On a rural hillside amid olive trees, this polished apartment eco-hotel in a collection of stone houses is 1 km from Diamantakis Winery and just 29 km from Heraklion Airport.
Arriving in the village firmly in the center of Crete, within reach of north and south coasts, the village of Asites, Heraklion with a small walkable gorge filled with the treats of nature undisturbed, these two villas (or 4 apartments) cast of stone which blend traditional features with modern convenience and comfort and another more modern building with one studio and two deluxe apartments, reception and a warm place for some great food and breakfast.
A lovely place to enjoy the calm, to relax and be carefree by the pool and happily discover this very beautiful area of Crete. Lovers of comfort and authenticity, wineries and monasteries, hiking and trekking, that seek holidays away from mass tourism will love this place.
The slight altitude of the village provides a dry climate year-round with temperatures inside remaining comfortable because of the thick stone walls. Air conditioning is not needed, heat in summer is not enough to be uncomfortable and stone houses remain cool. Fireplaces and central heating make for cozy winter holidays.
The living area and dining area are open to ample kitchens. Furniture is traditional in style and practicality.
Four bedrooms provide accommodation for an extended family or group of friends to stay in comfort. Bedrooms vary in size from small to mid-size. Two have double beds and two single beds. There are three bathrooms and a living room and dining area with seats for all.
Outdoors offers terraces, outdoor dining table and chairs, pool and surrounding terrace, and barbecue area.
The newly (2015) rooms, (one studio, one deluxe one-bedroom apartment, and one deluxe two-bedroom apartment) are decorated with simple and elegant furnishings giving to them a special ambiance and a pleasant atmosphere.
Kato Asites - a small charming village with equally good views in the center of Crete where both north and south coasts are not far away. Nearby Kerasia is a tiny village, routes for walking and driving are scenic. Rural feel, nearby Convent, archaeology, Zaros & gems of villages via scenic routes.
Drive two minutes up the road to "Earino" taverna where everything in food from tasty crepes to full-blown Greek or Cretan meals are served well, with a smile, hospitality, and an even more spectacular view.
Up and on past the church of Agii Apostoli, stuck out on a rock promontory dangling over the rural sweep of olive trees, vineyards, and fruit trees on the hillsides. This is a scenic route to Agia Varvara from where you can go on to Zaros and the fascinating day drive to Amari.
Why We Like It
- Kato Asites is a peaceful rural village and a good base to explore many central island features.
- An ideal place to enjoy the calm, relax and be carefree by the pool. It is a beautiful destination for lovers of comfort and authenticity, that seek holidays away from mass tourism.
- Nikos the owner is extremely kind and helpful, just ask for all you need (activities, monasteries, taverns)
Good To Know
- During the very hot days, the apartments on the highest floor could get hot as they don't have any air-conditioning.
- We recommend that you rent a car as other means of transport are not available.
Asion Lithos Traditional Houses is built on two levels with absolute respect to the local architecture, the houses have been built in a beautiful natural environment overlooking the village of Kato Asites and the unique Cretan landscape.
In addition, the newly (since 2015) rooms, (one studio, one deluxe one-bedroom apartment, and one deluxe two-bedroom apartment) are decorated with simple and elegant furnishings giving to them a special ambiance and a pleasant atmosphere.
Every house has two apartments and studios on the ground and first floor that are comfortable and well equipped. Two of the houses can be rented as a whole or you can rent any one of the separate apartments. The third house has a restaurant, a bar, and a breakfast area open to a large verandah.
These two-story houses, with four bedrooms, 2 with twin beds and 2 with double beds. One bedroom has an en suite bathroom with a bathtub and hydromassage jets. 3 bathrooms in total in each house.
Superior Studio-Room (up to 2 people - 40m2-on ground floor) featuring one extra-large double bed, sofa bed, and a spa bath. This air-conditioned studio is fitted with stone details and a fireplace. Opening to a terrace, it offers a flat-screen, satellite TV, and a kitchenette with a dining table and mini oven with cooking hobs. A washing machine and ironing facilities are included. Free Wi-Fi is provided.
Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment (up to 3 people - 50m2-on 1st floor ) provides a spacious bedroom with a large double bed and a sofa bed. This apartment opens to 2 balconies and includes -free WiFi -satellite channels -air conditioning -a shower with a hydromassage panel -a fully equipped kitchen.
Deluxe Two-Bedroom and two bathroom Apartment ( up to 5 people - 68.00 m2-on 1st floor) opens to 2 balconies with great views and includes -free WiFi -satellite channels -air conditioning -a shower with a hydromassage panel -a fully equipped kitchen. Bed types: 2 Single, 1 Sofa Bed, 1 Large Double.
Fully equipped kitchens (full ovens and cooking utensils) downstairs, second kitchenette upstairs. TV with satellite reception, phone, internet, laundry facilities for both houses is in a separate unit by the road entrance to the villas. Iron and ironing board. Both houses have balconies and terraces to enjoy the open views down to the valley & village.
A large swimming pool shared between the 2 houses. There is air conditioning, though the stone houses are naturally cool and benefit from above sea level altitude, there is central heating for the cold winter days. House cleaning every 2 days. Parking place.
The houses can be booked as Two-bedroom Apartments and as One-bedroom Apartment as well, providing the same facilities as described above.
The fully equipped kitchens (full ovens and cooking utensils) are a delight to use. Buy your local products from the village ask an old lady in the village for a good one and "easy" recipe and .... start to "create".
Or maybe you believe that ... Nothing in this world goes together better than barbecue and cold wine. Then you could use the outdoor barbeque area.
