If you like, you can eat all your meals at Ammos.
Ammos has a great kitchen that cooks everything fresh from locally sourced ingredients. The regular menu of simple Greek fare is outstanding, and with daily specials written on the notice board each morning, you can dream about your next meal as you lay in the sun.
Even the wine is sourced from a nearby winery, and Nikos can arrange a tour for an afternoon excursion.
A signature and elegantly presented buffet breakfast (optional, no need to pre-book but highly recommended) featuring many Cretan and international delicacies with extra charge as breakfast are not included in the room price.
You can spend a week here and still not try everything: spinach pie, orange cake, homemade granola, Cretan cookies, seasonal fruits, and creamy Greek yogurt swirled with thyme honey.
Ammos Breakfast: yogurt, honey, muesli, homemade jam, variety of fresh seasonal fruits and vegetables, several types of home-made cakes (orange, banana, and lemon) and pies (spinach, cheese), cookies, local sweet/savory pastries, salads, bread, Cretan dakos (barley rusk topped with grated tomato and mizithra goat cheese), variety of local cheeses, hard-boiled eggs, freshly squeezed orange juice, coffee/tea of your choice (including cinnamon & aloe vera iced tea and organic green iced tea) and more. Supplementary eggs of your choice an additional 3 euros.
Breakfast served daily from 8.15 to 11.30.
The good life continues after breakfast. Ammos Hotel provides a restaurant that remains open the whole day offering all the meals, using local first quality products. The restaurant is located right on the beach, just at the perfect place to enjoy your dinner facing the sunset.
Simplicity, freshness, seasonal ingredients brought from local markets (organic where available), old fashioned Cretan and Greek recipes with a rediscovered homey touch, unpretentious but smart presentation, friendly prices, and service with a smile. Highly suggested the roast lamb with fennel, artichoke hearts with broad beans, grilled snapper with potatoes, marathopites, papoutsakia, marinated anchovies, ntolmadakia with herbs and rice and more. The menu is reassuringly small (it keeps it "fresh"), but there was always at least one vegetarian option.
The London Times food critic, Alex Renton, who visited in April 2012, was so impressed that he hailed the hotel as a "known foodie destination". The setting is simply unbeatable: Stunning interiors and a balcony and terrace looking out right on the beachfront (food and drinks are accompanied by the sounds of the sea and dramatic sunsets).
- many dishes are suitable for vegetarians, vegans, and/or those who are lactose or gluten intolerant. Please remember to inform the front desk and waiting for staff about your allergies and remember that Ammos menu descriptions do not necessarily include all used ingredients.
- The tap water at Ammos is perfectly drinkable. It is also much healthier than water in plastic.
Info: The kitchen stays open all day long. It starts early in the morning with its signature buffet breakfast and ti continues serving till late into the night (the restaurant also caters to Ammos guests at the pool and beach area).
If you are looking for more variety, ask Nikos to book you a taxi into Chania’s old town. Here you’ll find atmospheric or even traditional tavernas and restaurants.
Kids are always welcome to Ammos Design Hotel (especially infants and small children). Ammos is ideal for kids because of the sandy beach, the shallow water, and the separate kids' pool.
The Garden-view Suites sleep is most appropriate for families of 4 people. The Twin Studios suit for couples with 1 child. Children's beds are comfy, full size and don't need unfolding.
The Hotel provides also a kids' club/playroom, full of toys, where the kids can spend a lot of their time (parent supervised). It is best suited to children up to 5 years old and is mostly parent-supervised. Ammos also offers 4 hours of complimentary childcare in the playroom every day Monday – Friday.
Ammos provides for kids: Baby-cots, baby chairs, baby baths, baby blankets, baby towels, a bottle sterilizer, blender, and microwave for guest's use.
English-speaking babysitting and childcare are available by pre-arrangement.
- It is said that the west side of Crete is the most beautiful part of the island because it is very green and it has many nice beaches. Ammos Hotel is situated on this part of the island and very close to Chania city.
- Visit Chania, the most beautiful city on the island, enjoy your drink at the old port or a meal in one of the restaurants of the old city. Walk in the narrow streets and see the different architectural styles of the buildings. Visit the naval museum that is situated at the port and walk to the lighthouse, this is the right point to admire the port and the city. Enjoy live Cretan folk music over dinner at many of the tavernas; or browse through the souvenir shops – leather goods, jewelry, and more others.
- A trip by car I would suggest: To "Therissos" - you drive through a beautiful gorge. The village itself is historic and has some good tavernas like "Andartis". But if you have time, you can continue further to Zourva and come down to Chania again via Meskla. This is a spectacular drive (if the atmosphere is clear and not too hazy), marked on some maps as unpaved - but it is now paved. Just after Zourva there is a taverna on its own with glass windows with 360 views and good local food.
