen madly in love with her. However, Ahmet Bey was informed that his beloved wife was cheating on him with a prominent member of the Turkish-Cretan society. Unable to verify or disprove the story, Ahmet Bey decided to leave Chania and flee with his wife to Istanbul. The story of great but wicked love: a beautiful married woman gives her heart to another man. Just before death, Fatma said: "If I could choose a moment of my life and remain there until eternity, I just want one, the first kiss with the man that I loved more than anyone else in my life, in my house in Chania... ". They say that sometimes you can hear the sound of her tiny slippers, as she never wanted to leave the city where she has been seduced! If you try, you may witness her love ... The Thousand and One Nights is not any imagination nor fiction, but a magnificent dream, surprising and true. Touch the dream and experience the magic of a faraway world, now revealed to you unconditionally. Feelings, emotions, poetry, colors and sounds, scents, balconies, romantic evenings and the sea everywhere create the magic of "the place of your dreams."
- Visit the maritime museum on the west side of the port and walk along with the port till Arsenali where is situated the Arsenali Centre of Mediterranean Architecture that organizes exhibitions and has a primary goal to promote the Mediterranean arts.
- In Summer, the municipality hosts cultural events around the town, including these in the public gardens and at the open-air theatre on the outskirts of the town walls, which has various music and theatrical performances.
- Swim. The nearest beach of Nea Chora is 500m away, Agii Apostgolli Beach is 4 km, and the famous long beach of Agia Marina is 7km away. Or maybe you prefer the enclosed waters of Marathi bay, on the Akrotiri peninsula.
- Also on Akrotiri peninsula, beyond the airport, there are two very impressive monasteries, inhabited by a few monks, and both are opened to appropriately dressed visitors in the morning and late afternoon, Agia Triada or Jakaoron, renowned for its traditions this unique olive oil is produced, and the historic monastery of Gouvernetou the more remote which resembles a castle, with towers which served to defend it from raiders.
- Beyond Gouvernetou lies a wonderful hiking trail to the cliff chapel of Katholikon and an azure-watered inlet below. The aquamarine water would be very inviting for a swim before the climb back up to Gouverneto Monastery if this were not strictly prohibited by the monks.
- If you are looking for more quiet beaches, Falasarna is a very long beach that is located on the west part of the island, 44km from your hotel, What makes this beach so unique, is the length, you can walk along the sandy beach for a lot of time. Or drive 2 hours southwest to Elafonisi (try and get there before the afternoon crowds), or 1 hour west the well-known Balos Beach (the latter requires a short hike or a boat from Kastelli).
- A trip by car (our sister website Crete-Car-Rental.com) I would suggest: To "Therissos" - you drive through a beautiful gorge. The village itself is historic and has some good tavernas like "Andartis". But if you have time, you can continue further to Zourva and come down to Chania again via Meskla. This is a spectacular drive (if the atmosphere is clear and not too hazy), marked on some maps as unpaved - but it is now paved. Just after Zourva, there is a taverna on its own with glass windows with 360 views and good local food.
- Join the fascinating cooking workshops at Miia Traditional Village, a great introduction to Cretan to seasonal cooking and the culture of Cretan gastronomy - cuisine.
- Or maybe you would like to visit one of the best wineries in Crete, Manousakis Winery.
- Samaria Gorge is the longest gorge in Europe, if you like gorges, walk through this gorge and the experience will be unique. It is a long gorge, 16km, and you need about 6 hours to pass it, which means that it is not allowed to walk the long way if you have any health problem. If you think that 16km is too many, you can see the last part of the gorge. You have to drive to Chora Sfakion and then you take the boat to Agia Roumeli, where is the exit of the gorge, you just have to walk a few kilometers in the gorge, at least till the most narrow point "portes".
- Next to Samaria gorge, there is another gorge, shorter but very beautiful because it is very narrow in some points. This is Imbros gorge and you need just 2 hours to pass it. You can combine this walk, with swimming in Fragokastelo beach, as it is very close to the exit of the gorge.