In each house or apartment, you will find coffee, sugar, local teas, olive oil, and raki. You can also order breakfast at 7.00 Euros per person.
In addition, set dinner is served on request at 15.00 Euros per person.
Too lazy ... then drive two minutes up the road to "Earino" taverna where everything in food from tasty crepes to full-blown Greek or Cretan meals are served well, with a smile, hospitality, and even more spectacular view. There is another charmy tavern in the village.
All ages are welcome at Asion Lithos Traditional Houses but in truth, it's best for older children (6 and over) due to the many steps down to the pool.
If you come with younger ones, the owners ask that you supervise them carefully.
- Walk the small alleys of Asites Village, get in touch with the local culture and learn about the customs of this area, collect local herbs and visit one of the plenty local traditional businesses (wineries, Diamantaki Winery is a great one, craftwork labors). Test your skills by cooking local specialties in the wood oven of Asiion Lithos, the grill, or the kitchen with the help of a local chef.
- Visit the nearby monastery of Saint Georgioy of Gorgoeleimon or Gorgolaini which has Venish landmarks from 1617 with a fabricate lion. The monastery was very probably built during the last few years of Venish hold in Crete. The Turks have destroyed it three times and each time was rebuilt. This monastery played a very important role in the revolutions because of its place in the mountains.
- Lovers of hiking will find here their heart’s desire; the village of Asites is located at the foot of Psiloritis Mountain, very close to the marked pathway E4 ( Venerato-Asites ). And for the most experienced, it is about a 1-hour walk from Asites Village up to the Prinos refuge at 1.200 meters.
- The nearby gorges of Saint Charalampos and Saint Antonios are offered for naturalist walks and excursions of recreation. The gorge of Saint Antonios is found Easternly in the village of Ano Ascites. In his entry, you will see the small chapel that gave the name in the landscape, Saint Antonios. The studies showed that in this gorge exist 80 species of flora, from which the 4 are protected, according to Community directive 92/43. Have been counted also 24 species of fauna, from which 11 are protected.
- Visit the archaeological site of Ancient Trizinia at 2 km and the Monastery Moni Palianis near Venerato.
- Explore the secrets of local wine at one of the nearby wineries (Diamantakis and Douloufakis Winery).
- The nearest beaches are those of the north coast: Amoudara at 15 km and Ligaria close to Agia Pelagia, at 30 km. The lovely beaches of the southern coast are approximately 40 km away: Kalamaki, Komos and Agios Pavlos and the beaches of wilder character: Agiofarago, Vathi, and Marsalo.
- Head into Heraklion Town (24 km) to sip iced coffee or Greek coffee and eat a bougatsa (a pastry that wraps up a yummy custard and then is sprinkled with cinnamon and icing sugar) around the 17th-century Morosini fountain. Don't miss to explore the Venetian sea walls and fortress and visit the Archeological Museum (it's currently closed for renovation, but there's a temporary exhibition to explore). The Museum, as Knossos as well, is almost always crowded (at least in Summer) therefore try to see it early or late for during everyone else's lunch break.
- Or maybe you would like to drive down south to Gortyna, Phaestos, Zaros, or the south coast lapping on the shore at Lentas or the cave-surrounded beach of Matala. The scenic drive via time-worn villages, to Amari, is also within reach.
- Perhaps the most exciting part of the travel experience in Crete is the island’s food and wine treasures. This region has a valuable heritage of several traditional local varieties and superb wineries. Please ask Nikos the owner for more information.
- More uplifting activities in Heraklion region.
- Check-in: 13.00 pm
- Check out: 11.00 am
- Minimum Stay: 2-3 nights, depending on the season
- Payment Policy:
Credit card details (Visa or Mastercard) are required to charge the deposit amount in order to confirm the reservation.
No additional charges will be made to the credit card unless cancellation charges have to be applied.
Balance amount is to be paid directly to Asion Lithos at time of stay.
- Cancellation Policy:
Up to 15 days before arrival - full refund.
Between 15-10 days before arrival: the deposit is not refundable and 50%of the balance will be charged, in addition, if you cancel.
Cancellation 10 days or less before arrival or not arriving at the hotel for your booking - the full balance (100%) will be charged.
Departure before booked departure date: at the hotel's discretion, the full balance may be charged by the hotel.
How To Get There
Asion Lithos is located at Ano Asites village, an altitude 450 m, at the foot of Mount Psiloritis, and just 24 km far from Heraklion Town.
- By Air
From April through October there are direct charter and scheduled flights to Heraklion airport (29 km from the village) or Chania airport (158 km). Tickets can be bought in advance for almost all flights via our partner website.
- By Sea
If you love traveling by ferry, reserve a flight to Athens and then from Piraeus port to Heraklion by ferry. It takes 8 hours and the ferries are good. Tickets can be bought in advance for all ferries via our partner website.
- By Car
If you want to explore the region while you're here, we recommend that you rent a car, other means of transport are limited and/or infrequent. We suggest our sister website Crete-Car-Rental.com, which offers competitive prices and you can collect your car at either airport.
- By Taxi
Book your transfer online easily and safely from the airport or port to any location via our partner website
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through CreteTravel.com
- Dining: Both villas provide a fully equipped kitchen to prepare your meal, and also a BBQ and a wooden oven in the yard
- Internet Access: Free WiFi throughout
- Swimming Pool: There is a sharing pool, big enough for all the guests (60 m2)
- Spa Treatments: Not available
- Disabled Access: Not suitable
- Pets: Allowed
- Languages Spoken: Greek, English
- Parking: Private parking
- Other Facilities: Central heating during the Winter. There is no air conditioning, the stone houses are naturally cool and benefit from above sea level altitude.