- Ionas Hotel is in the old town of Chania, very close to the old harbor, but away from the noise. This is the ideal point to explore the whole city with the narrow streets and admire the old buildings with the different architectural styles. Start your walk from the market, with all the typical Cretan products as honey, cheese, different kinds of tea, olive oil, wine, handicrafts, etc., then walk to Koum Kapi with all the cafes on the sea, and then to Splanzia that during the Turkish period was the Turkish quarter. In the city center is the archeological museum and on the west side of the port the Maritime Museum.
- For a trip by car I would suggest: To "Therissos" - you drive through a beautiful gorge. The village itself is historic and has some good tavernas like "Andartis". But if you have time, you can continue further to Zourva and come down to Chania again via Meskla. This is a spectacular drive (if the atmosphere is clear and not too hazy), marked on some maps as unpaved - but it is now paved. Just after Zourva there is a taverna on its own with glass windows with 360 views and good local food.
- Go hiking through the Samaria Gorge, 18km long, that ends up on the south coast, at the village of Agia Roumeli, It takes 5-6 hours to pass it, so be prepared, take with you a snack, your hat, hiking shoes and an abundant supply of water.
- Next to Samaria gorge is the gorge of Agia Irini, this is a shorter and easier one. It ends up at the Sougia Village also on the south coast.
- Go for climbing or just hiking at White Mountains (Lefka Ori) on the slope of Gingilos(2000 m), reached from Omalos.
- Visit the peninsula of Chania. There are three monasteries up there. Agia Triada, Gouverneto, and a ruined one, Katholiko, You need to hike from Gouverneto to Katholiko, the path is short and easy, and you get impressed when you face the ruined monastery in front of you. Very close to Katholiko is a small beach, a perfect place for swimming.
- For sunbathing, we propose Falasarna Beach, a long beach 4 km long, on the west coast. A part of the beach is well organized with umbrellas and sunbeds, this part attracts many people, but the rest of the beach is very quiet, The beach is so long that you will find a nice place to relax.
- Or maybe you prefer to drive a bit further for a truly idyllic beach, drive 2 hours southwest to Elafonisi, we prefer the Kedrodasos (cedar forest).
- Take the ferry to Gramvousa Island one of the small satellite islands of Crete. It is situated on the northwest side of the island and can be reached by boat in about an hour from the town of Kastelli Kissamos. The ferry that will take you there leaves in the morning and sails close to the coastline giving you the opportunity to take a good look at the landscape and the phenomenon of land elevation by six to nine meters above sea level (you can see the difference in the colour of the rocks - the west of Crete has been rising out of the sea while the east has been sinking for the last 2000 years).
- More exciting activities around Chania.
- Check-in: 12.30 -24.00 pm
- Check out: 08.00 - 11.30 am
- Minimum Stay: 2-3nights, depending on the season
- Payment Poilcy:
Credit card details (Visa or MasterCard) are required to charge the deposit amount of 30% in order to confirm reservation.
Balance of 70% will be charged 1 week before your arrival date.
No additional charges will be made to the credit card unless cancellation charges have to be applied.
- Cancellation Policy:
Up to 2 weeks before arrival - full refund.
After that period, 30% of the total amount will be charged if you cancel.
Not arriving at the hotel for your booking: the full balance will be charged (at the hotel's discretion).
Departure before booked departure date: at the hotel's discretion, the full balance may be charged by the hotel.
How To Get There
Ionas Hotel is located in the Old Town of Chania. All the main attractions are easily accessible on foot and the closest beach is about 1.5 km away.
- By Air
From May through mid-October there are direct charter flights to Chania (17 km from the Hotel) and, more frequently, to the capital Heraklion (140 km). Tickets can be bought in advance for almost all flights via our partner website.
- By Sea
"The journey is the thing". A superb way of enjoying the journey to Crete is to fly to Athens and take the ferry from Piraeus (Pireas) - the port serving Athens. A still-romantic way to travel by the overnight ferry from Piraeus to Chania-Souda port (8 km from the Hotel), or to Heraklion port (140 km). Tickets can be bought in advance for all ferries via our partner website.
- By Car
If you want to explore the region while you're here, we recommend that you rent a car, other means of transport are limited and/or infrequent. We suggest our sister website Crete-Car-Rental.com, which offers competitive prices and you can collect your car at either airport.
- By Taxi
Book your taxi transfer online easily and safely from the airport or port to any location via our partner website.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through CreteTravel.com
- Dining: Ionas Hotel offers breakfast at the cafe on the ground floor
- Internet Access: Free WiFi throughout all rooms and public spaces
- Swimming Pool: Not available
- Spa Treatments: Not available
- Disabled Access: Not suitable
- Pets: Not allowed
- Languages Spoken: Greek, English, German
- Parking: You could use for free, the public car park just nearby the hotel