- For those who love horse riding, there is a horse riding center in Akrotiri, that organizes daily excursions in that area. You just need to make a reservation.
- Explore Rethymno's old town and especially the waterfront and streets just behind. Walk along the harbor wall to the Venetian lighthouse. The Fortezza (fortress) was built by the Venetians (1573) to protect the city. Not only are walls, but the church and the remains of its buildings of interest, the views from it to the town are also a great way to start planning your tour of the town. There are also sweeping sea views. Open daily.
- Don't miss to visit Rethimnon's Archaeological Museum which occupies a building almost directly opposite the entrance to the fortress. It's worth a look especially if you are going to the bigger museums in other towns. Here you could enjoy Minoan pottery and sarcophagi and lots of Roman coins, jewelry, pots, and statues, all from Rethimno province. Take a look at an unusual unfinished Roman statue of Aphrodite.
- Head South from Rethymno to the sandy Palm Beach of Preveli, a sand-filled cove right at the end of the Kourtaliotiko gorge, where a freshwater estuardy feeds a little oasis complete with palm grove and the cluster of oleanders ( at the beginning and the end of the season it is lovely).
- More uplifting activities in Chania region.
- Check-in: 14.00 pm
- Check out: 12.00 pm
- Minimum Stay: 1-2 nights, depending on the season
- Payment Policy: Please check here
- Cancellation Policy: Please check here
How To Get There
This historic manor house fits perfectly in the picturesque old town of Chania. It is the ideal choice for those looking for a small hotel with a small number of rooms and an intimate atmosphere. Its stylish interior design is ultra-modern – which incorporates creative use of light and color. This in no way detracts from the historic appeal of the architecture of the old townhouse. The fusion of bold colors, stylish designer furniture, and bare brickwork give the rooms their own personal charm. Although the Hotel Fatma Hanoum is tucked away in a small alley in the center of Chania, it is still just a 15-minute stroll away from the nearest beach.
Elia Fatma Boutique Hotel is located in the old town of Chania, just a few meters from the old harbour. All the main attractions are easily accessible on foot and the closest beach is about 500m away.
- By Air
From April through October there are direct charter flights to Chania (15km). and more frequently, to the capital Heraklion (144km). Tickets can be bought in advance for almost all flights via our partner website.
- By Sea
"The journey is the thing". A superb way of enjoying the journey to Crete is to fly to Athens and take the ferry from Piraeus (Pireas) - the port serving Athens. A still-romantic was to travel by the overnight ferry from Piraeus to Chania-Souda port (7km). Tickets can be bought in advance for all ferries via our partner website.
- By Car
If you want to explore the region while you're here, we recommend that you rent a car, other means of transport are limited and/or infrequent. We suggest our sister website Crete-Car-Rental.com, which offers competitive prices and you can collect your car at either airport.
- By Taxi
Book your taxi transfer online easily and safely from the airport or port to any location via our partner website.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through CreteTravel.com
- Dining: Breakfasts at Fatma Hanoum Boutique Hotel are legendary and delicious with plenty of Cretan products. Small Bar of the hotel provides hot and cold beverages.
- Internet Access: Free WiFi throughout
- Smoking: Smoking is not allowed in the rooms and all indoor communal areas
- Meetings/Functions: Not available
- Swimming Pool: Not available
- Spa Treatments: Massage upon request
- Disabled Access: Not suitable
- Pets: Pets are not allowed
- Languages Spoken: Greek, English
- Parking: Free public parking nearby the hotel
- Reception: Off-Season is closed from 15.00 - 18.30 and after 21.00 and during high season it is closed from 24.00 - 08.00.
- Extra Services (surcharge): Transfer to and from Chania Airport, Limousine Service, Renting a small plane or helicopter, Photographer, Yacht or sailing chartering for a cruise