- Samaria Gorge is the longest gorge in Europe, if you like gorges, walk through this gorge and the experience will be unique. It is a long gorge, 16km, and you need about 6 hours to pass it, which means that it is not allowed to walk the long way if you have any health problem. If you think that 16km is too many, you can see the last part of the gorge. You have to drive to Chora Sfakion and then you take the boat to Agia Roumeli, where is the exit of the gorge, you just have to walk a few kilometers in the gorge, at least till the most narrow point "portes".
- Next to Samaria gorge, there is another gorge, shorter but very beautiful because it is very narrow in some points. This is Imbros gorge and you need just 2 hours to pass it. You can combine this walk, with swimming in Fragokastelo beach, as it is very close to the exit of the gorge.
- Falasarna, is a very long beach that is located on the west part of the island, 44km from your hotel, What makes this beach so unique, is the length, you can walk along the sandy beach for a lot of time. Or drive 2 hours southwest to Elafonisi (try and get there before the afternoon crowds), or 1 hour west the well-known Balos Beach (the latter requires a short hike or a boat from Kastelli)
- The island of Agii Theodori is located very close to the Hotel. You can reserve a one day cruise to visit the island that is a refuge for the typical Cretan goats " kri-kri".
- For those who love horse riding, there is a horse riding center in Akrotiri, that organizes daily excursions in that area. You just need to make a reservation.
* Ask Nikos about his secret beach and more tips for eateries, things to do, etc.
- More activities in Chania Region.
- Check-in: 13.00 pm
Please note that the Ammos reception closes at midnight. In case of late arrival, please let us know.
- Check out: 12.00 pm
Minimum Stay: 3-7 nights, depending on the season.
- Payment Policy:
- Credit card details (Visa or Mastercard) are required to charge the deposit amount (10% of total) to confirm the reservation.
- 50% of the remaining balance will be charged (non-refundable) 21 days before the scheduled arrival by Ammos Hotel.
- 50% of the remaining balance is to be paid directly to the Ammos Hotel upon departure.
- Last-minute cancellation (last 7 days before arrival), no-show, or reduction of stay-while here – results in full charge.
- No additional charges will be made to the credit card unless cancellation charges have to be applied.
- Visa and MasterCard are accepted by the Ammos hotel.
- Cancellation Policy:
- No penalty fees apply if the guest cancels up to 4 weeks before arrival.
- A 50% charge of the total amount is incurred if guests cancel within 4 weeks before the scheduled arrival (non-refundable deposit).
- Last-minute cancellation (last 7 days before arrival), no-show, or reduction of stay-while here-result in full charge.
Kindly be aware that the policy is performed without exception and it equally applies to any reduction of confirmed dates (for example, telling us 12 days before your arrival that guest will be arriving 2 days later would incur a 50% charge of the value of those canceled nights).
Please note that the hotel retains always the right to not accept any date change which alters the initial confirmed dates (even if no penalty fees apply).
How To Get There
Ammos Hotel is located right on a sandy beach of Agii Apostoli, and just 5 km from Chania's picturesque town.
- By Air
From April through October there are direct charter flights to Chania (25 km from the hotel) or Heraklion airport (143 km). Tickets can be bought in advance for almost all flights via our partner website.
- By Boat
"The journey is the thing". A superb way of enjoying the journey to Crete is to fly to Athens and take the ferry from Piraeus (Pireas) - the port serving Athens. A still-romantic way to travel by the overnight ferry from Piraeus to Chania-Souda port (25 km from the hotel). Tickets can be bought in advance for all ferries via our partner website.
- By Car
If you want to explore the region while you're here, we recommend that you rent a car, other means of transport are limited and/or infrequent. We suggest our sister website, which offers competitive prices and you can collect your car at either airport.
- By Taxi
Book your transfer online easily and safely from the airport or port to any location via our partner website
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through CreteTravel.com
- Dining: Buffet Breakfast costs 10.50 Euros per adult, 6.50 Euros per child till 10 years old. Ammos Hotel provides a restaurant that remains open the whole day offering homemade Greek cuisine. All rooms have a fridge and a small kitchenette. There are a few bars and restaurants within walking distance or could find more at Chania (10 mins)
- Internet Access: High-speed WiFi free of charge in every room and throughout the hotel. There is an internet corner (complimentary)
- Swimming Pool: Yes, equipped with sunbeds and umbrellas and a separate kid's pool. Pool towels available from Ammos. This is a heated pool with an environmentally friendly pool heating system. Pool water maintains at approximately 24-25 Celsius degrees
- Spa Treatments: Ammos provides a spa that offers many body treatments, an excellent range of massages, yoga, and shiatsu
- Disabled Access: Not suitable
- Pets: Not allowed
- Languages Spoken: Greek, English, French, German, Spanish
- Parking: Parking place just out of the Hotel, for the Hotel's guests
- Good to know :
Ammos get rid of tv sets in the rooms since 2018. For the ones that tv is essential, the hotel can still provide you with an old one.
As of 2018, the entire top floor of the pool & beachfront building, made up of 6 studios, will be deluxe sea view studios. Sea view studios are either on the ground floor by the swimming pool or on the top floor above the reception/restaurant area.
Shower and changing rooms for late check-outs